Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 49

Thread: Why The Nikon Price List thread is not updated?

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Bukit Batok
    Posts
    207

    Unhappy Why The Nikon Price List thread is not updated?

    Hi guys & girls,

    Many of us using Nikon here have been posting prices around and may be some of you have tip the thread starter of the Nikon Price guide for their current price but yet no update was made so far.

    Now its more visible since our two new addition came on board D600 & D800/E which is no where to be found in the price guide.

    This makes sens why so many ppl keep asking for the price around.

    So why not keep the price guide update??

  2. #2

    Default

    Wah you very good person, volunteer helping to edit and update the price guide. I sure mod will give you the access for thread so you can help us. Thank you.

  3. #3

    Default Re: Why The Nikon Price List thread is not updated?

    Quote Originally Posted by GuessBoy View Post
    Hi guys & girls,

    Many of us using Nikon here have been posting prices around and may be some of you have tip the thread starter of the Nikon Price guide for their current price but yet no update was made so far.

    Now its more visible since our two new addition came on board D600 & D800/E which is no where to be found in the price guide.

    This makes sens why so many ppl keep asking for the price around.

    So why not keep the price guide update??
    Its a voluntarily basis thing, nobody gets paid or benefits from maintaining the price list.

    Maybe after you take over the job we will have constantly up to date price list from now onwards?
    WTB Manfrotto RC4 L Bracket

  4. #4
    Moderator catchlights's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Punggol, Singapore
    Posts
    21,902

    Default Re: Why The Nikon Price List thread is not updated?

    Not only Nikon price list not updated, there are others price list as well......

    I understand many members very willing to help, have some suggestion and also new format, but it maintaining it is a long term commitment, it will fall back to moderators eventually when the member stops updating the list..
    we will try to update it on weekly basis anyway.

    Nevertheless, if any members want to take up the task, can re-create or improvise a new price list base on the old or existing one, so the thread starter able to edit the thread as and when, it will be update more regularly.
    Last edited by catchlights; 1st October 2012 at 11:53 AM.
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Bukit Batok
    Posts
    207

    Default Re: Why The Nikon Price List thread is not updated?

    Quote Originally Posted by catchlights View Post
    Not only Nikon price list not updated, there are others price list as well......

    I understand many members very willing to help, have some suggestion and also new format, but it maintaining it is a long term commitment, it will fall back to moderators eventually when the member stops updating the list..
    we will try to update it on weekly basis anyway.

    Nevertheless, if any members want to take up the task, can re-create or improvise a new price list base on the old or existing one, so the thread starter able to edit the thread as and when, it will be update more regularly.
    Hum... i do understand.
    But could it be possible to have more than one person to be able to edit that?

  6. #6

    Default Re: Why The Nikon Price List thread is not updated?

    can try google docs? or learn from Sammyboy's Geylang List? hehe...someone just upload the excel file and whoever wants to update...just reply with the updated file? so the last post will have the updated list?
    paiseh...i know roughly but not the details. must ask Sammyboy.

  7. #7
    Member GReddyZC76's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    singapore, northeast
    Posts
    590

    Default Re: Why The Nikon Price List thread is not updated?

    imho, Sir @GuessBoy , ask not what the forum can do for you, rather seek /offer what you can do for the forum

    Sir @Catchlights, ya i did volunteer some time back, my bad, sort of tight up later, and i forgotten ok i see when i free to pick it up again?
    [D800|AFS2470F2.8G|AFS70200F2.8G|AFS1635F4G|AFS28F1 .8G|AF85F1.8D|AFDC105F2D|SB700|SB900]

  8. #8

    Default Re: Why The Nikon Price List thread is not updated?

    Quote Originally Posted by GReddyZC76 View Post
    imho, Sir @GuessBoy , ask not what the forum can do for you, rather seek /offer what you can do for the forum
    i think he never say he not willing to offer what he can do..but he was trying to find out the problem first.
    2 yrs ago cloud computing not so common and advance..maybe now there is a better solution...where people can collaborate online? sorry i am not the real IT expert so i don't have the specific solution

  9. #9
    Member GReddyZC76's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    singapore, northeast
    Posts
    590

    Default Re: Why The Nikon Price List thread is not updated?

    Sir BitchBum, if you can read the hidden message, the solution is simple.. sir @guessboy, can volunteer his service to update the price list/guide on a weekly basis, and see HOW LONG Sir @GuessBoy can last....

    one must understand, this forum is run purely on volunteer basis, non-commission. it ran by passion and long term commitment.

    with the above, instead asking, "So why not keep the price guide update??", instead, just Raise his Hands, Volunteer .

    period.
    [D800|AFS2470F2.8G|AFS70200F2.8G|AFS1635F4G|AFS28F1 .8G|AF85F1.8D|AFDC105F2D|SB700|SB900]

  10. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Bukit Batok
    Posts
    207

    Default Re: Why The Nikon Price List thread is not updated?

    Quote Originally Posted by GReddyZC76 View Post
    Sir BitchBum, if you can read the hidden message, the solution is simple.. sir @guessboy, can volunteer his service to update the price list/guide on a weekly basis, and see HOW LONG Sir @GuessBoy can last....

    one must understand, this forum is run purely on volunteer basis, non-commission. it ran by passion and long term commitment.

    with the above, instead asking, "So why not keep the price guide update??", instead, just Raise his Hands, Volunteer .

    period.
    Well Mr GReddyZC76,

    If you had read properlly what i've written i'm just wondering how come even though people in this forum tip the thread starter for the price guide of the latest prices, it didn't have any reflected change.

    I don't have to make it public to you if i'm vonlunteering or not. The Mod contacted me an we are trying to come up with something that hopefully can solve the current situation. We dont need people to come as say why XYZ don't volunteer we need solutions to the problem pointed out.

    Like the example i asked about if we could make it be possible that more than one person could update the thread. Which i feel will help to maintaine the list easier as we all recon no one is getting paid to do it thus at time the person who is doing it could be busy thus by enabling two people at very least it could ease the frequency that the sole person have to update the thread.

    Just my little contribution and thought on the matter.

  11. #11
    Moderator daredevil123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    lil red dot
    Posts
    21,627
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Why The Nikon Price List thread is not updated?

    Please be patient while we work out a solution to this.

  12. #12
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Toa Payoh
    Posts
    128

    Default Re: Why The Nikon Price List thread is not updated?

    Quote Originally Posted by catchlights View Post
    Nevertheless, if any members want to take up the task, can re-create or improvise a new price list base on the old or existing one, so the thread starter able to edit the thread as and when, it will be update more regularly.
    Couldn't we just continue on with what David has started? Some of the items are somewhat out of date but we could just update a certain segment first (such as the camera bodies) and work from there?

    The idea of having multiple people have access to modify might be helpful. Takes the onus off a singular member who might not always have the time to update the thread and given the interest people have in such, multiple "thread mods" might allow for a more up to date list.

  13. #13

    Default Re: Why The Nikon Price List thread is not updated?

    Quote Originally Posted by phoeniix View Post
    The idea of having multiple people have access to modify might be helpful. Takes the onus off a singular member who might not always have the time to update the thread and given the interest people have in such, multiple "thread mods" might allow for a more up to date list.
    Yeah. Thats true, if more than one ppl share the work, it will be easy to finish. And also if a person is busy of coming days, he may let another guy to ask help(who is also volunteer).. And talking about cloud computing is very good idea..
    ...Arun D...

  14. #14

    Default Re: Why The Nikon Price List thread is not updated?

    naaahhh.. just leave the pricelist to the moderators and let them update it. I think it is better to update them every three months so as not to hassle people. price guides are not the exact price anyway, they are just guides... so let the buyers do the research...

    but in this case.... it really needs a big revamp....

  15. #15

    Default Re: Why The Nikon Price List thread is not updated?

    I've been wondering the same thing for awhile. We don't say it often enough, but thanks to all who put in their time on this board! (I moderate a music forum, and I know how the little things can add up and it can really become a time-suck )

    If I may contribute a suggestion, how about we have a form to start collecting price updates first?
    At least there's something that'll serve as a temporary measure while we figure out the best solution.

    The mods/volunteers won't get flooded with PMs, while members can just refer to whatever data there is while things are being sorted out.

    Example:

    Share a price update: http://bit.ly/WaDz9n
    View spreadsheet data: http://bit.ly/SQvIgb (in List View)

    Update: Noticed a useful function that some might not be aware of. Viewing the spreadsheet in [List View] gives you sorting options. I have changed the link in this post to link directly to the List View.



    To get there manually via the old link some have quoted, go to the [View] dropdown menu and select [List].

    Last edited by kandinsky; 18th October 2012 at 04:01 PM.

  16. #16

    Default Re: Why The Nikon Price List thread is not updated?

    I tried updating it. After updating when I checked in view spreadsheet data. It is missing.
    ...Arun D...

  17. #17

    Default Re: Why The Nikon Price List thread is not updated?

    Quote Originally Posted by Arun D View Post
    I tried updating it. After updating when I checked in view spreadsheet data. It is missing.
    Looks fine, might have been because it only updates every 5mins?

  18. #18

    Default Re: Why The Nikon Price List thread is not updated?

    Although community assisted updates are good, there are issues to be considered. Eg. How to verify whether the info updated is correct, and not due to pranksters purposely providing wrong info, or even shop owners themselves providing wrong info to mislead people to visit their shops. Community assisted updates is more likely to be successful for cases like Carpark Parking Rates, where there are less motivations for pranksters to purposely provide wrong info.

    Measures need to be put in place. Eg. only accounts registered more than 1 year, with more than 50 posts can update, or maybe to publish only after a moderator has verified the price - but then this needs quite a lot of effort. Can't think of a good and effective way...

  19. #19

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Adnix
    Although community assisted updates are good, there are issues to be considered. Eg. How to verify whether the info updated is correct, and not due to pranksters purposely providing wrong info, or even shop owners themselves providing wrong info to mislead people to visit their shops. Community assisted updates is more likely to be successful for cases like Carpark Parking Rates, where there are less motivations for pranksters to purposely provide wrong info.

    Measures need to be put in place. Eg. only accounts registered more than 1 year, with more than 50 posts can update, or maybe to publish only after a moderator has verified the price - but then this needs quite a lot of effort. Can't think of a good and effective way...
    U have a good point ...

    I guess users of the info have to take it with a pinch of salt, don't rely 100% on the info, just use it as a gauge. Best source is always call the shops directly to enquire.

  20. #20
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Seletar Estate, Singapore
    Posts
    478

    Default Re: Why The Nikon Price List thread is not updated?

    Quote Originally Posted by kandinsky View Post
    I've been wondering the same thing for awhile. We don't say it often enough, but thanks to all who put in their time on this board! (I moderate a music forum, and I know how the little things can add up and it can really become a time-suck )

    If I may contribute a suggestion, how about we have a form to start collecting price updates first?
    At least there's something that'll serve as a temporary measure while we figure out the best solution.

    The mods/volunteers won't get flooded with PMs, while members can just refer to whatever data there is while things are being sorted out.

    Example:

    Share a price update: http://bit.ly/WaDz9n
    View spreadsheet data: http://bit.ly/UUPN2u
    Very good initiative, easy to use.
    Fuji X100s, Tamron 17-50 f2.8 vc, Nikon 55-200mm, 35mm 1.8f

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •