Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Panasonic LUMIX G X VARIO 35-100mm / F2.8 / POWER O.I.S - hands on review

Default Re: Panasonic LUMIX G X VARIO 35-100mm / F2.8 / POWER O.I.S - hands on review

Quote Originally Posted by ed9119 View Post
    Alot of the images above were shot wide open at f2.8 (and uncropped) (check the embedded EXIF info to confirm which images)

For a 70-200 telezoom to vignette, is extremely unusual due to the telephoto focal lengths and accompanying narrrow field of view ...... vignette for shorter wide to ultrawide focal lengths I can understand.

So I am skeptical about the vignette claim but stand corrected if you can point us in the right direction

Please post a link to that review so that I can have a look at this .... I am curious

Anyway, the lens is now with Dream Merchant for his perspectives and feedback .
    add in
    Thanks for the quick reply! I'm newly registered here, so can't post links, but the review is on "photographyblog", Google "35-100 photographyblog" to go right there. He mentions the vignetting issue on the first page.

Cheers, Tom

Default Re: Panasonic LUMIX G X VARIO 35-100mm / F2.8 / POWER O.I.S - hands on review

wide open and tele for landscape ? i think you'll be better off with a different (and wider) lens stopped down than to use this 35-100 wide open for landscapes .

Sure if it rocks your boat but IMHO using this lens for landscapes is a wrong application ..... like entering a Formula One race car into a WRC Rally instead of a Subaru WRX or a Mitsubishi EVO

ok this is a seperate different discussion under "Using a fast (70-200 equivalent) telezoom for Landscape Photography"
    You're right. Getting too caught up in pixel peeping! I do actually do a lot of landscapes at longer focal lengths tho, for various reasons. I often end up with 50% crops from a 45mm lens. But I doubt the vignetting will occur stopped down. And, of course, a little vignetting doesn't hurt a portrait too much.

Cheers, Tom
    Last edited by DonTom; 2nd October 2012 at 07:53 PM. Reason: Additional info.

Quote Originally Posted by DonTom View Post
    You're right. Getting too caught up in pixel peeping! I do actually do a lot of landscapes at longer focal lengths tho, for various reasons. I often end up with 50% crops from a 45mm lens. But I doubt the vignetting will occur stopped down. And, of course, a little vignetting doesn't hurt a portrait too much.

Cheers, Tom
    Hi Tom,

Ed passed this lens to me on Sunday and I took it out for a quick drive, but since then it's been crazy (no sleep). Fortunately I had a breather and saw you message just as I took the lens out this evening.

In all honesty, from Ed's shots and my quick test, albeit at night, neither of us would have figured any kind of vignetting. Apparently, there is vignetting. I checked after seeing your posting and found the review site.

Thanks for informing us about this and the link. We hope that ClubSNAP's reviews are balanced with what photographers look for in the real world, with real world applications, expectations and parameters ... the equipment's strengths and weaknesses in a non-techinical way, and present them with integrity!

I guess there would be greater disparity between lab tests, which we do not do here, and equipment used in the real world.

Since you do landscape longer and crop 50%, I'm guessing you would not face any issues with this lens especially when stopped down.

These are some shots which shows the vignetting which I quickly grabbed after seeing your post. It's not readily apparent taking normal, everyday subjects, but it's there.

Thanks Dream Merchant.

Yes, as you say, there is some vignetting there. Wouldn't matter in portraiture really. I guess we'll see if it's still there once stopped down.

Although I crop my 45mm images, I'm hoping to avoid that with a high quality telephoto zoom! However, I don't want to take your review off topic, will happily wait to see what comes out in the next few days. Thank you very much for your post.

Cheers, Tom

Blog Entries

DM called me a few minutes before he put up his comments above .... we both agreed that truth must prevail and we're certainly not paid by manufacturers to 'kelong' the reviews nor do we wish to.... a reviewer's job is to state facts and to call a spade a spade

Looking back at my images, I hadn't noticed it .... but against a blank wall or similar here and in that other review blog... then yes I noticed it under those circumstances .... the reader should decide if this is fatal or acceptable.

Thank you Tom for bringing this up .... and DM for addressing this point.... and THANK YOU DM for preserving the integrity and neutrality of the review section
    Last edited by ed9119; 2nd October 2012 at 09:56 PM.
    shaddap and just shoot .... up close
    Walkeast

Some photos taken with the Panasonic LUMIX G X VARIO 35-100mm / F2.8 /
    POWER O.I.S lens can be found in the link below, from Post #1 - #7,
    the Mid-Autumn Festival photos only.

http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/revie...pus-e-pl5.html

Last edited by Dream Merchant; 5th October 2012 at 03:18 AM.

More photos here of the Chinese Opera, posts #13 - #15.

http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/revie...ml#post8162363

Last edited by Dream Merchant; 18th October 2012 at 07:29 PM.

CHECK OUT the effectiveness of the OIS in this lens (Post #22):

A Photo Journey - OLYMPUS E-PL5 - Page 2

Hand-Held! 200mm equivalent, 1/6 second, ISO 400!

Last edited by Dream Merchant; 18th October 2012 at 07:30 PM.

i hate clubsnap forum
    last time i was here kena poison and hoot the 12-35mm lens
    now kena poison by this 35-100mm lens

Blog Entries

lol !! now you have effective coverage from 12mm through 100mm
    Walkeast

What is gonna be the street price for this lens?

Going by the price of the 12-35mm, the 35-100mm would be around $1999 kind of pricing. Btw a Panasonic 42.5mm F1.2 is in the works to be launch next year... Not surprised if the price for that exceeds the Canon 85mm 1.2, smaller harder to make ma, lol

Blog Entries

no discussions on pricing please thanks

but understand that its a little lower than $2000 and out in a few weeks time

no more discussions on price please ..... do that in the m4/3 sub forum
    Walkeast

More samples in the Candids and Little India segment of this review (Post #30 onwards):

beautiful image of a very bitter subject matter

Quote Originally Posted by Dream Merchant View Post
    More samples in the Candids and Little India segment of this review (Post #30 onwards):

A7R3|V12|V15|FE28|MS17|MS35|MS50|50lux|50C|50Artis an|FD85L|FE85|90 cron|
    Σ24|35L|Σ50|135L|70-200G2

.... ONE FEEDBACK ...PLEASE engineer a tripod mount ONTO the lens... mounting a M4/3 body onto a tripod with this lens attached .... is scary and almost dangerous.... for the equipment.

Its very hard for a ballhead to keep the rig steady or from creeping due to the outward leverage of the lens vis a vis the body.
    Sorry for asking a silly question. If one hangs a weight (say, backpack with water bottles inside) to the tripod hook, it should be rock-stable with no risk of toppling over, ya? Correct me if I'm wrong.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by doodah View Post
    Sorry for asking a silly question. If one hangs a weight (say, backpack with water bottles inside) to the tripod hook, it should be rock-stable with no risk of toppling over, ya? Correct me if I'm wrong.
    off topic but not a silly question ..... yes it will be more stable and this technique has been used often by others to add stability ...... rock-stable? that depends on the tripod but thats off topic

but what I am referring to in my post above was the strong bias of balance of the 35-100 + m4/3 body towards the body causing undue leverage on the tripod head
    Last edited by ed9119; 30th October 2012 at 06:14 PM.
    Walkeast

What a shame. People has been receiving this lens overseas for 2 weeks, we still dreaming about it.

Blog Entries

.... no full warranty sets seen in HK yet .... only gray market sets
    Walkeast

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast