Results 1 to 16 of 16

Thread: Nikon D5000 to Canon EOS 650D. Worthy upgrade?

  1. #1

    Default Nikon D5000 to Canon EOS 650D. Worthy upgrade?

    Hi! All. I'm thinking of changing my nikon d5000 to canon eos650D. Is this a worthwhile change? Factors that prompt me to change are:
    1) picture quality (is it better than D5000?)
    2) touch screen
    3) better variable LCD
    4) higher ISO
    5) higher fps

    Hope the pros here can offer advice.

  2. #2

    Default Re: Nikon D5000 to Canon EOS 650D. Worthy upgrade?


  3. #3
    Moderator Octarine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Pasir Ris
    Posts
    12,393

    Default Re: Nikon D5000 to Canon EOS 650D. Worthy upgrade?

    Quote Originally Posted by wxwayne View Post
    Snapsort is a bad joke... pointing out 'large sensor' for Nikon when Canon has the same size. What jokers are this?
    EOS

  4. #4
    Moderator Octarine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Pasir Ris
    Posts
    12,393

    Default Re: Nikon D5000 to Canon EOS 650D. Worthy upgrade?

    Quote Originally Posted by wolvie77 View Post
    Hi! All. I'm thinking of changing my nikon d5000 to canon eos650D. Is this a worthwhile change? Factors that prompt me to change are:
    1) picture quality (is it better than D5000?)
    2) touch screen
    3) better variable LCD
    4) higher ISO
    5) higher fps
    Hope the pros here can offer advice.
    Simple: do you really need any of these factors you listed here? Or is it just itchy pocket and the feeling (or hope) that a supposedly better camera will give you better pictures? Which of the functions of the 650D did you miss recently?
    #1 Don't mistake resolution for image quality. You wouldn't be able to tell which is which when seeing the images.
    #2 What's wrong with buttons? It's a fashion trend.
    #3 How many times do you really need it?
    #4 The maximum ISO is higher, true. How many times do you need it?
    #5 Do you really need it?
    Keep in mind: you will change also the camera system, which means: different menu, different buttons, different terms ... Have you checked about any Nikon camera that is comparable?
    EOS

  5. #5
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Somewhere
    Posts
    3,443

    Default Re: Nikon D5000 to Canon EOS 650D. Worthy upgrade?

    Quote Originally Posted by wolvie77 View Post
    Hi! All. I'm thinking of changing my nikon d5000 to canon eos650D. Is this a worthwhile change? Factors that prompt me to change are:
    1) picture quality (is it better than D5000?)
    2) touch screen
    3) better variable LCD
    4) higher ISO
    5) higher fps

    Hope the pros here can offer advice.
    1) Shouldn't have any difference in picture quality.... It's usually the lens that will affect this parameter.
    2) How often do you think you will use this feature? I feel that hardware buttons and navigation is way more responsive than touch ones. And also, touch screen = juice drainer
    3) LCD - ya....maybe this is a reason... but again, how often do you find it useful? I do find it tempting for me (as a Canon user), but many times, I find that I don't need it.
    4 & 5) D7000 also have higher ISO and fps... And I think people are "dumping" D700 and D7000 for D600, you may be able to get some good deals for D7000.

    Quote Originally Posted by wxwayne View Post
    It's one of the most crappy website I've came across for comparisons. This websites contains quite an amount of false information. For Reviews, I would rather turn to DPreview or some other more reputable websites.


    Quote Originally Posted by Octarine View Post
    Snapsort is a bad joke... pointing out 'large sensor' for Nikon when Canon has the same size. What jokers are this?
    I didn't read up on the actual dimensions.. But I always thought Nikon have a wee wee bit larger sensor than Canon (cos of the 1.5 vs 1.6).
    Too many great equipments but too little quality photos. [My Flickr] | [My Blog]

  6. #6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by wolvie77
    Hi! All. I'm thinking of changing my nikon d5000 to canon eos650D. Is this a worthwhile change? Factors that prompt me to change are:
    1) picture quality (is it better than D5000?)
    2) touch screen
    3) better variable LCD
    4) higher ISO
    5) higher fps

    Hope the pros here can offer advice.
    650D is definitely better, because its so much newer. But to me, if your D5000 is working fine, its not worth an upgrade. Image quality should be about the same. Maybe the Nikon has better dynamic range at lower ISO. If u really need touch screen, then I got nothing to say.
    hi

  7. #7

    Default Re: Nikon D5000 to Canon EOS 650D. Worthy upgrade?

    My few cents:

    1) picture quality (is it better than D5000?)
    >> Not big enough to be worth the money

    2) touch screen
    >> Whats the point? Because of the DSLR form factor and handling, you are using the viewfinder anyway, so to touch the screen, you need to remove your eye from the viewfinder to access the touch screen. What the advantage? - think it over.

    3) better variable LCD
    >> Does it help your photography? Generally no unless you like to do a lot of odd angles (and I do mean a lot to make it worthwhile)

    4) higher ISO
    >> Not really that significant. 650D is the same sensor since 550D. Shoot in RAW and a good NR program will close the gap.

    5) higher fps
    >> Not a big deal. How much would you need? 30fps?

    Bottom line, not worth the money over the small differences. You are not moving up with such a purchase.
    Look to a D7K if you need an upgrade for Nikon.

  8. #8

    Default Re: Nikon D5000 to Canon EOS 650D. Worthy upgrade?

    Quote Originally Posted by wxwayne View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Octarine View Post
    Snapsort is a bad joke... pointing out 'large sensor' for Nikon when Canon has the same size. What jokers are this?
    +1
    Why oh why!
    So many ppl like to quote SnapSort.
    So much so that it has generated enough web hits to their site and search engines start to display it as one of the top sites for relevance.
    Its just a crappy brochure comparator that shows nothing of actual camera performance.

  9. #9
    Moderator Octarine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Pasir Ris
    Posts
    12,393

    Default Re: Nikon D5000 to Canon EOS 650D. Worthy upgrade?

    Quote Originally Posted by SkyStrike View Post
    I didn't read up on the actual dimensions.. But I always thought Nikon have a wee wee bit larger sensor than Canon (cos of the 1.5 vs 1.6).
    Yes, you are right. But this difference is irrelevant in real life.
    EOS

  10. #10

    Default Re: Nikon D5000 to Canon EOS 650D. Worthy upgrade?

    1) picture quality (is it better than D5000?)
    - Not really. Canon is known for clipping highlights easily and the Nikon has better dynamic range.

    2) touch screen
    - Meh. When you consider the only real use of this is for autofocus in live view/video where the Canons are lousy anyway... Not worth it.

    3) better variable LCD
    - Can be helpful true.

    4) higher ISO
    - But it's not really better - Canon mushes up the details a lot to make the files "look" cleaner.

    5) higher fps
    - Barely


    Honestly, you won't feel much of a difference. Jump ship to a sony A57 instead and you'll notice a huge difference.
    Alpha

  11. #11
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Somewhere
    Posts
    3,443

    Default Re: Nikon D5000 to Canon EOS 650D. Worthy upgrade?

    Quote Originally Posted by Octarine View Post
    Yes, you are right. But this difference is irrelevant in real life.
    ya..the only "big" difference will be moving up from APS-C to FF (and/or larger formats).
    Too many great equipments but too little quality photos. [My Flickr] | [My Blog]

  12. #12

    Default Re: Nikon D5000 to Canon EOS 650D. Worthy upgrade?

    Quote Originally Posted by SkyStrike View Post
    ya..the only "big" difference will be moving up from APS-C to FF (and/or larger formats).
    Not really, he can switch to an APS-C camera with more features, etc etc. It will still feel like a massive step up from his current D5000.
    Alpha

  13. #13

    Default Re: Nikon D5000 to Canon EOS 650D. Worthy upgrade?

    Saw some of the D5100 promos around the island. Looks like a D5200 is coming.

    In my opinion, the only real difference between the D5000 and 650D is that can only use AFS lens with the D5000 while the 650D can use any EOS lens whether for full frame or for crop sensor.

    As long your investment into the system is not too heavy, feel free to jump ship anytime.

    The touchscreen is pretty neat to have if you like to experiment with portraits,



    Taken very easily with the 650D flip screen + touch screen select AF point.
    Last edited by Reportage; 23rd September 2012 at 01:43 PM.
    You wont see me much less remember me but i am the guy who makes you look good.

  14. #14

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Reportage
    Saw some of the D5100 promos around the island. Looks like a D5200 is coming.

    In my opinion, the only real difference between the D5000 and 650D is that can only use AFS lens with the D5000 while the 650D can use any EOS lens whether for full frame or for crop sensor.

    As long your investment into the system is not too heavy, feel free to jump ship anytime.

    The touchscreen is pretty neat to have if you like to experiment with portraits,

    Taken very easily with the 650D flip screen + touch screen select AF point.
    Correction.... you can use any F-mount lens on the D5000 but you may not get af. ;-)

    I still prefer fast PDAF over the slow CDAF on the Canons. ;-)
    Alpha

  15. #15
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Somewhere
    Posts
    3,443

    Default Re: Nikon D5000 to Canon EOS 650D. Worthy upgrade?

    Quote Originally Posted by Rashkae View Post
    Correction.... you can use any F-mount lens on the D5000 but you may not get af. ;-)

    I still prefer fast PDAF over the slow CDAF on the Canons. ;-)
    I thought 650D using hybrid Contrast and Phase detection? Correct me If I'm mistaken... *Thou I do agree it's damn slow for the 650D live view focusing*
    Too many great equipments but too little quality photos. [My Flickr] | [My Blog]

  16. #16

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SkyStrike

    I thought 650D using hybrid Contrast and Phase detection? Correct me If I'm mistaken... *Thou I do agree it's damn slow for the 650D live view focusing*
    They put some pdaf on the sensor, but it only works with a few lenses and is still incredibly slow as the reviews and tests show. It's far from a proper pdaf system.
    Alpha

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •