Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 36

Thread: help needed on computer

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    toa payoh
    Posts
    270

    Default help needed on computer

    Hi, i am intending to get PC133 256mb ram and a external ethernet modem. any advices which shop you recommend in funan or SLS? any PC shows coming up in Mar? may consider to get a LCD 17inch monitor and a external harddisk drive also..

    tks..

    keith

  2. #2

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by keithjhee
    Hi, i am intending to get PC133 256mb ram and a external ethernet modem. any advices which shop you recommend in funan or SLS? any PC shows coming up in Mar? may consider to get a LCD 17inch monitor and a external harddisk drive also..

    tks..

    keith

    Check with Hardware Zone. You will get more concrete answers there.

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Hougang
    Posts
    319

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by keithjhee
    Hi, i am intending to get PC133 256mb ram and a external ethernet modem. any advices which shop you recommend in funan or SLS? any PC shows coming up in Mar? may consider to get a LCD 17inch monitor and a external harddisk drive also..

    tks..

    keith
    u might not be able to get pc133 ram as its pretty old ....
    the next nearest pc show should be in June...

  4. #4
    Deregistered
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Planet Nikon
    Posts
    21,905

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by spitfire
    u might not be able to get pc133 ram as its pretty old ....
    the next nearest pc show should be in June...
    Shouldn't be a problem getting the RAM, but it might cost you a leg & hand.

  5. #5
    Senior Member jnet6's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    not here often anymore
    Posts
    8,169

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by spitfire
    u might not be able to get pc133 ram as its pretty old ....
    the next nearest pc show should be in June...
    March have a IT show!!!!
    not need to wait till June.

  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    toa payoh
    Posts
    270

    Default

    tks!!! today pop by funan..only few shops open..saw some pc133 sdram ram but not sure can use or not..fujitsu quotes me $200!!! found out from hardwarezone maybe just about $80-150max...this sunday shd be dropping by SLS to do some market research.. any recommedations? harddisk drive Iomega or Maxtor? any reliable shops in SLS? read too much on bad shops at SLS till i scare scare..

  7. #7
    Senior Member jnet6's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    not here often anymore
    Posts
    8,169

    Default

    well.. Go for the reputable shops in SLS.
    Get a friend who knows there to bring u to the shop...
    can PM mi also!

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    lulu island
    Posts
    6,131

    Default

    I recommend Fuwell if you visit SLS. For HDD, I still prefer Western Digital but Seagates HDD has 5 years warranty while the rest are still at 3 years.

  9. #9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by keithjhee
    tks!!! today pop by funan..only few shops open..saw some pc133 sdram ram but not sure can use or not..fujitsu quotes me $200!!! found out from hardwarezone maybe just about $80-150max...this sunday shd be dropping by SLS to do some market research.. any recommedations? harddisk drive Iomega or Maxtor? any reliable shops in SLS? read too much on bad shops at SLS till i scare scare..
    Can try Cybermind if you're going to Sim Lim Square. Their prices are competitive, you can take a look at the prices on their website...

    http://www.cybermind.com.sg

    I haven't built a PC for the past 2 years but when I do, I always use IBM hard disks - never had a problem and it runs quietly

    Hope this helps.
    Pictures always should have a special story behind it or a special meaning to the photographer.

  10. #10

    Default

    Seagates tend to over heat so if your casing is not well ventilated it may be better to look at I think Western D - maxtor seem to run hotter based on the 2 units of hard disk - 1from western D the other from Maxtor. Note I am on my first replace on the maxtor after 1 month of light use.

  11. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Tampines, Singapore.
    Posts
    1,899

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by keithjhee
    Hi, i am intending to get PC133 256mb ram and a external ethernet modem. any advices which shop you recommend in funan or SLS? any PC shows coming up in Mar? may consider to get a LCD 17inch monitor and a external harddisk drive also..

    tks..

    keith
    Dell was offering their ultra-sharp 17" LCD panel for $499 two weeks ago. have used their ultra-sharp panels on laptop and standalone, very good.

  12. #12
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    801

    Default

    I've got a questions also, i bought a external hdd, but it can't work, in a sense on that when i plug in the USB, it says detected but when i go to "My Computer", I did not see the icon. Anyone can help?

  13. #13

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Flyingpig
    I've got a questions also, i bought a external hdd, but it can't work, in a sense on that when i plug in the USB, it says detected but when i go to "My Computer", I did not see the icon. Anyone can help?
    Erm.... can give more details? For eg. Processor speed, RAM, Operating system, details of your external hard disk, are you connected to a network.. etc.

    The info will help us help you
    Pictures always should have a special story behind it or a special meaning to the photographer.

  14. #14

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Flyingpig
    I've got a questions also, i bought a external hdd, but it can't work, in a sense on that when i plug in the USB, it says detected but when i go to "My Computer", I did not see the icon. Anyone can help?
    are you by any chance connecting your external HDD to a notebook without using any external power for your HDD? from my understanding, some notebook's USB may not have sufficient "power" to run these external devices. You may need to connect your external HDD to the AC.

  15. #15
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    801

    Default

    My Externall hdd is a 3.5inch one so it needs power supply. Mine is maxtor 40GB one, I don't know about the processor speed..When i plug in, it can be detected like what usually you plug in your cam or mp3player etc, but the icon doesn't show out.

    i've screenshot this..detected but nothing came out in "my computer"..
    Last edited by Flyingpig; 13th February 2005 at 12:49 AM.

  16. #16
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    12,938

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hitman
    I haven't built a PC for the past 2 years but when I do, I always use IBM hard disks - never had a problem and it runs quietly
    IBM sold off their harddisk business to Hitachi.

    Personally, I have 2-3 IBM harddisks that failed within a year. But these are all from a particular model that seemed to always have problems.

  17. #17

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Flyingpig
    My Externall hdd is a 3.5inch one so it needs power supply. Mine is maxtor 40GB one, I don't know about the processor speed..When i plug in, it can be detected like what usually you plug in your cam or mp3player etc, but the icon doesn't show out.

    i've screenshot this..detected but nothing came out in "my computer"..

    Cannot see your screen shot. BTW, have you formatted your new harddisk?
    Jerfotography Nikon D300
    Power by iMac MBP iPhone 6+ iPad Air

  18. #18

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by keithjhee
    tks!!! today pop by funan..only few shops open..saw some pc133 sdram ram but not sure can use or not..fujitsu quotes me $200!!! found out from hardwarezone maybe just about $80-150max...this sunday shd be dropping by SLS to do some market research.. any recommedations? harddisk drive Iomega or Maxtor? any reliable shops in SLS? read too much on bad shops at SLS till i scare scare..
    if you have some budget, consider getting those portable storage (if u dun already have one) that are equipped with storage cards slots such as those sold at Eastgear . I personally owns a X's-Drive Pro VP300 which I find very useful both as an external HDD as well as a portable storage for backup during photography trips

  19. #19
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    toa payoh
    Posts
    270

    Default

    wow! tks for all the tips here.. got a better pics in what n where i be looking for at SLS now.. as for portable storage from eastgear, i was considering those as a option also...

    tks tks..

  20. #20
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    801

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jer
    Cannot see your screen shot. BTW, have you formatted your new harddisk?
    I did went back to the shop and ask, and they told me to formatted the HD before i can use, he told me to go control panal, admin tools, but i can't format it there, but i tried to plug in mp3player and i can choose to format as it is detected as storage.

    Sorry hope it can be view now..

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •