Thread: another shoot while doing street photography

Default another shoot while doing street photography

1. In what area is critique to be sought
    Any form of critique is welcome, but I am hoping more on the background side, pillar on the right

2. What one hopes to achieve with the piece of work
    I would like to catch the emotion of the animal

3. Under what circumstances is the picture taken
    On bright noon, and the animal keep on moving

4. What the critique seeker personally thinks of the picture
    I capture the emotion alright, but not sure with the background

thanks

Nis

Default Re: another shoot while doing street photography

Nice picture. The white bird is very detailed.
    What is, if you cut off the window at the upper left together with the light blue pole?
    Try the next time a selective focus (f-stop with a small number). That would still more soften the background.
    Jan

Quote Originally Posted by jankap View Post
    Nice picture. The white bird is very detailed.
    What is, if you cut off the window at the upper left together with the light blue pole?
    Try the next time a selective focus (f-stop with a small number). That would still more soften the background.
    Jan
    thanks Jan

sorry forget to include my exif Data

it was taken using D5100, 18-105VR (kit), shoot at 18mm, massive cropping already done, spot metering on the eye of the rooster, after reviewing your comment just realize that top left corner is quite distracting, thank you for your feedback

TRy to improve on the composition.....just my 2 cents
    7D w/ 70-300mm/50mm1.8/70-200F4L/17-50mm F2.8

Quote Originally Posted by ndaniel
    1. In what area is critique to be sought
    Any form of critique is welcome, but I am hoping more on the background side, pillar on the right

2. What one hopes to achieve with the piece of work
    I would like to catch the emotion of the animal

3. Under what circumstances is the picture taken
    On bright noon, and the animal keep on moving

4. What the critique seeker personally thinks of the picture
    I capture the emotion alright, but not sure with the background

thanks

Nis
    framing could be better..prolly can take more side view..not too much..n blur out the background..it's abit too distracting....love the detail of the feathers though

Quote Originally Posted by ndaniel View Post
    it was taken using D5100, 18-105VR (kit), shoot at 18mm, massive cropping already done, spot metering on the eye of the rooster, after reviewing your comment just realize that top left corner is quite distracting, thank you for your feedback
    Why spot metering on the eye? Or rather focusing with single AF?
    Zoom in with your lens, cut off what is not required. The actual eye catcher is the head and the feathers around, everything else is not really relevant. Doing this you will blur the little bit of background much better.
    EOS

Quote Originally Posted by Octarine View Post
    Why spot metering on the eye? Or rather focusing with single AF?
    Zoom in with your lens, cut off what is not required. The actual eye catcher is the head and the feathers around, everything else is not really relevant. Doing this you will blur the little bit of background much better.
    thanks Octarine, this shoot was so accidental, while I review my previous shoot, this rooster suddenly creating noise, I just aimed without changing the focus, zoom, etc, just don't have enough time, therefor shoot was on 18mm, rather than maybe 50?

think that make me unsure is background directly behind the rooster, is it distracting on your opinion?

Quote Originally Posted by ndaniel View Post
    think that make me unsure is background directly behind the rooster, is it distracting on your opinion?
    Yes, it is. Three points about this:
    a) colour: the shiny blue gives a contrast to the rooster. but contrasts work only well of both sides are next to each other, therefore the blue is sneaking in and grabbing attention
    b) forms: it's a clear rectangular shape
    c) focus: it is (still) clearly visible
    The human mind tries to resolve and recognize whatever there is, especially if it's just a bit out of focus. This attempt draws away the attention from the main subject. So either crop what is not needed, or throw it out of focus completely.
    I do understand the situation you were in, sometimes it is tricky to react fast enough to capture such moments. Therefore it's best that you think through it here, the next time you come to such situations you are mentally already prepared.
    The main question is: do you want to capture and emphasize a single item / person? If yes, zoom in, open up aperture and get what is essential about it (=> portrait composition). If you want to show context (e.g. the rooster with the hen and the little ones) then step back, close aperture, frame wider (=> landscape composition). Unfortunately, there's no hard and fast rule and you might find yourself in the grey zone between these two.
    Another option is to stop walking around and sit down on a spot where you have a clean background. Just wait and see whatever comes closer and comes into the right position to your background. Let life happen around you
    EOS

Thanks,

I am really need to prepare better for such event