Thread: Printing 4R photos with white border added using Photoshop

Default Printing 4R photos with white border added using Photoshop

Hi Guys,

I know that there are quite a number of threads related to this topic. I added a mini border (probably 2mm) around my photos and save them as JPEG for printing. I normally just go to instant Kodak printing machines to print my photos. The result is white border at both lengths but not the widths.

My aspect ratio is 3:2 as many people mentioned that it is the correct one for 4R prints.

I have some questions.

(1)If i manually convert my photo (including white border) to the specified 4R size using photoshop, will i see my white border in the printed photo? If yes, can anyone enlighten me on the exact steps to do it?

(2)If the problem lies with the instant machine/vendors doing their own cropping, will i be able to achieve the white border if i buy a photo machine and do my own printing? Will this solve the problem?

Sorry that i am repeating this topic again. Just need to decide if its better to buy a photo printer. Thanks guys!

Swagger

Short answer is better to ask them to add white border for you, cos you need run tests till you get it right. Unless you have your own printing machine, you can test till your heart content.
    There is also other issue you need to address id you want to make your own borders.
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

Default Re: Printing 4R photos with white border added using Photoshop

to make your own white border is very simple.

1, downsize your image file to 1800x1200.
    2, hit ctrl A to select all,
    3, from top pull down menu, select edit/stroke, wide is "2mm", color is "255,255,255", location is "inside", blending is "normal", opacity is "100%" than hit OK
    4, hit ctrl D to de-selct all,
    5, viola!

you can record an action to run a batch processing if you have many files to add borders.

for this method, partial of your images will be cover up by the 2mm borders, to show as much image as you can with the borders, you will need to do extra steps plus some calculation.

anyway, as I mention before, you add a 2 mm borders, the print out from the labs probably won't give you 2mm borders, some part have some part don't have, some part thin some part thick, and the borders may be crooked. the only way is to give a very thick borders like 7mm or more, so you won't notice if the borders is crooked or not balance.

and also, you have to ask the lab not to do any color and density adjustment for your prints, else you will have all shades of colors for your borders.

hope this help.
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio