Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Buying something out of my league! :)

Default Re: Buying something out of my league! :)

You can try these simple tips 1st:

1.Switch your auto focus mode to AF-C for moving subject.
    2. Check your posture a when holding your camera. Must be stable. 1 hand hold is strictly no no. Your set up shouldnt feel heavy if you hold it properly.
    3. Half-press your shutter release button, then click it down gently. (like firing a rifle). Never punch down the button - a common mistake by newbie.
    4. If it too dark, try using the flash.

If these fail, post a sample picture so that we can trouble shoot. You have good gears, which give u a gd start. just need some basic understanding to get going. No fear. Take it 1 step at a time.

Do you realize that you have the king of dx body and the king of dx lens?

Weight asides, the 17-55mm lens is one of the best DX glasses around based on IQ, build, focal length, AF speed etc. Probably u need to know how to focus, how to to track, use a faster shutter speed and i guess you should be fine. Unless you have other photographic needs that are not made known to us, I find your friends' comment about the lens not suitable may not be true.
    D200

Don't sell it. You'll waste money. You should learn how to work with what you have now. You will love your gear once you get used to it.
    My Flickr
    ~Neko baka

Wah!! D300S with 17-55mm f2.8 leh!!

Clearly, the user is the problem...

When buying, not heavy. After buying, heavy...

Quote Originally Posted by v0857 View Post
    Try S mode and start with a reasonably fast speed. Pop the flash if lighting is poor.
    Dunno for D300S, but if I use the pop up flash on my D7000 with 17-55mm (with hood) mounted on, you will see a semi circle shadow at the bottom of the picture.

Best to pick up some skill, u have a decent camera and lens combo!!

btw, if u r selling it, i would love to have the lens!!

It's a good setup.

Raise the ISO, and park your lens on monopod to stabilize.

If no monopod, buy camera grip. If don't have camera grip, bind the camera strap tightly to your hand. it will help stabilize.

Yeah change the settings to 3D tracking, and shoot in burst mode.
    A true photograph need not be explained, nor can it be contained in words.
    ~Ansel Adams

Quote Originally Posted by chillicutter View Post
    Dunno for D300S, but if I use the pop up flash on my D7000 with 17-55mm (with hood) mounted on, you will see a semi circle shadow at the bottom of the picture.
    Maybe your lens hood is blocking the flash partially?

Quote Originally Posted by Chillibomber View Post
    Maybe your lens hood is blocking the flash partially?
    Yup. But D300S is taller then D7000 so I am not sure will it be affected or not.

Join some of the outings here to get some tips on how to use your gear!!
    My Flickr
    ~Neko baka

Originally Posted by v0857
    "Try S mode and start with a reasonably fast speed. Pop the flash if lighting is poor."
    good that you brought up this point so TS would know it if he encounters it. He can then decide whether to lose the hood or hot-shoe a flash.

Btw iceman77, let us know, if you will, whether the various tips/advise/suggestions had helped
    Last edited by v0857; 19th September 2012 at 08:22 PM.
    Canon | Oly | Fuji

This type of situations you need the D4 which is the current best cam for fast action sports. Buy 2, pair one with 24-70 lens and the other with 70-200. Also get 4 sets of Profoto lights if you are shooting indoors or 8 sets if you are shooting outdoors, and rig up the place you are shooting, so that you can shoot at f/32.

If pictures still not sharp after that, let me know again I recommend you what else to buy.

Quote Originally Posted by iceman77 View Post
    Hi guys

I bought a D300S some time ago, and instead of using the kit lens, i bought a Nikkor AF-S 17-55mm f2.8 DX lens. Yes, impulse buy! hahaha

However, i find it:

• a tad too heavy (i mean the lens), resulting in me not using the camera much
    • most of the pictures i take are of moving and impromptu shots (of my nephews)

It might be my lousy photography skills (i always use "P" mode), but a couple of my friends say i am using a lens which is not suitable for my preferred types of shots. My photos always end up fuzzy and out-of-focus. My wife even said i suck big-time, and ask me to take using point-and-shoot cameras instead. I have to agree with her.

So, advise from you folks:

1) Should i just sell the camera and lenses?
    OR
    2) Change the lens to something more suitable for my type of shots? Weight is a huge factor, since i am always running after my nephews.

Appreciate your advise, before i do something stupid yet again (like buying another one on impulse).

Thanks all!

Quote Originally Posted by JasonB View Post
    This type of situations you need the D4 which is the current best cam for fast action sports. Buy 2, pair one with 24-70 lens and the other with 70-200. Also get 4 sets of Profoto lights if you are shooting indoors or 8 sets if you are shooting outdoors, and rig up the place you are shooting, so that you can shoot at f/32.

If pictures still not sharp after that, let me know again I recommend you what else to buy.
    Lol. I like your humour. Like building a sports stadium

Yup. But D300S is taller then D7000 so I am not sure will it be affected or not.
    Yes it will.
    Inferiority Complex Behavior Signature: A900.D3x.M9..I have this and that blah blah...

Well if you are using P mode and getting a fuzzy picture go check you ISO value. Might be to low
    The Negative is the equivalent of the composer's score, and the print the performance - Ansel Adams

Blog Entries

Here's the funny irony of it all..... alot of very experienced photogs try to 'dumb down' on the functions of a camera to work quickly while alot of newcomers to photography step up to equipment beyond their level of ability
    shaddap and just shoot .... up close
    Walkeast

Quote Originally Posted by ed9119
    Here's the funny irony of it all..... alot of very experienced photogs try to 'dumb down' on the functions of a camera to work quickly while alot of newcomers to photography step up to equipment beyond their level of ability
    The difference between beginners and experienced users.

One buys too much expensive gear thinking it will help them get awesome shots... And in the end gets overwhelmed and pressured...

While the other buys what they need for the job and does only what is required for the situation.

Quote Originally Posted by kei1309

The difference between beginners and experienced users.

One buys too much expensive gear thinking it will help them get awesome shots... And in the end gets overwhelmed and pressured...

While the other buys what they need for the job and does only what is required for the situation.
    Then the clients mistakes the beginners for pros and hires them for professional quality work. Then snubs photographers for badly delivered work.
    Last edited by Aikiway; 24th September 2012 at 02:56 PM.
    ==================================================
    Canon 5DMK3 |Fujifilm X-E2, X-T1|

Quote Originally Posted by Aikiway View Post
    Then the clients mistakes the beginners for pros and hires them for professional quality work. Then snubs photographers for badly delivered work.
    Client fault usually.

Hire pro or hire twice.
    WTB Manfrotto RC4 L Bracket

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast