Thread: Mac software to compare folders

Default Mac software to compare folders

Hi,

Am hoping someone can recommend a software for the Mac.

What I want it to do:

Compare folders and make sure both folders are in sync.

How I do it: I usually work on my photos on the laptops hdd when overseas. I copy/move it to a backup portable hdd before I get home. At times I work on the photos when I have time, hence the copies on the laptop hdd will differ from the backup portable hdd. I wish sync both the folder on my laptop and the portable hdd. I do not like backup software because they usually change the format and I cant look at the files as I normally do unless I use proprietary software.

Once I get home, I make yet another copy from the backup portable hdd to an NAS.

Any help please?

Of cos am open to having a better workflow

Thanks!

Default Re: Mac software to compare folders

Search for file synchronization software. They don't change any file types, it's a plain copying of files according criteria. You can easily use this also to create backups on externals disks. Not using Mac, my sync software only runs on PC.
    EOS

Use Lightroom catalog.... much better workflow...

Quote Originally Posted by rainfyre View Post
    Hi,

Am hoping someone can recommend a software for the Mac.

What I want it to do:

Compare folders and make sure both folders are in sync.

How I do it: I usually work on my photos on the laptops hdd when overseas. I copy/move it to a backup portable hdd before I get home. At times I work on the photos when I have time, hence the copies on the laptop hdd will differ from the backup portable hdd. I wish sync both the folder on my laptop and the portable hdd. I do not like backup software because they usually change the format and I cant look at the files as I normally do unless I use proprietary software.

Once I get home, I make yet another copy from the backup portable hdd to an NAS.

Any help please?

Of cos am open to having a better workflow

Thanks!

thanks for the replies.

Dan could you elaborate more on the lightroom catalogue workflow? I use lightroom catalogues. however can it do subsequent incremental backups to another drive after the first one?

thanks!

Quite easy if you are using Lightroom...

Create a separate catalog when you are overseas, you edit whatever is needed. When you back... export to catalog to your ext hard disk and import to your main computer LR catalog... once it merge together... the main catalog will have the same setting as your overseas edited version. Save time to redo again.

For the backup, there's many backup program you can use. either backup your picture folder or the whole system.

Quote Originally Posted by rainfyre View Post
    thanks for the replies.

Dan could you elaborate more on the lightroom catalogue workflow? I use lightroom catalogues. however can it do subsequent incremental backups to another drive after the first one?

thanks!