Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 21 to 30 of 30

Thread: A happy new year and a sad day for clubsnap

  1. #21

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Ho
    What are all these comments about freedom of speech and god? Did I delete any of your postings?

    People who know me long enough will realise that I hate flamewars, heated arguements and groundless accusations. And once I am involved to respond to a thread, that means things have gone overboard. As much as my role on ClubSNAP requires me to act on these threads, I have never enjoyed doing such things.

    I always advocate peaceful resolution if there is any issue. I hate and never like people taking forum as their debating or fighting ground to argue their way around. That is because things will never get resolved in the best manner for all parties involved on forums once it gets into the public. Heated argument, nasty words of exchange and even threats will appear and this doesnt help at all.

    I can understand how and why people can get personal over words. No, I am not stopping or trying to control anyone emotion. Neither am I to say whos right or whos wrong. But can I have a simple request from our members here? Please try your best to control the tone of your own postings as much as possible. If things really get too heated, cool down, logout and relax a bit. Reading and quoting with a more heated and/or personal isnt going to help. Is that too much to ask for?

    Also as much freedom as I give everyone to post their views on this forum, shouldnt I be given the same amount of freedom to act and react on things/issues that I feel its best for this forum to move on? Or is that consider too "godly" for our members too?
    If you had frozen the discussion (temporarily or permanently) I would have understood. The issue raised is that you "punished" someone by "locking them out", when in fact your actions are punishing the community since we will miss the knowledge that student's postings offered.. Also the offence is not so obvious to those who have so far posted. even if you do consider it to be serious the intensions are obviously geniune, again meriting other action.

    Yes, in project management the starting point is "..Nobody plans to fail but very often we fail to plan..." but there are many ways to apply it.

    -- Marios

  2. #22
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    12,938

    Default

    hongsien, u probably read too much into the words. This is what Adam wrote originally: I know where you are coming from, stemming from the disappointment which you have experienced. . The first part was repeated a second time when student clarified further and the subsequent response was rather strong.

    Think I shan't comment too much on the issue. For better or worse, what's been done has been done. I tried to cool things down and got questioned as well If the discussion had been over a kopi session, probably things would turn out more amicable.
    Last edited by mpenza; 11th February 2005 at 02:13 PM.

  3. #23
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    hErE lAh
    Posts
    975

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hongsien
    I did find his posting weren't that serious, he didn't use harsh words, time to look at what Adam said: ''I know where you come from'....now what does that mean?............Student was just asking for the people to be abit more welcoming, thats all, and this evoked an in my eyes uncalled derogorative comment from Adam Goi.........

    HS
    Adam said "Now I see where you're really coming from. Let's hear from the rest."

    I didn't think it was a derogatory comment. He said it after Student expressed his views on the "not so friendly" atmosphere he had encountered at SEED. I saw it as an invitation for others to comment if they felt that way as well. However, Student's response to that sounded more like a rant.

  4. #24
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Singapore & Hong Kong
    Posts
    903

    Default

    As a retired mod of a local forum of 4 years, you have my support and understanding on this issue.

    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Ho
    Also as much freedom as I give everyone to post their views on this forum, shouldnt I be given the same amount of freedom to act and react on things/issues that I feel its best for this forum to move on? Or is that consider too "godly" for our members too?

  5. #25
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Hong Kong
    Posts
    3,688

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by lavenderlilz
    Adam said "Now I see where you're really coming from. Let's hear from the rest."

    I didn't think it was a derogatory comment. He said it after Student expressed his views on the "not so friendly" atmosphere he had encountered at SEED. I saw it as an invitation for others to comment if they felt that way as well. However, Student's response to that sounded more like a rant.
    Hi lavender,

    it was two posts before the one you mentioned: post #41:

    Adam Goi
    ClubSNAP Idol

    Join Date: Jan 2002
    Location: Jalan Suka
    Posts: 5,439
    Send a message via MSN to Adam Goi

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by: student



    I was at SEED twice.

    The first time, I waited and waited, and left after a while! The "starting" time was way past what was announced!

    I tried again a second time. This time, I met the group, and actually introduced myself to Adam. But the rest of the evening was spent sitting with one or two other persons whom I happened to know. Certainly I did not feel welcome! Even the people who sat right in front of me was only interested in looking at the images in their computers.

    The same thing happens in churches. When a person visits a church the first time, he sees groups of people talking and socialising with each other. Apart from a "welcome" acknowledgement, the newcomers are actually left alone! So much for "welcome"!

    The crux of the matter is that orgainsers should make more effort o "network" with newcomers. The "burden" should not be on the shoulders of the newcomers.




    I have to disagree with you student. I know where you are coming from, stemming from the disappointment which you have experienced. All of us are adults here and my style is not to spoon-feed ... even though in my line of work, I'm expected to do that from time to time but I don't do that for adults, not for SEED. Apparently my style does not work for all and I'm not claiming I'm right in every way. Friendship is a compound word, i.e. made up of two words, it takes two so the responsibility should still be shared.

    I'd be interested to learn from you on how 'organisers should make more effort to network with newcomers'."

  6. #26
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Hong Kong
    Posts
    3,688

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mpenza
    hongsien, u probably read too much into the words. This is what Adam wrote originally: I know where you are coming from, stemming from the disappointment which you have experienced. . The first part was repeated a second time when student clarified further and the subsequent response was rather strong.

    Think I shan't comment too much on the issue. For better or worse, what's been done has been done. I tried to cool things down and got questioned as well If the discussion had been over a kopi session, probably things would turn out more amicable.
    Hi,

    First Student was being made a kind of 'fool' by being told off with "I know where you come from' and then again for being not an adult........tell me who is harsh and who started all of his reactions?.......I didn't find it strange that student reacted in the (not so bad) way he did.........

    HS

  7. #27

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lensman
    As a retired mod of a local forum of 4 years, you have my support and understanding on this issue.
    As a forum user since the good old days of "news" (back in 1987), I think he acted harshly. Yet the resolution was given much to his credit:

    http://forums.clubsnap.org/showthrea...25#post1093125

    -- Marios

  8. #28
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Singapore & Hong Kong
    Posts
    903

    Default

    Yup, you are entitled to your opinions also.

    Cheers

    Quote Originally Posted by marios_pittas
    ...... I think he acted harshly. ....

    -- Marios

  9. #29
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    12,938

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hongsien
    Hi,

    First Student was being made a kind of 'fool' by being told off with "I know where you come from' and then again for being not an adult........tell me who is harsh and who started all of his reactions?.......I didn't find it strange that student reacted in the (not so bad) way he did.........

    HS
    I find that you're reading too much into the words. to me, yours is probably a more extreme interpretation of the words. but u're entitled to ur opinions.

  10. #30
    ClubSNAP Admin Darren's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    8,510
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default

    I am closing off this thread as it no longer serves any useful purpose and it may even lead to more disagreement.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •