Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Flash question...

Default Flash question...

hi all...
    i have a d5100 n also a speedlight...
    i always use the speedlight in manual mode...

but one question...
    how do i shoot with the flash n not darkening a background even in daytime?

need help with it

d5100+18-55 lens

Default Re: Flash question...

Quote Originally Posted by Dannywfs View Post
    hi all...

but one question...

need help with it

d5100+18-55 lens
    Do you mean you use the Speedlight in Manual mode or do you mean you shoot with the camera in manual mode but speedlight on TTL/Auto mode?

Set a slower shutter speed.

Aperture control flash, shutter speed control ambient.

Anyway in outdoor daylight under the sun its very unlikely you will get dark background, you were probably in the shade.
    WTB Manfrotto RC4 L Bracket

first thing, what flash you are using?
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

Quote Originally Posted by catchlights View Post
    first thing, what flash you are using?
    im using my friends canon 580 for the manual (he's a canon user)

Quote Originally Posted by sjackal View Post
    Do you mean you use the Speedlight in Manual mode or do you mean you shoot with the camera in manual mode but speedlight on TTL/Auto mode?

Set a slower shutter speed.

Aperture control flash, shutter speed control ambient.

Anyway in outdoor daylight under the sun its very unlikely you will get dark background, you were probably in the shade.
    i prefer shooting in manual...

im using my friends canon 580 for the manual (he's a canon user)
    So the flash is likely in manual mode.
    i prefer shooting in manual...
    If you get two options to select, you cannot answer this way. Now we can safely say that the flash is in manual mode. Does your answer indicate manual exposure mode?
    Even if, the statements of sjackal remain valid. There are plenty of youtube video about the basics of flash, try a few of them to understand what is meant.
    EOS

sounds like a case of slow-speed sync not enough...

increase shutter time to catch ambient light.
    宁愿遇见丢失幼崽的母熊,也不愿碰上做蠢事的愚人

Last edited by ed9119; 2nd October 2012 at 02:20 PM.

If you cant do iTTL/eTTL yet... Go back to basic.
    You don't have the choice to prefer manual until you know what you are doing
    www.flickr.com/juzejames
    Nikon D7000.18-55mm.55-200mm VR.50mm f/1.8 D

hi all...

but one question...

need help with it

d5100+18-55 lens
    It all depends, I'll presume it's daytime outdoor. The way I shoot, ISO setting at low, shutter speed not more than your flash sync speed, adjust the aperture accordingly to get the right background exposure. Do some test shots and adjust your flash power accordingly to fill light your subject. Hmmm, but it's quite rarely need flash unless necessary.

Hope this helps.

hi all...

but one question...

need help with it

d5100+18-55 lens
    You need to ensure that your exposure settings (ISO, shutter speed, aperture value) are sufficient for you to properly expose the background.
    Exploring! :)

You sound like my friend. And this is what I told him:

1. Please go read up and understand a little more on exposure/flash......
    2. Ask, best go shoot, with one of your photographer friends. It must be the one who will tell you what he knows and NOT the one who showoff what he thinks he knows. (He believe he is much better than me ... so I am of no help to him....Manual mode is an occasional thing to me)
    3. Go with one of the PAS (or PAvTv) mode for now.
    4. Then, come back to your manual mode - to tweak the shot to your perfection

"I prefer shooting in manual mode", at the current stage, do not do justice to your camera, to your photo and to your subjects, other than a virtual appreciation from a fellow sama-sama manual shooter.

Ride on your thread to ask Q.....

I got a di866mk1 and a di622mk2. The x sync speed of my 40d is 1/250. Firing at 1/250 ttl, The di866 gives black band. Sometime more sometime less. Di622 don't have problem. If I fire 1/250 manual, both no problem. Battery all freshly charged. Is it my di866 gonna up lorry already?

Quote Originally Posted by Mustank View Post
    I got a di866mk1 and a di622mk2. The x sync speed of my 40d is 1/250. Firing at 1/250 ttl, The di866 gives black band. Sometime more sometime less. Di622 don't have problem. If I fire 1/250 manual, both no problem. Battery all freshly charged. Is it my di866 gonna up lorry already?
    What exactly is manual? Exposure mode or Flash gun or both?
    EOS

Ride on your thread to ask Q.....

black band? not all black right? only at the bottom or the top right? so simply bcos of there is a slight delay of the di866 responds to your camera, try 1/200 and slower than the problem should be gone.

Quote Originally Posted by Octarine View Post
    What exactly is manual? Exposure mode or Flash gun or both?
    I am sorry i didnt say clearly........:

camera: manual settings: 1/250, iso 100, F4 to F8 (all got try)
    the problem appears when flash is placed on ttl mode. if f4, the black band (at the bottom) is not very bad but if F8 the problem definetly can see

if i place the flash on manual 1/4 and above, and camera F4, range from no problem to slight black on the bottom....my other di622mk2m, no problem at all.......i suspect my 866 going going gone liao

i read somewhere is clubsnap that if the capacitor got more than 1ohm of resistance, can DIY change capacitor......but i doubt is capacitor problem......

black band? not all black right? only at the bottom or the top right? so simply bcos of there is a slight delay of the di866 responds to your camera, try 1/200 and slower than the problem should be gone.
    black band only at the bottom.....yes, if less than 1/250, no problem also.....i am already mentally prepared that i cant use this 866 as my key or kicker light....can only use as backdrop light.....

black band only at the bottom.....yes, if less than 1/250, no problem also.....i am already mentally prepared that i cant use this 866 as my key or kicker light....can only use as backdrop light.....
    you don't need to use such high shutter speed unless you are shooting at outdoor during day time or at indoor with very bright ambient.

you don't need to use such high shutter speed unless you are shooting at outdoor during day time or at indoor with very bright ambient.
    Agree and outdoors in full sun it might not matter much also as the ambient is often way too stronger than whatever difference that a small flash can make to make a very noticeable difference to the edge of a frame.

I read its not advisable to DIY the capacitor thing, it can deliver a potentially fatal shock.
    WTB Manfrotto RC4 L Bracket

actually i am taking pictures of my 2 boy (6 and 8) playing......they move very very fast, no 1/250 cannot.....they dont stay still for me to shoot....and i dont want them to....they think they are ironman, shiong here, shiong there, jump here jump there, fire here fire there......the younger one has lots of expressions, he really think he is iron man.....i want to capture these expressions and his funny poses....if i ask him to pose, he doesnt want and even if he does so, usually cim one......

to say the truth: because they are running over the place at home and dont stay in one spot, i didnt see any point in setting up any proper lighting . all i did was to get the 2 flash to fire at the ceiling. end up, i get the picture but boring boring lighting......but no choice.......

Quote Originally Posted by sjackal View Post
    Agree and outdoors in full sun it might not matter much also as the ambient is often way too stronger than whatever difference that a small flash can make to make a very noticeable difference to the edge of a frame.

I read its not advisable to DIY the capacitor thing, it can deliver a potentially fatal shock.
    whoa!!! heng you tell me about the danger!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast