Thread: The Peak (Hong Kong)

Default The Peak (Hong Kong)

1. in what area is critique to be sought?
    -Exposure and composition

2. what one hopes to achieve with the piece of work?
    -Improve shooting at night

3. under what circumstance is the picture taken? (physical conditions/emotions)
    -Evening, med - strong winds, public walking around which could affect the ground (prone to shaking)

4. what the critique seeker personally thinks of the picture
    -I think the highlights of some buildings (left, center, right areas) are blown a bit high, the sky is a bit bright as well. It's my first time using UWA at night and overall, it looks acceptable IMHO.

Shot using D90 & Tokina 11016 (version 1)

Default Re: The Peak (Hong Kong)

I think the vantage point was not good to begin with. The trees on the bottom left and the glass rail on the bottom right takes all of the attention away from the the entire photo, so a zoom would have been far more appropriate if you insist on the spot where you stood to take the photo. For any photos of the city from the peak, take a 10 to 15 minute stroll on the trail to the left where you took this photo. You will bypass some apartments along the way, When you reach the point where you will need to walk on platform, turn around and you will notice that the city suddenly opens up with far less blockage. This is where an ultra wide angle lens does best as the city is not just in front but below you as well. I have not tried walking on the trail to the right, so maybe someone else can comment on that direction. If you need to walk on the trail, best advised not to do it alone as it gets rather quiet.

the triangle shape of the city is rather refreshing

For the current location of the photo was taken, to improve the composition just remove the top 1/3 of the photo which do not show much of the details, This will help to bring viewer attention to the city view.
    Canon 5D II, 20-35 f/2.8L, 28-80 f/2.8L, 70-200 f/4L IS, 100-300 f/5.6L, 100 f/2.8 Macro

Quote Originally Posted by SilverPine View Post
    For the current location of the photo was taken, to improve the composition just remove the top 1/3 of the photo which do not show much of the details, This will help to bring viewer attention to the city view.
    Do a post processing to crop off the sky leaving 1/3 sky and 2/3 city to give a 'panoramic' feel. I realized that you are losing highlights on the far end of the city due to slight overexposure. Maybe can you use the recovery slider in LR3 to recover. Use clarity slider to bring out the image also.

Maybe something like this

The idea with this "bound" on buildings is impressive.
    In my opinion, blue hour after sunset might be a good choice to improve the color from sky. Also, some photoshop work on the glass at right-left corner maybe help reduce the distraction. Another point is like what you said, that some light on the tower seemed to be a little over exposure. I am not sure which aperture you've used, but smaller one should help with that.

Personally I feel that the peak had no more good angle to take as the stupid residential building at the foot of the mountain had block all the view. After I found that it is a little over exposed as all the lighting had start to merge.