View Poll Results: What brand of tripod do you use?

Voters
1646. You may not vote on this poll
  • Gitzo

228 13.85%
  • Manfrotto

625 37.97%
  • Slik

433 26.31%
  • Velbon

76 4.62%
  • Benbo

71 4.31%
  • Mamiya

13 0.79%
  • Others, please specify.

200 12.15%
Page 13 of 29 FirstFirst ... 3811121314151823 ... LastLast

Thread: What brand of tripod do you use?

Originally posted by mervlam
    second hand at $150

i will use slow sync then.

P.S. when u coming to NIE?
    Wah sai! So cheap ar! I also want! Heard the combo costs around $300 brand new. Still thinking about getting a Dynax 7 first. Hmm......

Do I know u? I've been already at NIE for 6 months. Paiseh ar? But I very blur one.

Originally posted by TME

Wah sai! So cheap ar! I also want! Heard the combo costs around $300 brand new. Still thinking about getting a Dynax 7 first. Hmm......

Do I know u? I've been already at NIE for 6 months. Paiseh ar? But I very blur one.
    The combo should cost around $220 new.

u dont update our profile?

Biography: NSF waiting to ORD and then going to NIE

P.S. What course u taking? (OTOT.....)

Originally posted by TME

But flash tends to speed up the shutter a little too much sometimes. This will cause the background to become grainy. So I try to place my subject in the shade so that got as little shadow as possible and then spot meter loh. Contrast is less.
    Huh? Flash should have nothing to do with the shutter speed! And flash will not cause the background to go grainy.

Regards
    CK

Originally posted by ckiang

Huh? Flash should have nothing to do with the shutter speed! And flash will not cause the background to go grainy.

Regards
    CK
    i guess that he's trying to say that the background will be less detailed if he uses flash with the camera set in program or auto mode.

If you got more budget, get a good one. If not save to get a good one or not just using handheld ONE. For me, I save and got the Gitzo G1127 MK II ONE.

Cheers.

i just got my Manfrotto 190ProB + 141RC. Steady like a rock....
    hehe u will rephrase if u had the 055...
    "I'm... dreaming... of a wide... angle~
    Just like the ones I used to know~"

Originally posted by denizenx

hehe u will rephrase if u had the 055...
    i'm too short for 055 and head.... anyway 055 is mountain!

i'm too short for 055 and head.... anyway 055 is mountain!
    haha wait till u see the 075?
    "I'm... dreaming... of a wide... angle~
    Just like the ones I used to know~"

i guess that he's trying to say that the background will be less detailed if he uses flash with the camera set in program or auto mode.
    Err..yes that is what I mean. U seem to lose detail in the background when the flash comes on. Not sure the technical term for that but that is my experience.

Originally posted by Daniel

Depends on the head...

If you use a ball head, it's almost impossible to pan the camera and ensure that it is always moving along a plane. So you would want to pan the tripod head instead.

If you use a 3 way head, you can chose to pan either, no difference here.

But either way, you would need a spirit level on both the head and camera to be really sure that your setup is horizontal i.e. if you are really particular abt getting good panoramas.
    To pan with ballhead, simply losen the quick release plate partially but still retain the tension, lock it onto he head, once adjust and tighten the ball, you could pan as u like on the partially losen plate wth the camera always on the same plane, unless your quick release plate is not flat.

Originally posted by boochap

To pan with ballhead, simply losen the quick release plate partially but still retain the tension, lock it onto he head, once adjust and tighten the ball, you could pan as u like on the partially losen plate wth the camera always on the same plane, unless your quick release plate is not flat.
    A bit troublesome IMO.

There are ballheads with separate pan locks which will allow good and level panning.

Originally posted by boochap

Ball Heads without Pan function are typically smaller, cheaper and lighter than those with Pan Locks. My 308 RC does not have a separate Pan Function. I just loosen the tripod center column and use it for Pan adjustment.

Originally posted by jasonpgc

Ball Heads without Pan function are typically smaller, cheaper and lighter than those with Pan Locks. My 308 RC does not have a separate Pan Function. I just loosen the tripod center column and use it for Pan adjustment.
    That's a pretty good idea only that u don't get degree markings and it won't be so accurate.

I'm using cheapo Sakure tripod and monopod.

The tripod's a little bit short for my liking.

anyone has heard of Giottos tripods?

Originally posted by Linkster
    anyone has heard of Giottos tripods?
    I have! Why? Don't need to be paiseh. It's a cheap travel tripod. At least still got hotshoe! Not very good for large SLRs with large lens. But it is suitable for most casual photographers. I use it once in a while. So I don't see a need yet to buy a very good tripod that costs $200-300. Mine came with my Dynax 505si free but I've upgraded to a Dynax 7 recently, so I don't know if it fits.

Originally posted by TME

I have! Why? Don't need to be paiseh. It's a cheap travel tripod. At least still got hotshoe! Not very good for large SLRs with large lens. But it is suitable for most casual photographers. I use it once in a while. So I don't see a need yet to buy a very good tripod that costs $200-300. Mine came with my Dynax 505si free but I've upgraded to a Dynax 7 recently, so I don't know if it fits.
    by hotshoe u meant the quick release catch rite?

the problem with my Giottos tripod is that i cannot tilt my camera to take vertical shots..

by hotshoe u meant the quick release catch rite?

the problem with my Giottos tripod is that i cannot tilt my camera to take vertical shots..
    Same here. The clamp will not hold a small sized SLR in the vertical position. Guess we need the more expensive ball heads or 30ways to do the job.

3-way u mean..

3-way u mean..
    Yes yes!! 3-way......that was a typo!!! Paiseh...30-way.....hahaha.by the time finish tuning, the sun set liaoz.....

Page 13 of 29 FirstFirst ... 3811121314151823 ... LastLast