Thread: Anyone using Photoshop Elements 3.0 here

Default Anyone using Photoshop Elements 3.0 here

and find it reaaaaaaaally sloooooooooow? My system is P3 1 Ghz, 256 mb ram, 8 mb video card with Win Xp SP2. Switching between Album and Editor takes ...same time to take a piss and come back, you know that slow. Is it a bug in the program or just my system is out of date?
    Question is will PS CS run faster on my setup, considering dumping PSE3.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Myfz1
    and find it reaaaaaaaally sloooooooooow? My system is P3 1 Ghz, 256 mb ram, 8 mb video card with Win Xp SP2. Switching between Album and Editor takes ...same time to take a piss and come back, you know that slow. Is it a bug in the program or just my system is out of date?
    nope. the problem lie with ur computer system. sorry ah... but, according to ur specs, u're pushing the envelope. for running PSE3 or PS CS, u really need a fast CPU (P4 2GHz and above) and lots and lots of RAM. PS is really very resource hungry. i'm running a P4 2.4GHz, 1GB RAM and a 128MB video card, and already some times it struggles to open more than 2 files at a time.
    If Life worked on auto mode then manual mode for photography would have never existed. ― Deeksha Mittal

PS CS run faster on your setup? You must be joking. If the time for PSE3 to switch files is between pissing, you will have time for a bath when you switch files in PS CS. But looking on the bright side, you will be a very "clean" person.

yeap. sorry, but 256MB ram is next to useless. upgrade!.

I specifically updated my pc from a 1 GB amd 1.8 ghz to a pentium 4 3ghz with 2GB ram just for photoshop..

(and while 2 gb is enough, sigh. i want 4gb, working in raw on more than 20 simultaneous pictures is annoying slow still).

It is definitely your system that is causing Elements 3 to be slow. With my current computer configuration, I find that Elements 3 loads much faster than Elements 2. Switching from edit mode to album mode or vice versa takes less than 10 sec. My setup consists of Intel P4 3.0Ghz, 1Gb DDR2 ram, and a 128Mb ATI X600XT videocard. from what I have gather, 512Mb ram is the recommended minimum for photo editing and 1Gb Ram is recommended. A good video card and a fast hard disk helps also. A fast processor, while helpful is not that important.

Using PSCS with your current setup will be even slower. If you do not wish to buy a new computer, I suggest that you upgrade your ram to 1Gb, and change your video card to a more powerful version, like Nvidia5600 or ATI9600 and above. Also if your motherboard can support SATA drive, get a pair of SATA harddisks and run them in RAID array. Even if it is just 1 SATA harddisk, it'll run faster than an IDE harddisk.

Oh yeah, keeping your computer free of junk programs that may eat up your memory resources helps too. Format your harddisk once in a while to keep them clutter free. Even the fiercest computer will slow down after some time when too much un-needed programs are installed, plus all those adware/spyware that are flying around in the internet/emails.

Just my 2 cents worth suggestion......

Kaoz you people are fierce P4 3GHZ, 1G ram etc
    Thank you for all the replys..... haizzzz look like bo pian, have to upgrade or get a new machine.

Quote Originally Posted by kelccm
    It is definitely your system that is causing Elements 3 to be slow. With my current computer configuration, I find that Elements 3 loads much faster than Elements 2. Switching from edit mode to album mode or vice versa takes less than 10 sec. My setup consists of Intel P4 3.0Ghz, 1Gb DDR2 ram, and a 128Mb ATI X600XT videocard. from what I have gather, 512Mb ram is the recommended minimum for photo editing and 1Gb Ram is recommended. A good video card and a fast hard disk helps also. A fast processor, while helpful is not that important.

Using PSCS with your current setup will be even slower. If you do not wish to buy a new computer, I suggest that you upgrade your ram to 1Gb, and change your video card to a more powerful version, like Nvidia5600 or ATI9600 and above. Also if your motherboard can support SATA drive, get a pair of SATA harddisks and run them in RAID array. Even if it is just 1 SATA harddisk, it'll run faster than an IDE harddisk.
    Wah!!!! My computers are really obsolete junk now

Kaoz you people are fierce P4 3GHZ, 1G ram etc
    Thank you for all the replys..... haizzzz look like bo pian, have to upgrade or get a new machine.
    I would consider that as part of the costs of digital photography. It is the same as buying accessories for your camera, just that it costs you an L lens Your current computer setup was almost the same as my previous computer that I had for 4 years. When it became too slow for photo editing, I made the decision to get a new computer. Now everything is running smooth again (for the time being.... )

I believe you can get more tips/suggestions from hardwarezone if you wish to upgrade your computer.