View Poll Results: What is your understanding of a Watermark?

Voters
21. You may not vote on this poll
  • Signature over the photo is just a stamp, watermark is digitally signed & cannot be seen visually

15 71.43%
  • Watermark is my name or personalisation printed over the photo & can be seen visually

6 28.57%

Thread: What is your understanding of a Watermark for Photos?

Default What is your understanding of a Watermark for Photos?

What is your understanding of a Watermark for Photos?

I've seen photographers mention watermark on their photos when they are actually refering to their signature or marking....

From what I understand, a digital photo watermark is hidden and cannot be seen visually. The watermark is a form of copyright and need to be registered with some licensing agency. Watermark can be inserted or checked by using a graphic software like Adobe Photoshop.

A photo with the photographer's name, personalisation is more of a stamp to indentify who is the author of the photo. It's more of a stamp rather than to be considered a watermark.

Of cos I could be wrong, kindly please provide your views and comments here. This is not meant to flame anyone...
    Last edited by Ashleyy; 9th February 2005 at 03:39 PM.

http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=watermark

As for digital watermark... i'm not sure, mebbe there are more than one form or digital watermark? the one u mentioned is one of them.

water mark on photo is an ownership issue thingy..hehe
    Last edited by user111; 9th February 2005 at 10:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by w.s
    http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=watermark

As for digital watermark... i'm not sure, mebbe there are more than one form or digital watermark? the one u mentioned is one of them.
    interesting dictionary reference, never knew watermark is also mean the high water level, the "high-water mark" being more commonly used.

also the "thing" that actually create the watermark during paper manufacturing is called the dandy roll, could be a trade slang though.

everything you wanted to know about watermarks but were afraid to ask…

http://www.unisourcelink.com/commerc...Watermarks.pdf

Depends on the context. If you say plainly watermark then it means the obvious, if you say 'digital' watermark then it would imply to me your 1st poll choice.

Quote Originally Posted by gadget
    Depends on the context. If you say plainly watermark then it means the obvious, if you say 'digital' watermark then it would imply to me your 1st poll choice.
    I guess the context will be between the understanding of the commonly use of watermarking and whether it is the right term to use?

if you mean the way it has been "commonly used" in the CS portraits section, then I'd say No.

my understanding:

a watermark is just a signature or whatever you wanna call it printed on the photo you can see visually. It is commonly semi-transparent or totally opaque.

a digital watermark is also a signature embeded (hidden) into a picture file no one can see visually, unless by means of softwares or plugins. this digital watermark is proprietory and each embeded digital watermark costs money.

both serves the same purpose regarding ownership.

actually a watermark is traditionally not visually obvious. it also serves to identify the source of the paper since it can only be created when the paper was manufactured. (see reply 5)

the original idea of including an embedded digital information in electronic document (this includes documents, images, etc) was to enable privacy, copyright and ownership information to be included into the document. it was then known as a digital signature.

only later when this idea was applied to digital images did the term digital watermark started being used, and basically it can be used interchangeably with digital signature.

actually its a bit of both...digitally embedded and can see.....