Thread: Error in pre-packed new bank notes?

Default Error in pre-packed new bank notes?

Anyone have the experience of missing bank notes in stacks of new $2? When you change for CNY, typically, the bank gives you the whole stack without counting. My stack missing 2 notes already. That's $4. How to claim back? Anyway, will buy 4D of the serial number of missing notes. Maybe can get back.

Blog Entries

I have found missing serial numbers as well. But if I am not wrong the total amount is correct, they must have removed the golden numbers to sell for a higher price.

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by keithtty
    Anyone have the experience of missing bank notes in stacks of new $2? When you change for CNY, typically, the bank gives you the whole stack without counting. My stack missing 2 notes already. That's $4. How to claim back? Anyway, will buy 4D of the serial number of missing notes. Maybe can get back.
    the onus is on you to check the accuracy of the notes handed to you before leaving the counter. not to do so is your choice.

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by ortega
    I have found missing serial numbers as well. But if I am not wrong the total amount is correct, they must have removed the golden numbers to sell for a higher price.
    yes, it is true.

my mom's had that experience as well. First time though that she's experienced this. I counted the whole stack and found that the total amount matched up. Although it means you now have to be extra careful how many pieces you put in the ang pow. Can't rely on the serial numbers anymore.

the bank will take out the golden number notes before they pass the notes to you. that has been a standard thing for a few years now because these notes can easily be sold for more than their face value.

as for the REAL topic - missing notes from the stack - it's up to the person who receives the money to do a count - or ask the banker at the counter to do a count and show it to you. there's usually no way to claim because you'd have signed a form with your name, IC and signature on it proclaiming that you've changed the correct amount.

anyway it's (luckily) only $4 and not like $100... so exercise care next time.

regards

happy cny !

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by sequitur
    the bank will take out the golden number notes before they pass the notes to you. that has been a standard thing for a few years now because these notes can easily be sold for more than their face value.

as for the REAL topic - missing notes from the stack - it's up to the person who receives the money to do a count - or ask the banker at the counter to do a count and show it to you. there's usually no way to claim because you'd have signed a form with your name, IC and signature on it proclaiming that you've changed the correct amount.

anyway it's (luckily) only $4 and not like $100... so exercise care next time.

regards

happy cny !
    minor correction, not the banks, used to be the Board of Commissioners of Currency, Singapore, but now it is MAS.

same here...some of the notes "appear" to be missing but the quantity/amount is correct.... I too believe that the golden s/nos. are being removed.

Quote Originally Posted by keithtty
    Are u sure its 2 missing or just 2 serial numbers missing.

The lack of the 2 serial numbers maybe due to the "golden numbers" but physically do u have 100 notes per stack?

Cos from what i know, the chance of counting error is not very common, they usually count it 2 times (they flip the notes over to re-count and to make sure the front and back is "ok", not like 1 side printed the other not)
    Standard bank practise.

I find myself Counting wrongly more often then the bank counting wrongly.