Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 21 to 37 of 37

Thread: Some recommendations needed for tripod purchase :)

  1. #21

    Default Re: Some recommendations needed for tripod purchase :)

    Quote Originally Posted by TWmilkteaTW View Post
    Smaller and lighter probably cant go in a shoulder bag too right? Personally hate the idea of lugging 1 (which explains why till now i hvnt got 1) when I'm traveling as ill be out whole day and in between i may run around afew places. From landscape to streets, market, mall etc.

    Am thinking of getting a gorilla tripod. Got to make do with limitation i guess. Does those gorilla pod be able to hold a DSLR + lens. eg 2.5kg in total?
    Depends on the model of the sling bag actually. Some sling bags allow you to strap a small to mid size tripod to the bottom. Manfrotto bags even have a compartment for tripods. The bigger gorillapods are rated to take more than that weight and from what I have seen, they seem to be able to support the weight pretty well too. The only limitation is that you might not be able to find a place for the gorillapod to grab on to.

  2. #22
    Moderator daredevil123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    lil red dot
    Posts
    21,627
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Some recommendations needed for tripod purchase :)

    Quote Originally Posted by Bryanqwh View Post
    Hey!

    Thanks for the enlightenment I will definitely go to a shop and try out the combination!

    I'm only aware of T K Foto holding on to Sirui.. Any other shops with a price to beat?
    TK foto is as cheap as it gets for sirui equipment.

  3. #23

    Default

    I can carry my Crumpler 7 Million Dollar Home on one shoulder and my Slik Pro 400DX on the other. No problems.
    KF Photography
    Thanks for viewing!

  4. #24
    Moderator ed9119's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    10,940
    Blog Entries
    26

    Default Re: Some recommendations needed for tripod purchase :)

    i am maybe old-fashioned but i prefer a HEAVY tripod for the all-round stability especially when its windy
    shaddap and just shoot .... up close
    Walkeast

  5. #25

    Default Re: Some recommendations needed for tripod purchase :)

    Quote Originally Posted by spree86 View Post
    Depends on the model of the sling bag actually. Some sling bags allow you to strap a small to mid size tripod to the bottom. Manfrotto bags even have a compartment for tripods. The bigger gorillapods are rated to take more than that weight and from what I have seen, they seem to be able to support the weight pretty well too. The only limitation is that you might not be able to find a place for the gorillapod to grab on to.
    No choice. Got to make do with limitation. (If it can take the weight i suggested..i guess that should do for me). Since i dont want to lug a "proper" tripod around. As i usually don't stay in the "landscape" area for long anyway. And i always need to carry other stuffs too.

  6. #26
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    20

    Default Re: Some recommendations needed for tripod purchase :)

    Quote Originally Posted by JasonB View Post
    Best advice. Buy the best you can afford.

    The filmsy tripods, like those free ones you get when you buy your first beginner SLR, the joints are made of plastic, soft plastic, break easy.

    Your equipment grows more and more expensive really soon so its important to ensure you have ample support system for the expensive equipment. No point risking $8000 worth of equipment on-top of a cheap $80 tripod that topples, frustrating to use, and hard to adjust for precision.

    The reliable brands are Gitzo and Manfrotto (same company actually). Sirui is China but its seems to be very good so far.
    Yup!

    I want to get a tripod that is stable enough and doesn't creep or move when in portrait.

    The current one I have (free gift) has jelly legs and a weak 3 way pan head!! Had enough of it :/

  7. #27
    Moderator ed9119's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    10,940
    Blog Entries
    26

    Default Re: Some recommendations needed for tripod purchase :)

    Pan and Tilt head is more inconvenient (and sometimes dangerous) to operate but it normally grips alot stronger than a regular ballhead
    shaddap and just shoot .... up close
    Walkeast

  8. #28
    Senior Member digitalpimp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Shèng Gǎng
    Posts
    2,744

    Default

    Manfrotto 190XProB + Manfrotto 322RC2. I can hardly find fault with this set-up. So far, this is the only equipment I have that never fell onto the BnS section.

  9. #29
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    10

    Default Re: Some recommendations needed for tripod purchase :)

    Sorry to tag onto this thread but I think my simple question doesnt warrant a new thread.

    I noticed someone mentioned using a beanbag and I think that's a brilliant idea. Any place to recommend where I can get a small one? Using an OMD btw. So a small one will do.

  10. #30

    Default Re: Some recommendations needed for tripod purchase :)

    Quote Originally Posted by DrSCooper View Post
    Sorry to tag onto this thread but I think my simple question doesnt warrant a new thread.

    I noticed someone mentioned using a beanbag and I think that's a brilliant idea. Any place to recommend where I can get a small one? Using an OMD btw. So a small one will do.
    You can always make your own, its cheaper too

  11. #31

    Default Re: Some recommendations needed for tripod purchase :)

    Quote Originally Posted by DrSCooper View Post
    Sorry to tag onto this thread but I think my simple question doesnt warrant a new thread.

    I noticed someone mentioned using a beanbag and I think that's a brilliant idea. Any place to recommend where I can get a small one? Using an OMD btw. So a small one will do.
    yea..make 1 yourself
    I had 1.. (but duh..its only useful if you had something to support the beanbag first...unlike a regular tripod.)

  12. #32
    Moderator ed9119's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    10,940
    Blog Entries
    26

    Default Re: Some recommendations needed for tripod purchase :)

    beanbag can DIY yourself .... just choose something light to fill it with .... dont use beans ... it might sprout once it gets wet in the rain

    saw a few very innovative ideas

    1. a silicone mouse wrist pad
    2. bean bag filled with styrofoam beads
    3. a $1.50 small bag of rice
    4. a 50cent packet of salt
    5. socks stuffed with I-dunno-what

    sorry , straying OT from original topic
    shaddap and just shoot .... up close
    Walkeast

  13. #33
    Moderator nitewalk's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    4,632
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ed9119
    beanbag can DIY yourself .... just choose something light to fill it with .... dont use beans ... it might sprout once it gets wet in the rain

    saw a few very innovative ideas

    1. a silicone mouse wrist pad
    2. bean bag filled with styrofoam beads
    3. a $1.50 small bag of rice
    4. a 50cent packet of salt
    5. socks stuffed with I-dunno-what

    sorry , straying OT from original topic
    Or when you go shoot rocks and get splashed by waters.

  14. #34

    Default Re: Some recommendations needed for tripod purchase :)

    DIY bean bag:

    1. Old socks with weird smell

    2. Gravel from neighbors Lohan fishtank

    3. Put 2 into 1 and tie a knot.

    4. Put the bad into microwave and low heat for 15 minutes.

    5. Bean bag is ready for usage.

  15. #35
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    20

    Default Re: Some recommendations needed for tripod purchase :)

    Hey all

    Thanks! I bought the tripod set as recommended, Sirui T1204X + K10X.

    I must say, it is sturdy and light And also easy to dissemble for washing!

  16. #36

    Default Re: Some recommendations needed for tripod purchase :)

    Quote Originally Posted by Bryanqwh View Post
    Hey all

    Thanks! I bought the tripod set as recommended, Sirui T1204X + K10X.

    I must say, it is sturdy and light And also easy to dissemble for washing!
    How much damage it costs?

  17. #37
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    317

    Default Re: Some recommendations needed for tripod purchase :)

    Yes how much did it cost you?

    I'm probably going to get a T1204X from TK also but undecided the ballhead to get.

    Will anything apart from a G10 be overkill for my OM-D? The biggest lens I'm gonna use is just the 45-200mm together with HLD-6 both grips.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •