Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Spot Metering On to the Bright Sky Advice?

At iso 200 aperture f1.4 shutter speed must reach at least 1/32000 (i dun think a camera can reach up to that shutter speed) that is why your picture is so overexpose. (Max should only reach up to 1/8000). But if under any circumstances (i cannot think of one) that you still need to shoot at widest with this amount of light you can always use a nd filter (at least 2 stop down) to step down the light.

Default Re: Spot Metering On to the Bright Sky Advice?

hi TS

i assume u want the sky to be mid tone.. u can use aperture priority mode, spot meter the sky and u should get the result. if u want the sky to be brighter, set the exposure bias to +1 ev or +2 ev.. try and error.. with digital it is not hard as u can see what is the result right away.

moreover u must know how big the area on your viewfinder the spot meter covers... the manual tells u and u can try by shifting the camera across a bounary of black and white object and see when the setting change.

Quote Originally Posted by sfoto100 View Post
    hi TS

i assume u want the sky to be mid tone.. u can use aperture priority mode, spot meter the sky and u should get the result. if u want the sky to be brighter, set the exposure bias to +1 ev or +2 ev.. try and error.. with digital it is not hard as u can see what is the result right away.

moreover u must know how big the area on your viewfinder the spot meter covers... the manual tells u and u can try by shifting the camera across a bounary of black and white object and see when the setting change.
    Check your on camera histogram and adjust according, most of our camera can't capture the dynamic range on a bright sunny day.

Quote Originally Posted by tengk View Post
    Check your on camera histogram and adjust according, most of our camera can't capture the dynamic range on a bright sunny day.
    actually if he wants to capture a high DR scene, he must use HDR technique..

but he seems to only interested in exposing for the sky.

i wonder why?

Blog Entries

ND filter is the solution, if aperture needs to stay wide open.

Quote Originally Posted by daredevil123 View Post
    ND filter is the solution, if aperture needs to stay wide open.
    how many stops of ND would you recommmend

Quote Originally Posted by tomboy87 View Post
    Is the IF condition really fulfilled? Why does the sky needs f/1.4? Landscape pictures (and images of the sky usually belong to this category) are mostly taken using f/8 or smaller. What exactly do you want to do?
    EOS

bro its omd right? try to use center metering and point the sky to the center, for that shot and it should work.. if still over expose u might wanna check the SS use for that shot.. if its 4000(which is omd max ss) then you need to use a bigger f number..
    Last edited by moonsymph; 12th September 2012 at 09:51 PM.
    Flickr- moonSymph -

Quote Originally Posted by moonsymph View Post
    bro its omd right? try to use center metering and point the sky to the center, for that shot and it should work.. if still over expose u might wanna check the SS use for that shot.. if its 4000(which is omd max ss) then you need to use a bigger f number..
    Thanks bro! will try.. means I would still have to adjust my Aperture after metering right. Even though my LCD screen showed me the image its properly exposed.

Blog Entries

hi TS can post the ACTUAL image as well ? there will be further clues from the embedded EXIF data

looks like you metered for the darker areas of the HDB flats that caused a slower shutter speed (instead of not fast enough )

consider using AEL (exposure reading lock) when you see what you like on the LCD or histogram to avoid the camera accidentally re-taking an exposur(in the first pic [shutter speed not even shown ] exosed the way you like ..... the 2nd image below was shot at a much LOWER shutter speed to have blown the image like that) e reading at a different part of the scene

curious were you using multiple points AF or a single AF point (because i notice that the LEFT side of the image shot is at least exposed half-correctly )

the issue here is NOT shutter speed NOT fast enough ..... its the OPPOSITE ..... why did they shutter apparently fire at a MUCH SLOWER speed ?

also what mode were you shooting at ? Aperture Priority or Shutter Priority ? or P mode ?

Last edited by ed9119; 12th September 2012 at 10:24 PM.
    shaddap and just shoot .... up close
    Walkeast

Bro using Aperture mode the meter is ur AEV compensation leh.. if you never adjust it will be 0.. you can adjust by turning the outer dial when using A mode (IIRC,as i'm doing this automatically)
    Quote Originally Posted by tomboy87 View Post
    Thanks bro! will try.. means I would still have to adjust my Aperture after metering right. Even though my LCD screen showed me the image its properly exposed.
    Flickr- moonSymph -

Quote Originally Posted by tomboy87

ISO auto,
    aperture is widest at 1.4.

Does that means even after I spot metering and lock the exposure I still need to adjust the aperture/shutter speed if I am shooting at something that is too bright?
    If its bright daylight u can lower to ISO 100-400. and your aperture don't need to be at 1.4 if you don't need to have that kind of depth of field right? If its a landscape image maybe you can try f8 onwards.

You should spot meter on an area that is most median brightness I.e. not the brightest or the darkest spot in the entire frame.
    My Flickr
    ~Neko baka

Quote Originally Posted by tomboy87

From what i see you should be at least -2 stop down for iso 100 which can bring down your shutter speed to 1/4000 so at least you can underexpose a little to bring out the details. If you shooting at iso 200 at least -3 stop. (Are you using auto iso and what is the lowest iso u can go). I am using a variable nd filters for these type of situation which can bring down up to -8 stop (con is cheap filters tends to have a little warm tone but camera wb should be able to fix it).

Quote Originally Posted by moonsymph View Post
    if its the omd, and die die muz use spot metering, there's a "spot hi" setting where it meters the spot as a highlight, instead of a midtone..

Bro i just tested with my OMD, i pointed my OMD on my living room lamp (the lamp is on the center of the frame), using "Spot hi" my photo is overexposed, using "Center" my photo is properly exposed but center is too bright, using "Spot sh" settings the lamp detail can be seen with the rest of the frame underexpose(i think this is what the threadstarter wants?) you can try it with your OMD. =| btw i'm testing on "Aperture" mode.

Quote Originally Posted by kuanwk View Post
    if its the omd, and die die muz use spot metering, there's a "spot hi" setting where it meters the spot as a highlight, instead of a midtone..
    Flickr- moonSymph -

Try ISO 100 1/8000 f/32

Sky should be dark by this setting.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12