Thread: how to get take steady zoomed shots on a compact ?

Default how to get take steady zoomed shots on a compact ?

i am using a compact with 12x zoom.

problem is when i zoom in all the way, the pic will come out shaky and blurry (coz use hand to hold the cam)

is there any technique to overcome this hand-held problem ?

or wud it help if i were to buy a high-speed compact instead eg. the CASIO EXLIM EX-FH100 ?

btw, i do not want to venture in DSLRs.

Default Re: how to get take steady zoomed shots on a compact ?

What conditions are you shooting in? At night? If yes, you will either need to work on your breathing techniques and increase the ISO. Or suck it up and get a tripod.

If it's during the day, then there should be no problem. But I've never been impressed by the Casio cameras anyway. :P
    Alpha

i was just citing a example of a so-called high-speed compact camera.

so these so-called high-speed camera will not help ? but its just one of those at-the-moment shots that you suddenly chance upon ... so deploying a tripod is out of the question (i do have a tripod set)

Generally, PnS cameras do not have capabilities for fast AF if the light is dim.

so you should be looking for a DSLR or a mirrorless compact
    Last edited by kei1309; 30th September 2012 at 10:08 PM.

what about daytime .... afternoon time when the sun is high and bright ?

Quote Originally Posted by scyeo View Post
    what about daytime .... afternoon time when the sun is high and bright ?
    Then no halfway decent compact should have a problem, unless you really have bad technique or enjoy waving your camera around like crazy and still expect good shots.
    Alpha

Quote Originally Posted by Rashkae View Post
    Then no halfway decent compact should have a problem, unless you really have bad technique or enjoy waving your camera around like crazy and still expect good shots.
    or taking pictures Gangnam Style

Quote Originally Posted by kei1309 View Post
    or taking pictures Gangnam Style
    Only when you are around! TS will see you, put on dark shades and go gangnam on you!
    Alpha

problem is when i zoom in all the way, the pic will come out shaky and blurry (coz use hand to hold the cam)

or wud it help if i were to buy a high-speed compact instead eg. the CASIO EXLIM EX-FH100 ?

Have you tried pns with built in stabilisation? At 12x its about 300mm range. Even dslr users can have problem hand holding the camera all the way zoomed out.
    You wont see me much less remember me but i am the guy who makes you look good.

sorry ... i am not versed in photographic terms and techniques.

i was having the thought that if a fast PNS cam could have super fast shutter speed then the shot will be captured without the shaking effect ... guess i was dead wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by scyeo
    sorry ... i am not versed in photographic terms and techniques.

i was having the thought that if a fast PNS cam could have super fast shutter speed then the shot will be captured without the shaking effect ... guess i was dead wrong.
    Fast focusing does not mean sharp and motion-blur free shots

There are a few ways you can adopt to ensure more stability in your shot. Example like putting the camera on a stable surface like a table, or lean the camera against a vertical wall or pole, or kneeling down and put your elbow on the knee to stabilise etc etc.... for those who had went through range shooting during NS, the techniques used in keeping your rifle steady can be used as well. Another way is to use timer, as there will be some shake when you press the shutter button.

The best of course is to use a decent tripod.

Btw, the so call high speed shooting of the Casio I believe is referring to the number of frames per second it can take.
    Canon 80D|Panasonic LX3/LX5
    35f2 IS|50f1.8|85f1.8|12-24f4|18-135f4-5.6 IS|28-75f2.8

I had a Fuji pns, 30x zoom. As the folks mentioned, tripod etc helps. If have none of those, just hold it like a rifle and hold your breath. I sometimes hold my cam like a bazooka ie: resting on my shoulder. It's still difficult, but you'd get some keepers. At times manual settings works too (if lighting is too dim, etc) to counteract slow shutters

As you zoom in from wide onto the subject, the angle of view gets smaller. For the same degree of "shake", when you're at the max zoom range, with a small angle of view, the "shake" percentage-wise will be greatly manified. IS can only help so much, depending on the shutter speed and available light.

Quote Originally Posted by shierwin View Post
    As you zoom in from wide onto the subject, the angle of view gets smaller. For the same degree of "shake", when you're at the max zoom range, with a small angle of view, the "shake" percentage-wise will be greatly manified. IS can only help so much, depending on the shutter speed and available light.
    that's because just like a magnifying glass, zooming in is basically magnifying the subject.

Take note of your shutter speed if you are having issues with handshake-blur.
    As far as i can tell, the Casio ex-fh100 is only "high speed" in terms of shooting rate (frames per second). No correlation to reducing handshake-blur.
    12x zoom roughly translates to 300+ mm field of view on 35mm SLR. That is quite magnified, and any small movement will be greatly amplified.
    Cheapest option for stability is resting camera on an object (table, railing, etc). Else make use of monopod/tripod...
    Exploring! :)

Blog Entries

your camera is tiny so get a tabletop tripod ..... its either $5+ a piece or free gift

or set it on a flat steady surface and choose a 2sec timed release when you take your photos

even a top-of-the-line DSLR + 300mm equivalent focal length (your 12x zoom should be about that or even more!) has a risk of turning out out of focus images
    shaddap and just shoot .... up close
    Walkeast

Quote Originally Posted by ed9119 View Post
    even a top-of-the-line DSLR + 300mm equivalent focal length (your 12x zoom should be about that or even more!) has a risk of turning out out of focus images
    i kinda feel abit better after reading your quote above ....

Try practicing with a 30x zoom + 2.5multiplier extension and you'll know what crazy means. If you cannot handle a puny 10x zoom just shoot in manual mode and high iso to make the pics more steady

Quote Originally Posted by dennisc View Post
    I had a Fuji pns, 30x zoom. As the folks mentioned, tripod etc helps. If have none of those, just hold it like a rifle and hold your breath. I sometimes hold my cam like a bazooka ie: resting on my shoulder. It's still difficult, but you'd get some keepers. At times manual settings works too (if lighting is too dim, etc) to counteract slow shutters
    When you mount a PnS on a tripod, it is like having a monkey riding an elephant.....kekeke....

Well, at about 300mm, even with a dSLR, at times, it is difficult to shoot properly for several reasons:
    1 You need a higher shutter speed.
    2 Your largest aperture is F5.6 or even smaller
    3 Unless it is bright daylight, you end up with high ISO.

In short, it is very difficult to get decent shots with a PnS with 12x zoom.

An entry level dSLR like a Nk D3100 and a 55-200 zoom would be a much better to shoot at the tele end.

BTW, are you shooting something still or moving target?
    Last edited by La Fontaine; 11th October 2012 at 02:49 PM.
    Do not be afraid [of ghost and bullies] Shoot them......