Thread: Display discrepancies with Nikon View & Photoshop

Default Display discrepancies with Nikon View & Photoshop

Hi there all!

I have this weird problem when I view photos with both Nikon View and Photoshop CS.

My recent shots were taken all in the SRGB I format, and apparently, it seems to me that Photoshop tends to render pictures more "vividly".

I wonder what could be the problem. I've set the RGB color spaces in both programs to the default SRGB, and even tried to set to use the embedded profiles in the photos.

I've played with the rendering intents, black point compensation, dither, rendering engine, but the same thing still persists.

I've done a screenshot of the differences. The one on the left is opened with Photoshop, the other one is opened with Nikon Viewer.

Thanks a lot, and Happy New Year!
    Last edited by SNAG; 9th February 2005 at 09:52 PM.

I'm not an expert in things Nikon, but it looks from your screenshot that the Nikon View photo is in RAW (or .NEF if it's a Nikon photo...Why else would you use Nikon View DOH!) Which might be disregarding the fact that you have selected an SRGB colour space. Presumably when you open your photo in PS, it doesn't open up with the Camera Raw interface. Is your camera set to record both RAW and JPEG at the same time.. It's just a thought but may answer your query.

[QUOTE=SNAG]Hi there all!

Another thing, if u check the gamut on both pics.
    the pic on the left, if u were to sent for print out, u may not get the red that u want, becos the "paper" cannot produce such a vivid colour.

Deregistered

Try setting both the programs to point to your default monitor profiles.

noticing the same thing here. In PS version 6 or 7 and in Widoz viewers the file is more vivd than in Nikon's software.

Hi all!
    First and foremost, thanks for the replies...

stroma > erm... actually, this shot was taken in JPG format. Couldn't see on how you derived that it was a NEF file.

jnet6 > that's true all right... Soft-proofing the image showed that a lot of the reds were out of gamut.

espn > thanks for the tip. What I did was that I pointed Photoshop to my calibrated monitor profile, and all was well.

But however, my "Colour Management Policies" options were greyed out. Assuming that I point my working sRGB color space to my monitor profile, would I have problems with profile management in the future?

The SRGB profile that I have is sRGB IEC61966-2.1.

EDIT: I just realised that Windows actually displays the same image (with the same tonality) as what was displayed on Photoshop.

Could it be Nikon View that is not managing the colour profiles properly? My problem is similar to this...

http://www.24help.info/showthread.php?t=314990

ellery > So which you think is the correct displayed photo? I don't think that Photoshop is profile-unaware... I'm confused...

EDIT2 Now, the even more confusing thing is that my shots were actually all in Adobe RGB!

Photoshop claims that my shots were in Adobe RGB, but from the EXIF, my shots were in sRGB(I). I've confirmed that my camera (a D70) was shot in sRGB(I).

Could it be the D70 firmware bug (the one on color spaces)? I have yet to update my camera.
    Last edited by SNAG; 11th February 2005 at 06:58 PM.

SNAG
    Not a clear idea but I do have some suspion that Nikon's sRGB and PS's are not exactly the same.

Grin if you try viewing on LCD and a profiled CRT on the same image is the same software be prepared for some mild hair tearing. Worse still if the LCD is on a laptop angle of screen plays a part in the contrast tone seen.

Quote Originally Posted by ellery
    SNAG
    Not a clear idea but I do have some suspion that Nikon's sRGB and PS's are not exactly the same.

Grin if you try viewing on LCD and a profiled CRT on the same image is the same software be prepared for some mild hair tearing. Worse still if the LCD is on a laptop angle of screen plays a part in the contrast tone seen.
    Thanks for the updates...
    I've actually pointed both programs to the same sRGB profile( in c:/windows/system32/spool/drivers), still no go.

I'm using a profiled CRT here....