Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Every LEICA X2 Tells a Story!

Default Re: Every LEICA X2 Tells a Story!

Am really thinking of having the X2. Currently using Nikon DSLR camera and alot a compact Leica Dux-5.
    The X2 can be a good for bringing it around overseas comparing to my DSLR + lens

Emblef, the X2 didn't disappoint me at all, and if you're OK with the slow start-up and shut-down times, try it out at a store to see if you're comfortable with it. Do take note that the Elmarit 24mm f/2.8 ASPH Lens is fixed, and focuses down to 30cm. A little more on the capabilities of the Elmarit 24mm lens and some hi-ISO shots follows.

I mentioned earlier that I pushed the little Elmarit 24mm f/2.8 ASPH lens past what a casual user might do, and in order to test it out, I mounted the camera and shot around the Marina Bay Area to test the X2's lens and also took some hi-ISO shots. Also did night shots hand-held with the built-in stabaliser to great effect!

Let the photos do the talking ...

HAND-HELD SHOTS HI-ISO

Last edited by Dream Merchant; 29th September 2012 at 05:18 PM.

HAND-HELD SHOTS HI-ISO

There are only two shots here. One is taken at ISO 100, and the other is taken at ISO 3200. The last exposure is the one taken at ISO 3200, with some post noise removal applied. Which is which?

Last edited by Dream Merchant; 29th September 2012 at 04:31 PM.

I only did ISO tests on this subject from ISO 1600 - 6400. Please note that there is no Hi-ISO noise reduction in the X2, or at least no user-controlled Hi-ISO noise reduction. IIRC, there is a Long-Exposure noise reduction, just like the S2 via dark-frame means.

Last edited by Dream Merchant; 29th September 2012 at 05:38 PM.

ISO 12,500

As you can see, ISO 12,500 is quite grainy, even though details seem to hold up very well at this level.
    Let's apply some post noise reduction to see if we can tame the noise a little.

This was with a 30% noise reduction

60% Noise reduction

80% Noise Reduction

Personally, I would (if needed) apply a 40% - 50% noise reduction in post, unless I'm shooting lots of dark areas with tungsten lights or halogens (Chinatown / Little India / Pasar Malams etc). Even at 60% noise reduction, I must say that the X2 holds a surprising amount of general detail, even if very fine details like the MRT map just behind the girl is mushy. However, the one on top is still legible - even with something as mind-blowing as 80% noise reduction!

In Black and White conversions (in camera - high contrast B&W), this is where I totally love the noise levels of ISO 12,500!!! It really reminds me when HP5 is pushed to 1600, or Tri-X is pushed to 800!!!

Anyway, just an observation: when I tone it, the grain seems to be more apparent, but the original 12,5000 output from the camera is very tolerable! I've also applied some noise reduction in post to show what can be done for those who do not like grain so much.

Toned Image with grain more apparent

Out-of-camera Image

Toned Image with noise reduction

Out-of-camera Image with noise reduction

That pretty much concludes the shots done at night and Hi-ISO tests to show you the gem of the Elmarit 24mm f/2.8 ASPH lens and the Hi-ISO capabilities of the X2, which I personally feel is really nice! There's so much I could do at 12,5000!

Quote Originally Posted by bonrya View Post
    Any more pics and people will really go buy one to try to get these images.

Pls remind them that it's really not the camera!

Thanks bonrya!

Here's one just for you. Taken with the X2!

Quote Originally Posted by Dream Merchant

Thanks bonrya!

Here's one just for you. Taken with the X2!
    Mmm!!! thanks!!!
    My Flickr
    ~Neko baka

To wrap up this review, I thought it would really nice, since the LEICA X2 resembles a 'retro' designed camera, to feature some photos of real and authentic retro objects from the past!

Thanks to the Chinese/Thai Diner, Kombi Rocks Diner Rides — Kombi Rocks which allowed me to shoot there. It's home to the Volkswagen Kombis, vintage vehicles, the Beetles and just about everything vintage. Their food is really nice (sampled and definitely 'approved'!), with some dishes like the Seafood Hor Fun, Beef Hor Fun and Fish Hor Fun featuring authentic 'Wok-Hei' flavours reminiscent of restaurant and hawker food cooked here in the 60s and 70s!

Also, thanks to a very special individual who opened up his HDB 'Musuem' apartment which houses not only authentic vintage memorabilia, but also features a full-fledged 1970s/1980s DISCO spinning area and Laser lighting system just like what you see at Marina Bay Sands!

The first three shots were taken with normal colours and rendition, and the later shots, converted to Black & White or with post applied to make the photos look 'vintage'.

Last edited by Dream Merchant; 4th October 2012 at 12:22 AM.

Now, the vintage looking shots.

Thanks once again to the Owner of Kombi Rocks!

As mentioned earlier, thanks to a great individual who allowed me to shoot at his HDB 'Musuem', and get boggled-eye with the Lasers!

An actual FULL-SET of a fully working Gramophone with a library of bakelite records!

And the 'piece de resistance'!

Thanks for viewing this thread and Special Thanks to LEICA Camera Asia Pacific!
    Last edited by Dream Merchant; 4th October 2012 at 12:23 AM.

Blog Entries

You Jussssst have to put up food images just before midnight near bedtime .....
    shaddap and just shoot .... up close
    Walkeast

LOL Ed!

Thought it was safe sine it's past the 11pm zone!

no new posts on this thread?
    flickr | Panasonic Lumix GF2 | Canon EOS 450D, 30D | Sony TX5

Quote Originally Posted by melvinchia
    TS needs more requests to post.

+1 please!
    My Flickr
    ~Neko baka

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by melvinchia View Post
    unfortunately, the camera has been returned to Leica Singapore a few weeks ago already ..... but others can share and add their ACTUAL user experiences to this thread
    shaddap and just shoot .... up close
    Walkeast

i just ordered my X2 from Max Photo, arriving tomorrow.. was hoping to find X2 owners to chat with. "Moving" from a Canon DSLR and Pananasonic M43 system experience to Leica. I didn't dare to jump straight into the manual focus M-series.. =D
    flickr | Panasonic Lumix GF2 | Canon EOS 450D, 30D | Sony TX5

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast