Thread: 14 days in Nebraska

Default 14 days in Nebraska

I would be travelling to the States in November and would definitely appreciate tips from fellow photographers such as gear maintenance, recommended gears to bring around, and of course camera shops in the area for some deals..

The current gears I have are:
    Canon 60D
    Sigma 17-50mm F2.8
    Canon 55-250mm F4-5.6
    Canon Speedlite 430 EX II
    Nissin Di 866 II

Would be staying in the town of Nebraska and headed to several places like Mt Rushmore and also some camping trips. Any other locations to suggest also?? Really appreciate the help ^^
    Sigma 2470 & 70200 f2.8 | EM1 | Oly 1240 f2.8 | EM5 | Oly 1250 | Pana 45150 | Ricoh GRD IV

Default Re: 14 days in Nebraska

Quote Originally Posted by Windballad View Post
    I would be travelling to the States in November and would definitely appreciate tips from fellow photographers such as gear maintenance, recommended gears to bring around, and of course camera shops in the area for some deals..

The current gears I have are:
    Canon 60D
    Sigma 17-50mm F2.8
    Canon 55-250mm F4-5.6
    Canon Speedlite 430 EX II
    Nissin Di 866 II

Would be staying in the town of Nebraska and headed to several places like Mt Rushmore and also some camping trips. Any other locations to suggest also?? Really appreciate the help ^^
    are you referring to Nebraska state?
    I think you're asking too general question on where (location) to cover..
    there are few things you might want to consider.
    - if you're travelling north of I-80 highway, watch out for the weather - fog & snow.
    if you're driving, might not be able to see clearly if never drive in heavy fog or snow environment.
    - plan the maximum number of hours you can travel away from your original location. (i.e. are you going to drive at 70 mph on a snow ground? with 6 hours of driving, only reaching radius of about 300 miles.)
    what are the cities, tourist attraction within that 300 miles? (unless flying to other cities)
    - use trip planner available on the web! States is pretty much covered by any available trip planner on the web.

for photography
    - get a Canon 10-22mm or Sigma 8-16mm to cover wider area of landscape.
    - tripod.

Well.. To be exact I would be at Norfolk.. The furthest I'll be headed is about 1 day drive at most.. How would the weather be like there at November and if it is recommended to bring a dry box there?
    Another question is that would it be necessary to get/rent a 70-200 for a trip like this?
    Sigma 2470 & 70200 f2.8 | EM1 | Oly 1240 f2.8 | EM5 | Oly 1250 | Pana 45150 | Ricoh GRD IV

Quote Originally Posted by Windballad View Post
    Well.. To be exact I would be at Norfolk.. The furthest I'll be headed is about 1 day drive at most.. How would the weather be like there at November and if it is recommended to bring a dry box there?
    Another question is that would it be necessary to get/rent a 70-200 for a trip like this?
    dry box? you are kidding! who bring a dry box in long distance trip?
    the weather are quite dry in the cold weather, please check the net for historical humidity.

well, the internet is information rich. Do some research one week before departure!
    The weather forecast is quite accurate, look for all the point of your travelling route to ensure it's clear of snow and fog.
    usually, there might be snow around November in that area. get travel insurance (i.e. AAA) to cover your vehicle and yourself locally.
    travel/route planner will save you plenty of effort.

Try not to plan too many hours of driving. just focus in one small area. along the way, drop by some scenic attraction/town or metropolitan. otherwise, you'll run out of energy at the last few days of trip due to heavy driving.

you're carrying a 55-250mm! why get extra weight of 70-200? get a big aperture lens like F1.4 that helps a lot in night time. additional 24mm or 35mm prime for your crop body will be good? all depends on your shooting style.
    Last edited by pinapple1; 24th September 2012 at 03:07 PM.

Haha well.. I want referring to the cabinet if there was a misunderstanding..

Anyway I definitely do plan on bringing my 50mm prime for the trip.. As for 70-200 if I do get it I'd definitely do away with the 55-250mm..

Thanks for the advise though!

Nebraska.. think Landscapes, farmscapes and more landscapes.