View Poll Results: What brand of tripod do you use?

Voters
1646. You may not vote on this poll
  • Gitzo

228 13.85%
  • Manfrotto

625 37.97%
  • Slik

433 26.31%
  • Velbon

76 4.62%
  • Benbo

71 4.31%
  • Mamiya

13 0.79%
  • Others, please specify.

200 12.15%
Page 12 of 29 FirstFirst ... 2710111213141722 ... LastLast

Thread: What brand of tripod do you use?

Originally posted by TME

Woohoo!! 800 film how much huh?! Hehehe...never dare to ask before though I see it a lot of times at Peninsular. This Press 800, what brand and how much and where I can get? Thanks!
    Press 800 is by Fujifilm. It costs $6.30 at Cathay Photo. There's also the cheaper Superia XTRA 800, which I don't know the cost and don't know how it performs. Press 800 is now my film of choice for indoor events.

Regards
    CK

Originally posted by ckiang

Press 800 is by Fujifilm. It costs $6.30 at Cathay Photo. There's also the cheaper Superia XTRA 800, which I don't know the cost and don't know how it performs. Press 800 is now my film of choice for indoor events.

Regards
    CK
    $6.30 is ok for 800 film. Cathay have or not? Must go and find when my current stock runs out.....

Originally posted by TME

$6.30 is ok for 800 film. Cathay have or not? Must go and find when my current stock runs out.....
    Eh? I thought I just said $6.30 @ Cathay Photo?

Regards
    CK

The last time i got XTRA 800 was quite some time ago. think i got them for around $5.50-$6.00 per roll at Ruby. but then i got 20 rolls one shot. i always thot that Ruby offers the best px... maybe i juz didnt bother to find out more from the other shops... haha

Xtra 800 is $5.80/roll at Colour Lab.

Is the Press 800 visibly superior? Didn't know it was just $6.30...else would have gotten it instead.:P

Eh? I thought I just said $6.30 @ Cathay Photo?

Regards
    CK
    Paiseh! A bit **** eye! Will go get some rolls the next time I need it.

Does Press 800 get too grainy for overcast outdoor shoots? Shot a coupla weddings recently. Most shots turned out very well, except one or two which were a tad grainy.. then i realised that they were taken outdoors on an overcast day..

Press 800 is now my film of choice for indoor events.

Regards
    CK

Originally posted by rochkoh
    Does Press 800 get too grainy for overcast outdoor shoots? Shot a coupla weddings recently. Most shots turned out very well, except one or two which were a tad grainy.. then i realised that they were taken outdoors on an overcast day..

if your outdoor shots comprise of a lot of sky, remeber to compensate exposure, or else you may underexpose your shots.

Originally posted by mervlam

if your outdoor shots comprise of a lot of sky, remeber to compensate exposure, or else you may underexpose your shots.
    Yupe, yupe! That one really teruk! Lots of sky plus a human face with lots of shadow very difficult to find good balance! I use to get lots of underexposed shots cos the camera got fooled by the bright bright sky! Now I just use flash and shoot even when the camera's meter screams "Overexpose!" We humans are smarter.

Or u can choose to spot meter the face if the subject is not in the shadow. Spot meter the darkest part of the face. Try the eyes.

Or exposure compensate. I on't do this except some times when the difference between sky and foreground is too extreme. Usually on very bright days I overexpose 3 stops. Background a bit washed out by overexposure but "bo pian" leh!

I like the flash option best. Cos if u get the angle right, the eyes got some sparkle, especially if the subject is under shade but background is bright!

I think that's where a gradual density filter comes in useful when the exposure difference between the sky and the ground is too large.....
    Check out my wildlife pics at www.instagram.com/conrad_nature

Originally posted by mpenza
    I think that's where a gradual density filter comes in useful when the exposure difference between the sky and the ground is too large.....
    But a bit mah fan mah! Always screw on and off filter. I hate to do it with my circ pol. also but no choice if u want nice blue skies and non reflective seas..... but can tell us how and when to use a graduated density filter, I mean in what kind of specific conditions and what to expect - how many stops lost, what pitfalls to avoid, etc?! Thanks!

I was reading abt it in National Geographic field guide.... but forgot liao.

i just got my Manfrotto 190ProB + 141RC. Steady like a rock....

Originally posted by rochkoh
    Might be due to underexposure where the camera is tricked by the white overcast sky.

Originally posted by mpenza

Might be due to underexposure where the camera is tricked by the white overcast sky.
    actually, it is

actually, it is
    Like I say loh, I usually sacrifice the details in the background, stop down to around f/6.7 or 8 and then spot meter the eyes or under the nose area and then shoot loh! Sometimes use fill flash. Usually turns out ok. I dislike exposure compensation, a little too uncertain. And I don't have the luxury of bracketing since film is expensive (or rather developing them is)...

fill flash is the best solution

i just got my Manfrotto 190ProB + 141RC. Steady like a rock....
    Hiow much u pay?!

fill flash is the best solution
    But flash tends to speed up the shutter a little too much sometimes. This will cause the background to become grainy. So I try to place my subject in the shade so that got as little shadow as possible and then spot meter loh. Contrast is less.

second hand at $150

i will use slow sync then.

P.S. when u coming to NIE?

Page 12 of 29 FirstFirst ... 2710111213141722 ... LastLast