Thread: Any suggestion how to repair/hide a nick on the exterior of a DSLR?

Default Any suggestion how to repair/hide a nick on the exterior of a DSLR?

Dropped my DSLR sigh... heart pain...

Fortunately, everything seems ok. Only issue was the plastic battery catch kena broken. Will send it in for servicing.

One corner of the base also kena nicked, exposing the silvery interior. I doubt if Nikon is willing to repair it (or at least I am willing to pay for the repair cost). Any suggestion how to "fill" the nick and paint over it?

Blog Entries

Default Re: Any suggestion how to repair/hide a nick on the exterior of a DSLR?

i find really hard wax useful. i'm using it to repair my boots nicks and cuts... so far holding up.

Blog Entries

Just use a black permanent marker and draw over it. every time it shows again, just do it again.

Don't repair or hide it. It shows that you actually use your camera. Let it wear it's dings and dents with pride!
    Alpha

Quote Originally Posted by UncleFai View Post
    Dropped my DSLR sigh... heart pain...

Fortunately, everything seems ok. Only issue was the plastic battery catch kena broken. Will send it in for servicing.

One corner of the base also kena nicked, exposing the silvery interior. I doubt if Nikon is willing to repair it (or at least I am willing to pay for the repair cost). Any suggestion how to "fill" the nick and paint over it?
    Use Selly's Steel Epoxy,it's a two part glue.Hardens like steel,can be sanded and drilled.Catch is it's grey in colour.
    My tip is to fill up the nick and use straight edge plastic card to level with surface and wipe off excess quickly.Then use fine sand paper to finish and repaint.(after it's has dried/hardened).

digital rev has a nice tutorial.

Quote Originally Posted by eleveninth
    digital rev has a nice tutorial.
    Sorry I searched but could not find it. Can you send me a link? Thanks!

There are black markers made just for this purpose (camera scratches repair). Do a search on eBay. I bought one before and its now lying somewhere.

You might want to try the Devon Putty, is a two part putty which you need to mix them. After the putty set it is hard like rock, can with stand heat at least 150 to 200 degree C. For aluminium color putty product code name is 10610, for steel color putty (in back color) product code name is 10110. Using method same like Selly's Steel Putty, let it set for half a day, best for a day then sand it down with fine sand paper. The Devon Putty is used in the industry for patch up small hole in steel or aluminium material. If you never use this before best to try on surface other than the camera first to see the result.
    Canon 5D II, 20-35 f/2.8L, 28-80 f/2.8L, 70-200 f/4L IS, 100-300 f/5.6L, 100 f/2.8 Macro