Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: F1 Singtel Singapore Grandprix

Quote Originally Posted by SkyStrike

Never tried it yet, but from the manual, it should be mode 2 if the cars are going from left<->right instead of coming towards you..

Sony and their in-built stabilizers...(SSS?)
    Hmmm, I was at singapore karting championship and was trying out mode 2 but results not very good. Maybe I wasn't perpendicular to the karts which was why mode 2 was not suitable?

Then I switched to mode 1 which gave me more assurance, haha.

Default Re: F1 Singtel Singapore Grandprix

Quote Originally Posted by esoeij View Post
    Is it less crowded and hence better for roving around on practice day (e.g. Friday) as compared to race day?
    Yeah, about only 50% of the crowd.
    Alpha

According to the manual mode 2 is for panning use (horizontal movements) while mode 1 is for all direction (up down left right). I've yet to try out mode 2 since I don't do panning..

Reading from other forums, for non horizontal or vertical panning (as in diagonal panning), mode 1 works better.
    Too many great equipments but too little quality photos. [My Flickr] | [My Blog]

I recall one school of thought discussed before is that at high or very high shutter speeds (say 1/500 or faster), IS may not be necessary anyway, and in fact leaving the IS on might affect the IQ. Dunno how true this is though.

A couple of links on this topic:
    Nikon VR explained

The Online Photographer: Oddities of Image Stabilization

Quote Originally Posted by esoeij
    I recall one school of thought discussed before is that at high or very high shutter speeds (say 1/500 or faster), IS may not be necessary anyway, and in fact leaving the IS on might affect the IQ. Dunno how true this is though.

A couple of links on this topic:
    Nikon VR explained

The Online Photographer: Oddities of Image Stabilization
    I read it somewhere also but I estimate the shutter speed will be around 1/250s(based on photos exif), depending on the speed of the car. Not really wanna use high shutter speed as it may freeze the motion altogether and also will result in higher iso being used.

See how ba, will adjust accordingly. Shooting with 400mm and utilising shutter speed well below 1/focal length, IS is definitely good to have.

i don't think the 100-400mm will come in handy.
    i suggest you to bring 7D+70-200mm and the 10-22mm.
    if you do not want the hassle to change lens,then pair the 550D with 10-22mm.

This was the spot from which I got the best shots back in 2008.

The location is at the top of the Bay Grandstand. I am not sure if they still allow people to shoot from this corner anymore. With an ultrawide you get this angle but with a 70-200mm you can get this.

When I went back in other years, my shots weren't as nice or unique - due to the aforementioned moving around and tussling with the crowd to get a half-decent shooting position.
    Last edited by r32; 21st September 2012 at 06:58 PM.

bro, any cropping done?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12