Thread: Split focusing screen

Default Split focusing screen

Hi,

Any recommendations on where to get a usable split focusing screen locally for D7000 on budget? I've heard a lot of good reviews about the Katzeye one, and the focusing screen.com one, but both $100+, not including shipping and taxes.

Has anyone tried the Transcent one from Dinodirect.com? (Transcend Split Image Screens for Nikon D80 D90 D7000 D200 D300 S5 , Singapore - DinoDirect.com) Slightly cheaper ($54++), but the lack of reviews etc is worrying.

Also heard that Orient Photo at SimLim sells them, but I went to their website and theres no info about compatible brands/ brand of the item/ etc. Anyone got theirs from here?

Lastly, heard there can be back/front-focus problems with the split focus screen not being calibrated properly and you have to order a new shim from nikon to solve the problem. 1) Is this common? 2) Can this be fixed by the Auto-focus fine-tuning function in the setup menu, or will this only help with AF and be useless when MF-ing with the screen (and render the screen useless, basically)

Just dabbling in MF lenses on DSLR body (so much easier on MF SLRs), and this seems to be a troublesome and expensive problem!

Thanks in advance for advice.

Default Re: Split focusing screen

orient photo stocks split focus screens for the D7000, just give them a call and double check they they actually have them in the store. as for the calibration, i had to calibrate the d200,700 and 7000 when i changed the screens, and thats even when using those made by canon and nikon. you don't nees to buy new shims though, and can use aluminium foil to wrap around the existing shims to make up the difference. if you buy from focusingscreens.com they come with plastic shims and that makes thigns alot easier.

Quote Originally Posted by aprilmoon92 View Post
    Hi,

Any recommendations on where to get a usable split focusing screen locally for D7000 on budget? I've heard a lot of good reviews about the Katzeye one, and the focusing screen.com one, but both $100+, not including shipping and taxes.

Has anyone tried the Transcent one from Dinodirect.com? (Transcend Split Image Screens for Nikon D80 D90 D7000 D200 D300 S5 , Singapore - DinoDirect.com) Slightly cheaper ($54++), but the lack of reviews etc is worrying.

Also heard that Orient Photo at SimLim sells them, but I went to their website and theres no info about compatible brands/ brand of the item/ etc. Anyone got theirs from here?

Lastly, heard there can be back/front-focus problems with the split focus screen not being calibrated properly and you have to order a new shim from nikon to solve the problem. 1) Is this common? 2) Can this be fixed by the Auto-focus fine-tuning function in the setup menu, or will this only help with AF and be useless when MF-ing with the screen (and render the screen useless, basically)

Just dabbling in MF lenses on DSLR body (so much easier on MF SLRs), and this seems to be a troublesome and expensive problem!

Thanks in advance for advice.
    F3, FTN, D700, just primes =)
    http://littleredcake.smugmug.com/

Default Re: Split focusing screen

"you don't nees to buy new shims though, and can use aluminium foil to wrap around the existing shims to make up the difference."

you just wrap the tiny thing in foil? wah got balls sia bro. i would be so scared of the foil scratching the screen or the other glass inside.

but thanks for the info, will give them a call