Thread: Charge new batttery at least 8hrs or overnight

Default Charge new batttery at least 8hrs or overnight

Whenever I buy a camera or a mobile phone, the vendor would almost always ask me to do that.

Is there any basis for it?

According to which "theorem" ?
    Do not be afraid [of ghost and bullies] Shoot them......

Used to be the recommendation for ni-mh batteries, with li-on, not necessary.

Check out batteryuniversity.com for the technical background

That's why they r still sales man after all these years.......things changed....technology changed.....but the myth still remains.....lol...

Default Re: Charge new batttery at least 8hrs or overnight

the previous 2 answers are right. It's a holdover from the nickel battery days. Read you equipment manual. Those that I have (for cameras, phones, etc) have never mentioned the 8-hour / overnight charge. With the intelligent batteries and chargers necessary for Lithium based batteries, you'll see that charging stops once the full-charge is detected anyway - that doesn't take anywhere near 8 hours.

As an ex-techie, I hear lots of howlers from salespeople (normally spoken with a degree of unjustified authority and experience too!). It lets me know which ones I should not trust

Quote Originally Posted by Big Kahuna
    That's why they r still sales man after all these years.......things changed....technology changed.....but the myth still remains.....lol...
    Lol...still remember getting my Motorola startac, faithfully charged for 8-10 hours before using.