Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Standard of workshops provided :(

Default Re: Standard of workshops provided :(

Quote Originally Posted by kei1309 View Post
    Eddie Adams is not alive anymore either...

and i do share the same suspicion as Uncle Catchlights

btw. i should think that this is TS as per his given name "Seah Beng Chiat":
    wow! CSI clubsnap!
    if only people scrutinized all parties equally.

ps- i totally forgotten about that pic! where has all those years gone to? and where is John of photoi now? anyone has his latest?

Quote Originally Posted by yvanehtnioj View Post
    if only people scrutinized all parties equally.

ps- i totally forgotten about that pic! where has all those years gone to? and where is John of photoi now? anyone has his latest?
    totally agree with you.

sorry about earlier.

Quote Originally Posted by kei1309 View Post
    totally agree with you.

sorry about earlier.
    no problemo
    Last edited by yvanehtnioj; 30th September 2012 at 11:46 PM. Reason: mistaken identity

Was keen to hone my photography skill.
    Browse through the workshops subforum.
    Was apalled by the sample images given by one provider.

The images only illustrated the lack of basic knowledge when shooting products,
    even to one not very experienced like me.
    the trainee, if any, would be like the blind being led by the blind

A sorry state of affair
    Should we, as a community of photographers, allow that to carry on?
    What is your take on this?
    I don't disagree with you that some workshop organizers probably shouldn't be teaching anything, but it's a free world and free market.

There are many examples out there, within photography you also have half-past-six people doing wedding and event photography when they don't really have a clue... When it comes to workshops there are loads out there which teach you all sorts of skills when the trainers won't be the best.. That's life. Personally, if you think you have nothing to gain, then it is a simple answer for you - don't join. Otherwise, if no one really finds value in it, sooner or later the workshop organizer/trainers will not get enough students and will end up doing other things.

I don't think CS should start saying to workshop organizers that they CMI and therefore cannot advertise classes here -

(1) Who's to judge?
    (2) Who's to ensure that the judgement is fair and doesn't stem from some personal vendetta?
    (3) Even if what is taught is rudimentary, some people don't want to learn themselves, so such workshop will exist for them?

Blog Entries

@allenleonhart:

-I am prettty sure i didn't mention about force being used.

-If willing buyer/seller means there is no need for monitoring, than all those threads about rogue shops must be a waste of bandwidth to you.

-Good for you that you need not attend any, in your own words, i guessed you are not a 'total beginner'.

I honestly doubt that all the workshops there are for total beginners, as some heading suggested techniques required by a more advance photographers. And a few seems pretty qualified to teach the field that they advertised to teach. My gripe here is with some minorities without a basic concept of what they sought to teach.
    I am hoping that as members of a photography community, we should consider placing our beloved art first and money making second.

Will google on Eddie Adam, just hope he is good in the field that I am interested in.
    Again, the caveat buyers beware, applies here as well. The onus is on the buyer to ensure that he has done sufficient research before buying. As mentioned by many others, what is defined as good? I would say that individual talent is important, that as a trainer perhaps the only thing they can teach (in terms of product photography) is how to use the equipment. Ultimately is up to the individual photographer to use the tools at hand to achieve what he wants to shoe.

Eddie Adams mati long long time ago. But its one of the leading photojournalism workshops around. Eddie was one of the founders of magnum. If this not good enough for you... I dhnno what is.

Quote Originally Posted by Kit View Post
    perhaps you should start teaching?
    excellent idea ! I think you have seen a shortfall in the standards

Since you have a good idea of what is desirable and good

It would greatly benefit everyone if you were to share your skill and experience.
    宁愿遇见丢失幼崽的母熊,也不愿碰上做蠢事的愚人

So what aspects of product photography you want to learn?

Blog Entries

mod,

maybe you can help me to delete this thread?
    thought i raised a rather valid point, but it seems like its not very welcome here.
    I dont know you and I have nothing against you personally to want to delete your thread.

But sorry brother.... your point might hold validity IF you have plonked down the $$$ and actually ATTENDED the workshop and came away feeling like you wasted your time and money

You are essentially blasting a workshop that you have not even attended based on a few (advertising ) images the workshop organizer put up which were obviously not up to your expectations ...

AT LEAST THANK the workshop organizer that they're truthful in their advertising by putting up those images rather than putting up other images that could well mislead what is to be expected

These images obviously saved you some money here .... so why the harsh words ?

For $55 (If you are referring to THAT workshop) I guess you are expecting to learn enough to next shoot for Tiffany's or Hour Glass ?

Please talk with action not with words

No need to conduct workshop ..... just lead a gathering or outing for product photography (Goodness knows we have NOT had one of these for the longest time already) .....

Follow the lead taken by some big-hearted CS'ers who have put in their time and effort leading free weekend walks and outings for Beginners, Strobists, Food, Landscapes, Macro, Street .... and some even say JB too (literally)
    Last edited by ed9119; 1st October 2012 at 09:12 PM.
    shaddap and just shoot .... up close
    Walkeast

the only thing i follow in cs is bbb. don need the gear also buy.

I like the rare martell bottle image that was posted.
    I AM BORNFIRE!
    My Flickr/TFCD Service

Quote Originally Posted by phoakm
    You like the Martel or the picture? Haha
    There are no bad photographers, only photos that could've been done better
    My Flickr

Quote Originally Posted by eleveninth
    the only thing i follow in cs is bbb. don need the gear also buy.
    You as usual.
    I AM BORNFIRE!
    My Flickr/TFCD Service

Quote Originally Posted by Fudgecakes

You like the Martel or the picture? Haha
    Both. I have requested them to open but was rejected. Next time must steal from them.
    I AM BORNFIRE!
    My Flickr/TFCD Service

Just to clear the air here... I believe the TS is pointing to the Product Photography with Flash Workshop started by studiospace @$55.

I'm the owner of studiospace and also the trainer conducting this workshop. All these photos (as below) are taken by me using multiple flashes/speedlights with relevant modifiers mounted only.

In fact, I took these photos and used them as part of the course ware for the practical. As such over the past lessons, I do have over 200 students that can vouched for me on the use of flashes as they hold similar photos also.

To TS:
    I'm sorry if the photos are not done to your 'taste' as they are meant specially for the above workshop. The reasons why I choose flash over strobes is to emphasis the point that commercial product photography can be done by anyone, leveraging the use of the small flashes that most of us own. Of cos, I could have re-mod the workshop using strobes where I can command higher course fees and also would be much more easier for me to control the lightings. I do own professional Broncolor strobes in my studio for commercial work. At this juncture, I see no point in displaying my commercial portfolio in the public forum unless you want to engage my services which I welcome you to discuss directly with me at studiospace.

Ultimately, it is still anybody's choice to join my workshops and I have not 'forced' anybody to!

Thanks you.
    Last edited by sykestang; 1st October 2012 at 06:21 PM.
    Visit me at my studio: http://www.studiospace.com.sg

Quote Originally Posted by phoakm View Post
    That Martell is part of my collection... not for drinking, well, at least not in the near future.

Anyway, I welcome like minded photographers and drinkers to join me at my studio sometime... we could talk more bbb and of cos I still looking for drinkers for me to open my Moets
    Visit me at my studio: http://www.studiospace.com.sg

Quote Originally Posted by sykestang

That Martell is part of my collection... not for drinking, well, at least not in the near future.

Anyway, I welcome like minded photographers and drinkers to join me at my studio sometime... we could talk more bbb and of cos I still looking for drinkers for me to open my Moets
    Choi! I am not happy! Next time I bring my xo to your place. You drink xo, I drink apple juice.
    I AM BORNFIRE!
    My Flickr/TFCD Service

Quote Originally Posted by phoakm View Post
    You as usual.
    bahahaha.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by sykestang View Post

free martell drink? if yes i on

i thought the pics were fine. 55 bucks to learn how to shoot like that? quite ok what (good enough for most blogshop owners/small enterprises). machiam not like asking for 100K plus to do a full car set shoot for honda liddat right...

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ed9119 View Post
    I dont know you and I have nothing against you personally
    me neither here. this is his first post. even if he might have another account before, i also probably won't know him...

just incase some people thought i have a grudge against him. i very very long never come on CS already.

Blog Entries

2 days and no response from TS

as expected .... CKLPS .....

thread closed
    Last edited by ed9119; 3rd October 2012 at 10:42 AM.
    shaddap and just shoot .... up close
    Walkeast

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast