Thread: Filter stacking on 24mm 1.4G

Default Filter stacking on 24mm 1.4G

I'm planing to buy a B+W 10 stop filter (77mm) in BNS but find it hard to get one, my second option is to get a 9 stop Kenko ND 400 (77mm) and stack it with my Kenko Pro 1D CPL (77mm). If I can't find a 10 stop filter, here are my questions to those who have experienced this:

1. Will stacking 2 filters, 9 stop Kenko ND400 and a Kenko Pro1D CPL on a 24mm 1.4G cause vignetting?
    2. Will the result of stacking those 2 filters be close to using a B+W 10 stop filter? Any significant difference?
    3. If stacking the 2 filters is ok, does it matter which one (CPL or 9 stop filter) to attach first to the lens? and will the metering method be the same as how to meter as if using a 10 stop filter?

Thank you
    D700 * 35mm 1.4G* SB600

Default Re: Filter stacking on 24mm 1.4G

alternative:

invest in Lee Filter System.

get a Big Stopper and if you want to, CPL filter.
    You'll Never Walk Alone! - i have the best job in the world!

I'm pretty sure stacking two filters on the 24mm will cause vignetting on a FF camera

You will most probably get weird color casts from the kenko as well

Blog Entries

If you die die need 10 stops, then buy a 10 stop... why buy a 9 stop and stack on CPL to get 10 stops??

You can always buy the ND110 new... new pricing is not that far off from BNS pricing anyway.

On a side note, 9 stop and 10 stop not much difference if the main purpose is to take landscape water type shots. Unless its a really bright day.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by DemonicAngelz View Post
    On a side note, 9 stop and 10 stop not much difference if the main purpose is to take landscape water type shots. Unless its a really bright day.
    I think it is the reverse.. if it is a really bright day the difference between a 9 stop and 10 stop is a lot less... eg. 15s exposure vs 30s exposure..

if it is not very bright, it makes a very very big difference... e.g. 10min exposure vs 20min exposure.

Quote Originally Posted by dofnikon View Post
    I'm planing to buy a B+W 10 stop filter (77mm) in BNS but find it hard to get one, my second option is to get a 9 stop Kenko ND 400 (77mm) and stack it with my Kenko Pro 1D CPL (77mm). If I can't find a 10 stop filter, here are my questions to those who have experienced this:

1. Will stacking 2 filters, 9 stop Kenko ND400 and a Kenko Pro1D CPL on a 24mm 1.4G cause vignetting?
    2. Will the result of stacking those 2 filters be close to using a B+W 10 stop filter? Any significant difference?
    3. If stacking the 2 filters is ok, does it matter which one (CPL or 9 stop filter) to attach first to the lens? and will the metering method be the same as how to meter as if using a 10 stop filter?

Thank you
    Yes it will cause vignetting. How much depends on the filter thickness

Quote Originally Posted by daredevil123 View Post
    I think it is the reverse.. if it is a really bright day the difference between a 9 stop and 10 stop is a lot less... eg. 15s exposure vs 30s exposure..

if it is not very bright, it makes a very very big difference... e.g. 10min exposure vs 20min exposure.
    Hm. I think you may be right.
    But I still don't think theres a very significant difference between 9 and 10 stops. Of course if got the $ go buy the 10stop.

For long exposure, one stop can be a lot of different in term the length of shutter speed, and you need good quality glass especially. Else shots are not usable after spending all the efforts.
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

Mine vignette even with a b+W slim cpl. Best is invest in lee system.

Thanks for the reply guys! Guess its best to get the 10 sops rather than stack with my cpl. The square filter is another option but Im more inclined to the screw type for now.
    D700 * 35mm 1.4G* SB600

Quote Originally Posted by daredevil123
    If you die die need 10 stops, then buy a 10 stop... why buy a 9 stop and stack on CPL to get 10 stops??

You can always buy the ND110 new... new pricing is not that far off from BNS pricing anyway.
    Hi! I saw a b+w nd110 single coat filter at tk and its $145 with gst if i remember it right. Is there a significant difference in terms of pic quality vs the multi-coated one? Might as well buy a new nd110 instead of stacking filters to avoid vignetting. Thanks!
    D700 * 35mm 1.4G* SB600

Quote Originally Posted by davidlam001
    Mine vignette even with a b+W slim cpl. Best is invest in lee system.
    How about using b+w nd110, do you also get vignette? Or just when using the cpl?
    D700 * 35mm 1.4G* SB600

Quote Originally Posted by DemonicAngelz
    You will most probably get weird color casts from the kenko as well
    if I shoot raw, the color cast can be corrected during post right or would it be difficult to correct?
    D700 * 35mm 1.4G* SB600

Quote Originally Posted by dofnikon View Post
    if I shoot raw, the color cast can be corrected during post right or would it be difficult to correct?
    In theory yes but I have yet to test out 2 stacked kenko filters so I cant say anything about whether its easy or not.