Thread: How much to pay for Amateur photograher for birthday party.

Default How much to pay for Amateur photograher for birthday party.

Hi to all CS Senior's.

I'll like to seek advise from all Senior's. I'll be celebrating my daughter birthday soon & she is getting her friend to take photo during the party. So been 1st time engaging a Amateur photographer & I'll like to know what is the market rate to pay him for per hour. I hope to get kind advise from all of you.

Thanks to all in advance.
    Mymax.

Default Re: How much to pay for Amateur photograher for birthday party.

You mean the photographer didn't tell you his rate and what is included and what is not before accept your booking?
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

Hi Catchlight.

Nope cos photographer is my daughter friend, so I'm seeking for advise & hope to get help from SC senior's.

Regards

FYI, I used to charge $200 per hour for kids birthday party, which is very low IMO.
    but to some people, they will consider very good money if they are charging one third or half of this rate.
    so you can't say there is a market rate as some people does not value their time and efforts.

and I guess he wasn't thinking about charging, so any amount you feel comfortable will do.
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

Hi Catchlight.

Thank you for yr valuable advise.

Regards

Amatuer no need to pay, he should instead pay you for giving him the chance to indulge in his hobby and also a chance to learn and experiment.

Charge him $50 per hour. If he bargain can go down a bit.
    Last edited by JasonB; 22nd September 2012 at 01:59 AM.

If he's an amateur and just want to have some fun, his way, just give him a good size hongbao

I think you should just give him any amount you feel comfortable with. Maybe give him some C&C after he shot for you. Encourage him to pursue this hobby xD

Quote Originally Posted by JasonB
    Amatuer no need to pay, he should instead pay you for giving him the chance to indulge in his hobby and also a chance to learn and experiment.

Charge him $50 per hour. If he bargain can go down a bit.
    What..... Are u like a troll or something? Photographer pay to take pictures for you? End up the guy may not even want to take pictures for TS anymore lol
    There are no bad photographers, only photos that could've been done better
    My Flickr

Mymax,

I reckon your daughter and this photographer friend of hers are probably around the same age ground and both are in their teens?

If he has no portfolio to show, why don't you kindly ask him to shoot and show case the photos after the event. If you like what you see, you can pay him whatever amount that you think is worth the effort. Like what Catchlight has indicated, 200 per hour is a rate that he charged in the past and it is indeed still low. I remembered the mentor I learned photography from when I was much younger, he charged at least 300 per hour. I believe even if you pay him 100 per hour, it would be a good sum for him.

I know I might get "hatam" for saying this but if the photographer has no portfolio to show and did not even provide a figure as an indicator, let him try it out for fun and reward him later. You never know but if he is really that good, your gesture after the whole thing might encourage him to put the system in place to make him a more successful photographer. On the other hand, if this birthday party is the scale of a ballroom event, I would suggest that you get a pro to do the job - for memory sake at least.

Quote Originally Posted by Mymax View Post
    Hi Catchlight.

Nope cos photographer is my daughter friend, so I'm seeking for advise & hope to get help from SC senior's.

Regards

A lunch date with your daughter will do the job (assuming that the photographer is a He...)

Quote Originally Posted by grandmaster33
    A lunch date with your daughter will do the job (assuming that the photographer is a He...)
    Best idea ever
    There are no bad photographers, only photos that could've been done better
    My Flickr

Quote Originally Posted by Fudgecakes View Post
    I think you should just give him any amount you feel comfortable with. Maybe give him some C&C after he shot for you. Encourage him to pursue this hobby xD

What..... Are u like a troll or something? Photographer pay to take pictures for you? End up the guy may not even want to take pictures for TS anymore lol
    Makes perfect sense. If the photographer wannabe has no good portfolio to show it is just a chance for him to play photographer. If the event is an important one, the TS and his daughter is taking a risk for him to play. Also, if TS daughter is pretty, am sure there will be lots more others wanting to take photos for them. Don't believe just start a thread on Services Wanted, sure got lotsa of people wanting to take photos for them one.

Also remember the recent thread where an amatuer photographer shot some unglam pictures and post those pics online, when requested to remove the pics, he got egotistic and start talking about rights. Thus best to manage expectations from the start. Tell the volunteer that images he post must be approved by the TS first. Young girls are very self conscious about their looks. Posting bad pics of them might result in a moody birthday.
    Last edited by sjackal; 22nd September 2012 at 12:32 PM.
    WTB Manfrotto RC4 L Bracket

Quote Originally Posted by grandmaster33 View Post
    For anyone's daughter, no need to go on date with some wannabes just to get free photography. Lotsa amatuers willing to pay to shoot and act pro. Nikon and Canon selling very well based on this exact mindset.
    Last edited by JasonB; 22nd September 2012 at 12:58 PM.

Hi Guys,
    Thanks for the inputs & suggestions. Btw the photographer is my daughter's good friend & he volunteered to be the photographer. And this is not a big scale ballroom party,just a simple 21st birthday & with invited guests from her Uni friends, close friends & relatives. I have aleady discussed with my daughter & will probably give him a big Ang Pow after everything. We will take note of the suggestions given by all of you. I really appreciate all of your sincere inputs.

Thanks to all & have great weekend.
    Mymax

Happy birthday~!

Just for laughs:

https://www.facebook.com/EmbarrassingPartyPhoto
    WTB Manfrotto RC4 L Bracket

This is what i do (and this has been done to me..)
    Tell the amatuer photographer to post his pics after the party. if you like what you see, buy the photos from him. buy from him as if you are printing the photos in 4R at a photo shop.

IT will both encourage him and at the same time make you feel better.
    If you dun like ANY or a few of the photos only, give him a hongbao and tell him thanks!

I like the fact that you think this amateur should be paid. Art should never be free and given he is going to shoot your daughter's birthday I think $150-$200 is very rewarding. That itself will be a motivation to master his skills.

Good idea.