View Poll Results: What brand of tripod do you use?

Voters
1646. You may not vote on this poll
  • Gitzo

    228 13.85%
  • Manfrotto

    625 37.97%
  • Slik

    433 26.31%
  • Velbon

    76 4.62%
  • Benbo

    71 4.31%
  • Mamiya

    13 0.79%
  • Others, please specify.

    200 12.15%
Page 4 of 29 FirstFirst ... 23456914 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 80 of 564

Thread: What brand of tripod do you use?

  1. #61
    ClubSNAP Admin Darren's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    8,510
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default

    Originally posted by TME
    BTW, why is Darren's name on the photo but your nick says Jason??? Where has Darren gone? I don't see him posting around much leh?
    Somebody called?

    Jason "leeched" the photo from Edmund's review of the Acratech ballhead, but thats okay -> http://www.eoslightbox.com/reviews/R...ATUBG1325.html

    I was the one who took the pic while we were out on one of our photoshoots at the Zoo, and Edmund graciously put my name as copyright owner.

    Wrt to the "Nice bokeh" comment by Wolfgang, just FYI that the shot was taken with the Nikkor 105mm f/2 DC and yes, this lens has really really nice bokeh.

  2. #62
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    6,405

    Default

    Originally posted by TME


    I see. What about those with 3 spirit levels for all 3 directions? Are these on the tripod or on the pan heads?

    BTW, I like your title: UN Chief Moderator!! So non-sequitur!
    Spirit level on the tripod and head is not essential and pointless as it's more important to get the CAMERA level. For that, get a 20-30$ spirit level which fits onto the camera's hotshoe instead. Yes, it lets you get the thing level in all 3 directions.

    Regards
    CK

  3. #63
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Clementi
    Posts
    6,580

    Default

    Originally posted by ckiang


    Spirit level on the tripod and head is not essential and pointless as it's more important to get the CAMERA level. For that, get a 20-30$ spirit level which fits onto the camera's hotshoe instead. Yes, it lets you get the thing level in all 3 directions.

    Regards
    CK
    That's a blardy good idea!!! Where can I get it from?

    And question is how do u adjust those legs properly? It takes quite a bit of adjustment to get the tripod level. I wish they were geared!

  4. #64
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Clementi
    Posts
    6,580

    Default

    Originally posted by Darren
    Somebody called?

    Jason "leeched" the photo from Edmund's review of the Acratech ballhead, but thats okay -> http://www.eoslightbox.com/reviews/R...ATUBG1325.html

    I was the one who took the pic while we were out on one of our photoshoots at the Zoo, and Edmund graciously put my name as copyright owner.

    Wrt to the "Nice bokeh" comment by Wolfgang, just FYI that the shot was taken with the Nikkor 105mm f/2 DC and yes, this lens has really really nice bokeh.
    Bokeh = the OOF look of the background right? AmI right to say that it is a Japanese term?

    So what constitutes nice bokeh? I thought at certain f numbers, the background will be OOF, so then should look at the same right? How can one bokeh be better than another?

  5. #65

    Default

    Does any oone have this head ?? Any reviews in the net !!



    Originally posted by syncmaster
    I do not trust the 3 way solutions , the way of diagonal tilt it looks like a danger move , due the reason that the weight moves away from the center ..

    What i need and i believe the most people does , is one metal head , with panorama ability's and soft motion in all Axis ..
    With good lock ability .

    The ball heads its not my favorites , due the reason that you cannot make micro changes when you are targeting at far distances or in small objects .. Like the moon shots ..

    The Manfrotto MA 141RC basic head looks good ..
    And the Cullman haves another one good head but 3 ways one .

    http://www.manfrotto.com/products/me...ontatore=primo
    Olympus C2100 X3 - E100RS - C220
    IS/L lenses ALL :-D

  6. #66

    Default

    I find them both in my town ...
    Tripod MA-190B and Head 141RC ..
    I will get them tomorrow ..



    Olympus C2100 X3 - E100RS - C220
    IS/L lenses ALL :-D

  7. #67

    Default

    Originally posted by Darren
    Somebody called?

    Jason "leeched" the photo from Edmund's review of the Acratech ballhead, but thats okay -> http://www.eoslightbox.com/reviews/R...ATUBG1325.html.......

  8. #68
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Riddle Realms
    Posts
    5,688

    Default

    Selling off my tripod and looking for another.

    Budget between $80-$120.

    Preferably with a ballhead.

    Anyone?

    Cheers!
    --
    "High Wired, Dream Sired"

  9. #69

    Default

    Just wondering whats the difference between a 3-section Gitzo 1227 and a 4-sections Gitzo 1228 tripod?

  10. #70

    Default

    Got my new Manfrotto head today , and its huge ,but you can feel by the first look and touch , that this is something special and professional , I do not know what heads ,you have stacked on your tripods , but the Manfrotto 141RC is one king who is looking for one throne to seat .

    I just took the head with out the Manfrotto 190B tripod , but i will get it as soon i will get some extra cash , my old tripod it does handle the new head , but the 190B is The Tripod to have ...

    I have only one small complain about the quick release plate , its a little wider that what i was hoping so you can not replace the batteries in the UZI with to remove it completely ,other than that i am very happy .. I got it in one small shop that was have it in stock for only 60 Euros , the latest price of it is 85 Euros .. Nothing can take the smile of my face today hahahahaha :-)
    Olympus C2100 X3 - E100RS - C220
    IS/L lenses ALL :-D

  11. #71

    Default

    Originally posted by Jason Ho
    Just wondering whats the difference between a 3-section Gitzo 1227 and a 4-sections Gitzo 1228 tripod?
    the 3 section is better.


  12. #72
    ClubSNAP Idol Adam Goi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    5,682

    Default

    Originally posted by erwinx


    the 3 section is better.

    To be more specific, if I'm not wrong the advantage of the 3-section tripod is that it'll be more steady as compared to its 4-legged sibling (due to less parts?) but the latter boasts of a shorter profile, i.e. shorter when you retract the legs which makes it easier/more convenient to be carried around...so Jason, which one are you getting?

  13. #73

    Default

    Originally posted by AdamGoi


    To be more specific, if I'm not wrong the advantage of the 3-section tripod is that it'll be more steady as compared to its 4-legged sibling (due to less parts?) but the latter boasts of a short profile, i.e. shorter when you retract the legs which makes it easier/more convenient to be carried around...so Jason, which one are you getting?
    Dunno leh, I want something cheap and good and easy to carry around. :P

  14. #74
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Clementi
    Posts
    6,580

    Default

    Originally posted by syncmaster
    Got my new Manfrotto head today , and its huge ,but you can feel by the first look and touch , that this is something special and professional , I do not know what heads ,you have stacked on your tripods , but the Manfrotto 141RC is one king who is looking for one throne to seat .

    I just took the head with out the Manfrotto 190B tripod , but i will get it as soon i will get some extra cash , my old tripod it does handle the new head , but the 190B is The Tripod to have ...

    I have only one small complain about the quick release plate , its a little wider that what i was hoping so you can not replace the batteries in the UZI with to remove it completely ,other than that i am very happy .. I got it in one small shop that was have it in stock for only 60 Euros , the latest price of it is 85 Euros .. Nothing can take the smile of my face today hahahahaha :-)
    Good for u. I am looking the combo myself. ETA is around beginning of next year. Next month buy car, next next month buy 17-35mm lens, next next month.....let wallet rest a bit. January then can consider the tripod combo.

  15. #75
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    6,405

    Default

    Originally posted by TME


    That's a blardy good idea!!! Where can I get it from?

    And question is how do u adjust those legs properly? It takes quite a bit of adjustment to get the tripod level. I wish they were geared!
    You can get it from most camera shops. Specifically, John 3:16 at Funan has them.

    For the legs, just open all of them to the desired height, then fine tune each one till it's level. Easier if you are using the manfrotto-style locks rather than the gitzo twist locks.

    Regards
    CK

  16. #76
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Clementi
    Posts
    6,580

    Default

    Originally posted by ckiang


    You can get it from most camera shops. Specifically, John 3:16 at Funan has them.

    For the legs, just open all of them to the desired height, then fine tune each one till it's level. Easier if you are using the manfrotto-style locks rather than the gitzo twist locks.

    Regards
    CK
    Why is it easier to adjust using the Manfrotto locks compared to the Gitzo's? I don't see much difference cos u can't do much fine adjustments loh. It would be better if fine adjustments were done by gear but the rough ones done by a release lever that allows sliding. Am I asking for too much?

  17. #77
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    6,405

    Default

    Originally posted by TME


    Why is it easier to adjust using the Manfrotto locks compared to the Gitzo's? I don't see much difference cos u can't do much fine adjustments loh. It would be better if fine adjustments were done by gear but the rough ones done by a release lever that allows sliding. Am I asking for too much?
    You might as well ask for hydraulic legs! The manfrotto ones uses wing nut or the flap-style catches, easier to unlock/lock compared to the Gitzo twist and turn locks.

    Regards
    CK

  18. #78
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Sgp/China/TW
    Posts
    659

    Default

    Originally posted by ckiang


    You might as well ask for hydraulic legs! The manfrotto ones uses wing nut or the flap-style catches, easier to unlock/lock compared to the Gitzo twist and turn locks.

    Regards
    CK
    i agree.......got one gitzo hidden somewhere under my bed.....only my manfrotto is still standing beside my bed.......

  19. #79
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    167

    Default

    Originally posted by ckiang


    Spirit level on the tripod and head is not essential and pointless .....

    Regards
    CK
    A spirit level would be necessary on the tripod head as well as the camera itself, if you are taking 360 panoramic shots by panning the tripod head.

  20. #80

    Default

    Originally posted by Daniel

    A spirit level would be necessary on the tripod head as well as the camera itself, if you are taking 360 panoramic shots by panning the tripod head.
    I will agree on that , my 141RC head does not have any , but i can get 2 and glue them on it , they are very cheap and easy to get .
    Olympus C2100 X3 - E100RS - C220
    IS/L lenses ALL :-D

Page 4 of 29 FirstFirst ... 23456914 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •