Page 33 of 50 FirstFirst ... 8232831323334353843 ... LastLast

Thread: D600 User Thread

Quote Originally Posted by wolfton
    90% of the time I use centre point AF and recompose too. What I did was to hold down the AE/AF lock button before recompose. So far results are good, except when my subject moves.
    Whats the lens that u used? This problem only happens to me when im using very shallow dof (like 1-2cm). Focused on subject's eyes and after i recomposed and release shutter, the nose is in perfect focus but eyes slightly oof.

With LR 4.3 supporting this camera fully now, it has further increased my love for it. Those who have not explored the new LR4.3, go pull out your older RAW files and see how much difference it makes
    Im using LR4.2 now, it's there a lot of difference?? Ur making me very excited!!
    Last edited by Zaknafein; 18th December 2012 at 02:08 PM.
    Photo Album - Photo Album

Quote Originally Posted by Zaknafein

Whats the lens that u used? This problem only happens to me when im using very shallow dof (like 1-2cm). Focused on subject's eyes and after i recomposed and release shutter, the nose is in perfect focus but eyes slightly oof.

Im using LR4.2 now, it's there a lot of difference?? Ur making me very excited!!

I used f1.4 and f1.8 primes, indoor shooting children who cannot sit still Try switching to AF-C mode as well.

Haha for LR, you should go try it out. I can feel the difference. Remember to use the camera calibrator, the last item on "develop" menu.
    "Time is often the best editor" - Alex Webb

I used f1.4 and f1.8 primes, indoor shooting children who cannot sit still Try switching to AF-C mode as well.

Haha for LR, you should go try it out. I can feel the difference. Remember to use the camera calibrator, the last item on "develop" menu.
    Im not even talking about moving subjects, just stationary ppl posing for a photo. Do u manage to get perfect spot-on focus in most shots @ f1.4 or f1.8 (95%)? How do u do tat at such shallow dof?

Do u try to move as little as possible when recomposing to keep the distance from camera to subject the same?

I haven really used Camera calibrator... its for applying things like saturation, contrasts to all ur pix right?
    Last edited by Zaknafein; 18th December 2012 at 04:08 PM.

I guess the problem with AF-Lock is that although the focus locks, when the distance between the subject and the camera moves even slightly, it causes oof issues, and then I find that what I intended to be focused is slightly oof because of me moving while recomposing the shot. And from what I have experienced, the moving issue is mainly the cause of the problem. Thus, I strive to move as little when recomposing.
    One Pink Dog to rule them all! The friendly neighborhood Pink Dog in ClubSnap! :D

Quote Originally Posted by Infinex
    I guess the problem with AF-Lock is that although the focus locks, when the distance between the subject and the camera moves even slightly, it causes oof issues, and then I find that what I intended to be focused is slightly oof because of me moving while recomposing the shot. And from what I have experienced, the moving issue is mainly the cause of the problem. Thus, I strive to move as little when recomposing.
    Yes! This is what i have been trying to say but u worded it perfecty.

Maybe as someone pointed out, can try using AF-c focus tracking so tat while recomposing, the intended-focus stays focused. But haven tried extensively how accurate and consistent it will turn out.

This is my biggest learning curve as of now, to get consistant spot-on focus while using large apertures

With large apertures, these kind of problems are really common. However, I guess with AF-C, focus would also be able to be locked easier and oof issues could be solved with continous tracking, It seems like we are in the same boat as this is also my greatest learning curve: trying to get consistent and accurate focus. More simply put, mastering AF-Lock.
    One Pink Dog to rule them all! The friendly neighborhood Pink Dog in ClubSnap! :D

When shooting wide open, it's important to have proper holding and breathing technique. This means there are 3 things you need to do at 1 time, including the AE/AF lock. With practice, it can be done. One way is to find some item at home and keep practicing at your free time.

I can get sharp images wide open, but I seldom shoot wide open now especially any lens brighter than f1.8. There have been too many instances whereby the eyes are razor sharp but the nose is OOF due to the large aperture, especially at close distance. I now only shoot wide open selectively depending on situation. To me, having a f1.4 lens does not mean I must shoot at f1.4. Maybe you guys can try experimenting and see how it fares. Your experience may differ. My subjects are 90% non stationery types.

Hahha yea u could say we are in the same boat.

Now Im wondering if photographers who shoot ff bodies + lens like 85 f1.4, with even more shallow dof, get consistant spot-on focus.

I need to start from basic again and improve my shooting techniques lol

Now Im wondering if photographers who shoot ff bodies + lens like 85 f1.4, with even more shallow dof, get consistant spot-on focus.

My past experience is the shorter FL lenses are the ones that may have this problem. Longer FL lenses seldom have this issue, but then again, the 85mm is probably the only one with aperture below f2.

When shooting wide open, it's important to have proper holding and breathing technique. This means there are 3 things you need to do at 1 time, including the AE/AF lock. With practice, it can be done. One way is to find some item at home and keep practicing at your free time.
    Many of u may probably already know this, but just sharing in case there are those who dun.

By default, u dun have to use the AE/AF lock button to lock focus. Keeping ur shutter release button half pressed is already locking focus

But wolfton is right, i need more practice and get used to ff body

Default Re: D600 User Thread

Which serial numbers are they selling in Singapore currently?

Many of u may probably already know this, but just sharing in case there are those who dun.

By default, u dun have to use the AE/AF lock button to lock focus. Keeping ur shutter release button half pressed is already locking focus

But wolfton is right, i need more practice and get used to ff body
    Bro ever thought of just using the other AF points? I always tell myself to use since this cam has so many, but centre AF recompose have already been imbedded into my sub conscious mind, I always fail to do it in actual shoot.....

Quote Originally Posted by Zaknafein View Post

hmmm no wonder I pull out photos shot using D200 looks better now...

My past experience is the shorter FL lenses are the ones that may have this problem. Longer FL lenses seldom have this issue, but then again, the 85mm is probably the only one with aperture below f2.
    But comparing first shot at 35mm @f2, and 2nd shot 70mm @f2.8, i would expect the 2nd shot to have shallower dof tho....

Correct me if im wrong

Bro ever thought of just using the other AF points? I always tell myself to use since this cam has so many, but centre AF recompose have already been imbedded into my sub conscious mind, I always fail to do it in actual shoot.....
    Recomposing has also been like 2nd nature to me... And i dun really like changing my af points around often. The center one is usually the best performer and its too slow to move it around. I guess u dun have to force urself to use them if u dun wan to hahahh

But comparing first shot at 35mm @f2, and 2nd shot 70mm @f2.8, i would expect the 2nd shot to have shallower dof tho....

Correct me if im wrong
    You are right bro. I think in both cases the OOF issue won't be present.

I have found that the 35mm and 50mm FL at large apertures (f1.8 and below) tend to have the OOF nose issues for portraits. If you shoot these FL alot, then you gotta watch out for it when shooting wide open, and apply correct techniques. All other FL so far seems ok so far to me.

Btw, I do believe the distance between camera vs subject vs background have more impact than the aperture or FL used when comparing DOF. I have some shots at f5.6-f8 that have smooth blurry background too.

I believe all 3 plays a more or less equal part in dof. At very short FL like ultrawide, it is often difficult to get a blurry background unless u are focusing at almost min focusing distance and have a very faraway background. At 200mm, even f8 will often isolate subject from background to certain extend.

Hmmm... I think we are getting out of topic here hahha. Lets stick back to d600 discussion

I believe nikon sg will repair for u, but I dun think us warranty is covered. Hence u gotta pay for repair service

Only lenses are international warranty

Actually whats the use of the eyecup? Issit just for comfort? Never used one so im not sure...

I think i had mentioned this small problem before, the d600 8-way directional pad is too small, its hard to press the diagonal directions.

I cant tell if the sensor self-cleaning is working. Doesnt seem to have sound during cleaning :/

No matter how much I tweak the lens AF fine-tune, doesnt seem to have much effect (maybe im doing something wrong, but according to the menu seems quite straight forward)

Other than the body, its also hard to find a soft screen protector for d600. I dun really like the hard kind tat came with the body. I prefer those handphone kind of soft ones. Anyone knows where to get it?

Problems aside, the camera Image quality is really amazing! Ironically, sometimes i think the MP is too much, it takes my laptop a long time to view it at 100% when doing pp in lightroom (duo core 2.5ghz, 3gb ram, underpowered i know)

for the price i really think nikon has done a great job squeezing as many features as they can at this price. Doesnt feel like an entry-level fullframe body with its numerous AF points and af response.

On a side-note, i feel theres quite a bit of learnit curve coming from d80. When using 35mm @f2, the dof is really so shallow tat sometimes by recomposing, the focus has already shifted. Anyone has tips for me?

Eye cups help to cut off external light sources and distractions, useful for me, or maybe just me. Sensor cleaning wise, you really need to try it in a very quiet situation like at night, where you can only hear your ears ringing. There is the sound but not that audible during day time.

Soft-screen protector why not consider GGS? I pretty like the build.

24MP is a long way to go for a FX hope they don't cram too much in D600S or D400.

I use MF. Takes a bit of practice, but you can get it done.