Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: D3200 against A57

Default D3200 against A57

To all the ppl:

Sorry for my noob post, I have yet to decide on a camera from my previous thread. I spent some time reading through the threads here and found that many people recommended the sony a57.

As mentioned many times, megapixels do not make a difference, so the D3200 should not make such a big diff. DXOmark recommends the D3200 for the excellent sensor. Just wanted to ask, as both are at comparable prices, will the sony be better? Really difficult to make a decision. Maybe planning to buy around october or november.

Another question:
    The d3200 has kit 1(18-55), kit 2(18-105) and another bundle (18-55 + 55-200).
    I feel that kit 1 cannot reach far, so considering between kit 2 and the bundle kit. Some reviews say 55-200 vr has lousy iq, but the bundle is slightly cheaper than kit2. Experts please help me?

Sorry if I sound desperate.

Default Re: D3200 against A57

Not an expert, but just my 2 cents..

1st..I would like to point you to this thread (if you haven't read it) http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/newbi...amera-buy.html

2nd, Although technical specs of the camera is important, but other aspects like Ergonomics also plays a large part too. This includes from the Size of the camera to the placements of buttons and also the user friendliness of the menus. Go to the shops and try it out yourself and you will roughly know which camera you like better.

On the 55-200, IQ is bad, how bad is bad? Other than from what reviews commented, Can your eyes tell the difference between a bad IQ image and good IQ image? If yes, how much more are you willing to pay for a better IQ lens?

Again, IMO, 18-105 is a pretty good lens for a start. Pretty good focal length and you don't have to keep changing lens as compared to the other option... And also, from my observation, usually 55mm is not long enough for starters...
    Too many great equipments but too little quality photos. [My Flickr] | [My Blog]

The a57 uses the excellent 16mp sony sensor also used in the d7000. The d3200 uses the sony 24mp sensor used in the sony a65, and high ISO will not be as good as the 16mp sensor.

Do note that aside from that, there are huuuuuuge differences in the features between these 2, from ovf vs evf to the fps, autofocus in live view and video, built-in image stabilizer vs buying vr lenses, and most importantly the ergonomics. Do more digging, make sure you get the right camera for you.
    Alpha

I understand, because the a57 is more ex by ard $200, so I am not sure if the extra features are worth it. 10FPS is very attractive compared to nikon's 4, so I am stuck between these choices, unless D5200 comes out next month for <$1100. Not possible I think... =(

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by shaze View Post
    Another question:
    The d3200 has kit 1(18-55), kit 2(18-105) and another bundle (18-55 + 55-200).
    I feel that kit 1 cannot reach far, so considering between kit 2 and the bundle kit. Some reviews say 55-200 vr has lousy iq, but the bundle is slightly cheaper than kit2. Experts please help me?

Sorry if I sound desperate.
    55-200vr has pretty good IQ actually... And for its price it is a lens that gives you a lot of bang for the buck.

Pictures shot with the 55-200vr

I understand, because the a57 is more ex by ard $200, so I am not sure if the extra features are worth it. 10FPS is very attractive compared to nikon's 4, so I am stuck between these choices, unless D5200 comes out next month for <$1100. Not possible I think... =(
    Antishake with all lenses, fast AF in live view, AF while shooting video, etc are not worth $200? Hmmmm
    Alpha

Quote Originally Posted by shaze
    10FPS is very attractive compared to nikon's 4
    just so you are aware, it can do 10 fps until the buffer gets filled.
    KF Photography
    Thanks for viewing!

Quote Originally Posted by shaze
    Even if it can do 10fps, need to see if the af tracking is good enough to handle

Quote Originally Posted by trd2970 View Post
    Even if it can do 10fps, need to see if the af tracking is good enough to handle
    Yeah it is. But also depends on what you want to track. But definitely better tracking than D3200. :P

(Even A55, the older model, could track F1 cars)
    Alpha

Quote Originally Posted by Rashkae

Yeah it is. But also depends on what you want to track. But definitely better tracking than D3200. :P

(Even A55, the older model, could track F1 cars)
    Agree..not saying a77 not good at af tracking, don't get me wrong, hehe

Just a general statement to remind ourselves not to focus too much on fps capability and neglect af tracking performance

Quote Originally Posted by trd2970 View Post
    Agree..not saying a77 not good at af tracking, don't get me wrong, hehe

Just a general statement to remind ourselves not to focus too much on fps capability and neglect af tracking performance
    Oh of course. Though high FPS helps a lot as well in prefocused situations.
    Alpha

I am on a really tight budget, so the price of A57 is the same as D3200 + 18-105mm quoted by a few shops. I probably need the longer lens then 18-55, so if I get the A57, then cannot get longer lens...

Quote Originally Posted by daredevil123 View Post
    55-200vr has pretty good IQ actually... And for its price it is a lens that gives you a lot of bang for the buck.

Read those online reviews, IQ of 55-200 not as good as 18-105. Build quality of 18-105 said to be much better. All the way at maximum focal length, 55-200 got some vignetting or something, cannot remember well.
    So between the choices of
    1) 18-105mm
    2) 18-55 + 55-200mm,

which will you recommend since both prices ard the same?
    EDIT: Price diff around $50.
    Last edited by shaze; 13th September 2012 at 07:59 PM.

Blog Entries

Read those online reviews, IQ of 55-200 not as good as 18-105. Build quality of 18-105 said to be much better. All the way at maximum focal length, 55-200 got some vignetting or something, cannot remember well.
    So between the choices of
    1) 18-105mm
    2) 18-55 + 55-200mm,

which will you recommend since both prices ard the same?
    EDIT: Price diff around $50.
    18-105's IQ is pretty much the same as 18-55 and 50-200. Just that 50-200 gives you longer reach, but at the expense of slightly more inconvenience - you need to change lenses if you want to switch from wide angle to tele.

Built quality among these 3 lenses are all pretty much the same. Their IQ is also very similar. Differences are really negligible. They are all very good performers for their price point.

If you are concerned about image quality or build quality, the next step up will be to get the 16-85VR or 17-55/2.8. And for tele, for image quality and build quality, 70-200/2.8 will be great.

Personally, I would go for 18-55 + 55-200VR. I was on that same combo when I started out.
    Last edited by daredevil123; 13th September 2012 at 08:19 PM.

I am on a really tight budget, so the price of A57 is the same as D3200 + 18-105mm quoted by a few shops. I probably need the longer lens then 18-55, so if I get the A57, then cannot get longer lens...
    You're buying a DSLR. You will be buying more lenses in the future, so worry less about what lens combo to get now, and make sure you also get a body that has the features you will use on your photographic journey.

If you don't plan on buying a new lens, ever, then I think you're missing the point of a DSLR.
    Alpha

Quote Originally Posted by daredevil123 View Post
    18-105's IQ is pretty much the same as 18-55 and 50-200. Just that 50-200 gives you longer reach, but at the expense of slightly more inconvenience - you need to change lenses if you want to switch from wide angle to tele.

Built quality among these 3 lenses are all pretty much the same. Their IQ is also very similar. Differences are really negligible. They are all very good performers for their price point.

If you are concerned about image quality or build quality, the next step up will be to get the 16-85VR or 17-55/2.8. And for tele, for image quality and build quality, 70-200/2.8 will be great.

Personally, I would go for 18-55 + 55-200VR. I was on that same combo when I started out.
    Thanks! Cathay has a option of twin lenses for around $1080, cheaper than if buy kit 1 and then get the 55-200 seperately. Unfortunately, other shops dun seem to have it. Personally, I dun think changing lens will be too much a problem, except maybe miss a few shots if change lens too slowly. But twin lenses means can have fun with the 18-55, which many reviews say if quite good!

Quote Originally Posted by Rashkae View Post
    You're buying a DSLR. You will be buying more lenses in the future, so worry less about what lens combo to get now, and make sure you also get a body that has the features you will use on your photographic journey.

If you don't plan on buying a new lens, ever, then I think you're missing the point of a DSLR.
    Yes, but I thought most people upgrade their bodies and retain their lenses? Both the A57 and D3200 have excellent IQ, so both are good buys. Nikon have a lot more lenses to choose from, from what I see, but should not be a problem if I go with sony in the end.

If I buy a second lens, what will you recommend since 200mm is quite enough telephoto?
    50mm prime lens? Seems to be a popular choice.

Yes, but I thought most people upgrade their bodies and retain their lenses? Both the A57 and D3200 have excellent IQ, so both are good buys. Nikon have a lot more lenses to choose from, from what I see, but should not be a problem if I go with sony in the end.

If I buy a second lens, what will you recommend since 200mm is quite enough telephoto?
    Yeah, a nice 50mm f/1.8 should be nice.

Do remember that the D3200 has no in-body AF motor, so older screw-driven Nikkors will be manual focus only. This is harder in the smaller viewfinder of the D3200.
    Alpha

Start simple. Start light.

Unless you have a pressing need for additional lenses NOW (and I gather you're not sure what you need or want yet), put off these purchase till later. You don't have to cover all the focal lengths from 18-200 to have a good setup.
    And PLEASE do not blow all your money on camera body and lenses. You'll need some for accessories -- things like a dry cabinet, filters, memory cards etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Edwin Francis View Post
    Start simple. Start light.

Unless you have a pressing need for additional lenses NOW (and I gather you're not sure what you need or want yet), put off these purchase till later. You don't have to cover all the focal lengths from 18-200 to have a good setup.
    And PLEASE do not blow all your money on camera body and lenses. You'll need some for accessories -- things like a dry cabinet, filters, memory cards etc.
    Is a dry cabinet neccesary, or just leave it inside a closed drawer will do? I think I have a humidity box from an old camera with a meter at the top, works the same right? Dun think I will need filters, maybe a clear or uv one, but should not be too expensive.

Is a dry cabinet neccesary, or just leave it inside a closed drawer will do? I think I have a humidity box from an old camera with a meter at the top, works the same right? Dun think I will need filters, maybe a clear or uv one, but should not be too expensive.
    Nooooooo you should get a dry cabinet. If you use a dry box, you will need to carefully maintain the silica gel etc. Not worth the risk.
    Alpha

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast