Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Night shot during Kite Festival Marina Promontory

Quote Originally Posted by daredevil123
    Sharing a shot from 2 years ago when I shot at the same location.
    Stunning..thanks for sharing guys..guess the photographer can only do so much..the rest of the is up to the mercy of the weather....

Default Re: Night shot during Kite Festival Marina Promontory

Quote Originally Posted by daredevil123 View Post
    Thanks for your example. Although your exposure is better, your composition is actually a lot worst off than TS.
    I know the composition is bad but I'm showing a example of the blue hour and exposure.
    Thanks for your critique.

Sharing a shot from 2 years ago when I shot at the same location.

This image composition looks good and nice wide angle you have.
    But with no offence, it's kinda under-expose a little bit.. Then left side of the image a bit dark on it and not showing much details on it..
    Maybe you can try to increase your exposure a little through histogram in photoshop.
    Last edited by Jiannn L; 21st November 2012 at 08:37 PM.
    ...Are you one of the Dark Side?...

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jiannn L View Post
    I know the composition is bad but I'm showing a example of the blue hour and exposure.
    Thanks for your critique.

But with no offence, it's kinda under-expose a little bit.. Then left side of the image a bit dark on it and not showing much details on it..
    Maybe you can try to increase your exposure a little through histogram in photoshop. [/FONT][/CENTER]

It is left like that for a purpose. Too bad you did not see why it is left like that.

It is left like that for a purpose. Too bad you did not see why it is left like that.
    Well.. That's pretty obvious why i did not see why it is left like that for the purpose. Because i don't see the purpose in the picture.
    Allow me to copy your photo and do a 'Before & After result' regarding your exposure issue?
    Last edited by Jiannn L; 23rd November 2012 at 01:49 AM.

Blog Entries

Well.. That's pretty obvious why i did not see why it is left like that for the purpose. Because i don't see the purpose in the picture.
    Allow me to copy your photo and do a 'Before & After result' regarding your exposure issue?
    Well that is just too bad. Maybe if you progress more in shooting landscapes, one day you will understand.

There is no need to do a before and after. I think I am more than proficient in PP to do it than you if I wanted to show what you wanted to show.

Well that is just too bad. Maybe if you progress more in shooting landscapes, one day you will understand.

There is no need to do a before and after. I think I am more than proficient in PP to do it than you if I wanted to show what you wanted to show.
    Different person think differently and I don't shoot landscapes.
    Well, just to ask.. Do you look at your in-cam histogram while shooting landscapes?

Maybe you can try to increase your exposure a little through histogram in photoshop. [/FONT][/CENTER]
    Hmm there's a difference in slight underexposure and underexposure to the point where the details are lost in the shadows. On my monitor DD123's photo's left side is slightly underexposed but details still can be seen. In TS's photo some parts of the MBS towers seemed to blend into the dark sky such that you can't make out it's outline.

Not sure if you want to check the calibration of your monitor, cos it may be slightly dark such that you can't see the details on DD123's photo, and your photo looks a bit overexposed...

Anyway think TS got his comments, if you want more comments you might want to post your photo for critique or start a new thread for discussion so more people can see

Blog Entries

Different person think differently and I don't shoot landscapes.
    Well, just to ask.. Do you look at your in-cam histogram while shooting landscapes?
    No wonder. Not a landscape shooter.

What do you think? Do you think I am the type that look or don't look at the histograms when shooting landscapes?
    And which histograms? There are normal histogram, and RGB histogram.

And you can see more of my pictures here to help you make up your mind: http://darthbertz.500px.com/
    Last edited by daredevil123; 23rd November 2012 at 06:34 PM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by thoongeng View Post
    Hmm there's a difference in slight underexposure and underexposure to the point where the details are lost in the shadows. On my monitor DD123's photo's left side is slightly underexposed but details still can be seen. In TS's photo some parts of the MBS towers seemed to blend into the dark sky such that you can't make out it's outline.

Not sure if you want to check the calibration of your monitor, cos it may be slightly dark such that you can't see the details on DD123's photo, and your photo looks a bit overexposed...

Anyway think TS got his comments, if you want more comments you might want to post your photo for critique or start a new thread for discussion so more people can see
    Good point brought out by thoongeng. Screen calibration is key. So Jiannn L, is your screen calibrated? If not, what you see on your screen is not accurate.

No wonder. Not a landscape shooter.

What do you think? Do you think I am the type that look or don't look at the histograms when shooting landscapes?
    And which histograms? There are normal histogram, and RGB histogram.

And you can see more of my pictures here to help you make up your mind: Bert Lim
    I'm saying Normal Histogram
    You can go and check out that particular photo and ask yourself why am I saying histogram.
    By seeing your pictures in your website only makes me think of 1 word.. Which is boring. Sorry to say that

Good point brought out by thoongeng. Screen calibration is key. So Jiannn L, is your screen calibrated? If not, what you see on your screen is not accurate.
    My screen is calibrated well enough and I'm pretty sure is more than accurate enough.
    Well, i know the left side is slightly underexpose and details can be seen. But it's kinda slightly underexpose until there aren't much details, please kindly go and try it yourself by increasing your exposure in histogram then you will understand. Thank you
    Last edited by Jiannn L; 24th November 2012 at 01:05 AM.

You can go and check out that particular photo and ask yourself why am I saying histogram.
    By seeing your pictures in your website only makes me think of 1 word.. Which is boring. Sorry to say that

My screen is calibrated well enough and I'm pretty sure is more than accurate enough.
    Well, i know the left side is slightly underexpose and details can be seen. But it's kinda slightly underexpose until there aren't much details, please kindly go and try it yourself by increasing your exposure in histogram then you will understand. Thank you
    "Different person think differently"... Since the viewpoints are so divergent no point continuing the discussion heh...

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by thoongeng View Post
    "Different person think differently"... Since the viewpoints are so divergent no point continuing the discussion heh...
    True. There is no point actually. Jiannn sounds so much like an expert in photography. I shall leave it at that. LOL.

And I do read histogram. But I only read RGB histogram. Because I watch out for clippings at each color channel. So I guess I am not doing it right because I am no expert and my pictures are boring when compared to his. LOL.
    Last edited by daredevil123; 24th November 2012 at 03:14 AM.

Yes, "Different person think differently"...
    and most photographers think they can shoot better than others,

I do shoot some landscape and cityscape, but I'm no expert in this area too,
    I find my photos are also boring, but it is good enough to make some dough for me, I very contented already, dare not to go around telling people what to do...

let's move on and pass the thread back to TS..
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

Well! I think if you want to make such a generalised, sweeping remark over someone's photos, you should have the goods to back it up. After looking through your galleries...well, all I can say is that it's better for the rest to judge. Better not make any conclusions before it makes me look like a buffoon too.

And if you really need to know why Daredevil left the bottom left hand part of his photo dark, it is because he may want to achieve a natural feel to it. Of course you may increase the exposure in that area, but it may result in banding. And what details do you want to bring out in the underexposed part? It's not like there's anything there that will contribute to the composition. Not everything needs to have a mountain-type histogram. Oh, and I'm viewing his shot on a Spyder-calibrated screen. Are you?

Oh, and just for discussion's sake, I shot the same angle too, just like many have done before me:

Blu Duo by Scintt, on Flickr

Do note that the reflection is PP-ed though. I did it to achieve the symmetry I want, since the water was choppy that day. It's fine if you or other people hate the effect and the processing, 'cus the very kind folks at Getty seemed to liked it. Of course, you may not use my photo for your 'befores and afters'. You may, however, purchase a limited-time-use license for this image from Getty, which would really make me very happy.

Anyway, to TS: I would personally prefer more of the MBS to be in the photo, and the exposure could use some work. Otherwise, I think it is an okay attempt. Do try to shoot in the blue hour, that way, at least you have some details in the sky. Cheers!
    Last edited by Scintillation; 24th November 2012 at 08:50 AM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jiannn L

Photography is an art in a sense each will have their own interpretation. To say all of dd123's works is boring, makes me curious about yours. Was trying to find your landscapes to see.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Scintillation View Post
    Well! I think if you want to make such a generalised, sweeping remark over someone's photos, you should have the goods to back it up. After looking through your galleries...well, all I can say is that it's better for the rest to judge. Better not make any conclusions before it makes me look like a buffoon too.

And if you really need to know why Daredevil left the bottom left hand part of his photo dark, it is because he may want to achieve a natural feel to it. Of course you may increase the exposure in that area, but it may result in banding. And what details do you want to bring out in the underexposed part? It's not like there's anything there that will contribute to the composition. Not everything needs to have a mountain-type histogram. Oh, and I'm viewing his shot on a Spyder-calibrated screen. Are you?

Quote Originally Posted by nitewalk View Post
    Photography is an art in a sense each will have their own interpretation. To say all of dd123's works is boring, makes me curious about yours. Was trying to find your landscapes to see.
    Bingo. The sun is way off on the right side. outside of the right side of the picture. Anyone who has shot at this angle at sunrise will know this. This is how the light was at the scene. I can make everything bright, I can use HDR, I can use digital GND to boost the left side, to equalize the exposure. But why? so I can fulfill some morbid requirement of having everything bright and shadowless? Sorry, that is not me.

But then again, everyone has the right to their own opinions. If he find them boring, he finds them boring. Different people gets excited by different things. I am perfectly ok with his artistic taste. Maybe the only things he find not boring are pictures of crowds in overcrowded events, men in shorts playing rugby and men driving small racers. Hey, it is his choice.

And remember, he is not a landscape shooter and he sucks at landscape composition by his own admission. That is something he said so himself. Different people enjoy different genres anyway. Fine by me too.

I think all these seemingly OT stuff is actually useful to TS. He can see first hand how varied opinions can be about the same subjects. This is a good exercise for readers of this thread to understand what is critique and how to learn from and use critiques effectively. i.e. absorb what you think is useful to you, and discard what you find not useful. And at the same time get feedback from different spectrum of viewers from different directions. It will help to make more mature photographers, and audiences out of each one of us.
    Last edited by daredevil123; 24th November 2012 at 11:02 AM.

I have not calibrated my MacBook yet but from what I can see, DD was preventing the museum and the lit sky on the right from clipping. I'm always amazed by people who insisted on showing every single tone in the photo, they start to lose focus on what really counts. Degrading a critique into "your photos are boring" debacle is just plain juvenile.

Hey hey all of u stop spamming on my lousy post with arguments..my post only for commenting n feedbacks of my critique..if ull got nothing good to contribute go start a flame war on a new post

interesting replies by the gurus here... looks like I'm hoping to make boring photos too since their works I follow hee

Quote Originally Posted by Scintillation View Post

Oh, and just for discussion's sake, I shot the same angle too, just like many have done before me:

Do note that the reflection is PP-ed though. I did it to achieve the symmetry I want, since the water was choppy that day. It's fine if you or other people hate the effect and the processing, 'cus the very kind folks at Getty seemed to liked it. Of course, you may not use my photo for your 'befores and afters'. You may, however, purchase a limited-time-use license for this image from Getty, which would really make me very happy.

Anyway, to TS: I would personally prefer more of the MBS to be in the photo, and the exposure could use some work. Otherwise, I think it is an okay attempt. Do try to shoot in the blue hour, that way, at least you have some details in the sky. Cheers!
    Thanks Scintillation for sharing the link to your Getty gallery, didn't know that a 280x158px image can sell for $15... interesting

Ok sorry TS, promise my last post here!

Quote Originally Posted by eggie87 View Post
    Hey hey all of u stop spamming on my lousy post with arguments..my post only for commenting n feedbacks of my critique..if ull got nothing good to contribute go start a flame war on a new post
    Chill bro, let's get back to the topic. I am also learning and progressing thru the ladder.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast