Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Spot Metering On to the Bright Sky Advice?

Default Spot Metering On to the Bright Sky Advice?

Dear all,

I use spot metering to point at the bright sky to get my exposure to see the sun as well as the clouds. My LCD screen shows the scene is OK but when I press fully my shutter down , the image turned out to be fully blown. Is it because my aperture is open at largest ? Do I need to adjust the aperture after I press halfway shutter to meter the sky?

Please advice.

Thanks alot

Default Re: Spot Metering On to the Bright Sky Advice?

Quote Originally Posted by tomboy87 View Post
    Dear all,

I use spot metering to point at the bright sky to get my exposure to see the sun as well as the clouds. My LCD screen shows the scene is OK but when I press fully my shutter down , the image turned out to be fully blown. Is it because my aperture is open at largest ? Do I need to adjust the aperture after I press halfway shutter to meter the sky?

Please advice.

Thanks alot
    You may have maxed out your shutter speed. If so, it should be blinking in your viewfinder. What are the settings you used?
    Alpha

Quote Originally Posted by tomboy87
    Dear all,

Please advice.

Thanks alot
    The camera's dynamic range is not wide enough to capture the change in tones of the sun to the clouds hence when you take a picture of it, you can only properly expose either the clouds or the sun.(correct me if I am wrong)

Yes. I mean like duh if the camera meters for you and it's blown out, then it is your duty, as the user to correct the shutter speed/aperture till the image is correctly exposed and to your liking. Best is to shoot on manual mode till you're satisfied with the results. happy shooting.
    There are no bad photographers, only photos that could've been done better
    My Flickr

post a photo, easier to understand your problem.

Blog Entries

Dear all,

Please advice.

Thanks alot

nothing to do with dynamic range ..... you took a SPOT reading of the sky and given your wide aperture (and likely higher ISO) your shutter was not fast enough in combination with the former to reach the exposure value recorded

this only u can tell us .....

what was the aperture and ISO setting ?

like Rashkae said ..... fastest shutter speed likely still not enough due to aperture set at too open (low f-stop number)

either dial down your aperture smaller (bigger f stop number) and/or dial down your ISO .... or use an appropriate ND filter (or CPL ) to bring down the EV to a level that allows shooting wide open at that EV
    Last edited by ed9119; 11th September 2012 at 10:36 PM.
    shaddap and just shoot .... up close
    Walkeast

Thanks guys! I will post some photos soon with the aperture and ISO info. Basically, my issue is when at max aperture I press half shutter to spot meter, the image shown in my Live LCD is properly exposed while when shutter is pressed, the image produced is blown out. In other case, when I press half shutter AND reduce my aperture at the same time, my LCD view image is very dark and underexposed but the image produced after shutter pressed is properly exposed. So I am a bit confused over the difference between the LCD live and the output.

Smile Re: Spot Metering On to the Bright Sky Advice?

Thanks guys! I will post some photos soon with the aperture and ISO info. Basically, my issue is when at max aperture I press half shutter to spot meter, the image shown in my Live LCD is properly exposed while when shutter is pressed, the image produced is blown out. In other case, when I press half shutter AND reduce my aperture at the same time, my LCD view image is very dark and underexposed but the image produced after shutter pressed is properly exposed. So I am a bit confused over the difference between the LCD live and the output.

You've probably pointed the spot meter at an area that's too bright & blown everyting...
    If i were u i wouldn't point the meter at anything that's bright. I used spot
    metering most of the time, be it difficult or easy situations. Because it's the most
    accurate metering & the exposure was always correct.
    Assume that i've a scenario like this: i'm going to take a portrait shooting in bright noon.
    I decided to place my subject back lit by the sun.i switched to spot metering.
    i know that if my spot metering include the background or meter the background, the exposure would
    not be correct. So i carefully spot the subject face & take the photo.
    Checked LCD & i'm satised with the result. Is this situation similar to yours? Hope this help.

Quote Originally Posted by ed9119

nothing to do with dynamic range ..... you took a SPOT reading of the sky and given your wide aperture (and likely higher ISO) your shutter was not fast enough in combination with the former to reach the exposure value recorded

this only u can tell us .....

what was the aperture and ISO setting ?

like Rashkae said ..... fastest shutter speed likely still not enough due to aperture set at too open (low f-stop number)

either dial down your aperture smaller (bigger f stop number) and/or dial down your ISO .... or use an appropriate ND filter (or CPL ) to bring down the EV to a level that allows shooting wide open at that EV
    Bro

How does EV work ?
    Does it change the shutter speed internally to adjust for -/+EV ?

Thank you

Quote Originally Posted by lotus80 View Post
    Bro

How does EV work ?

Thank you
    that would be Exposure Compensation. used with P/A/S modes (or Tv/Av). what you're doing is to tell that camera that you would like to have a darker or brighter exposure instead of having it at 0.

so the camera will adjust the settings for you. if you're using Shutter Priority, it'll adjust the f-stops. if you're in Aperture Priority, it adjusts the Shutter Speed. IF you ISO is pre-set.

Quote Originally Posted by kei1309

that would be Exposure Compensation. used with P/A/S modes (or Tv/Av). what you're doing is to tell that camera that you would like to have a darker or brighter exposure instead of having it at 0.

so the camera will adjust the settings for you. if you're using Shutter Priority, it'll adjust the f-stops. if you're in Aperture Priority, it adjusts the Shutter Speed. IF you ISO is pre-set.
    Then we can simply change stutter/aperture.

Why additional complication put in there :-)

Then we can simply change stutter/aperture.

Why additional complication put in there :-)
    when you're not using Full Manual.

Blog Entries

Bro

How does EV work ?

Thank you
    no worries..... EV is short for Exposure Value ..... or simply the measure of "brightness level" of light (there is a scale of numbers measuring the intensity of light vis a vis a base ISO)

"it denotes all combinations of a camera's shutter speed and relative aperture that give the SAME EXPOSURE"

for a given EV at say ISO100 there are a combination of aperture/shutter speeds that can be used for different effects (check out an EV table to see what I'm talking about) or better still go google "exposure value calculator ev" to access an EV Calculator (there should be a couple of Apps available too)

more readings can be found here Exposure value - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

EV compensation just means you dont agree with the EV that the camera's meter has given and you want to adjust (+/-) to make it expose more or less a given scene
    Last edited by ed9119; 12th September 2012 at 11:54 AM.
    Walkeast

Blog Entries

......... spend less time in Kopitiam .....

just spend some time memorizing the EV table from EV 6 to 16 at ISO 100 between f2.8 to f8.0 ....... you will seriously impress chicks and fellow photogs nowadays when you are able to point to anything and call out an estimated/averaged EV reading through your naked eyes, adjust your antique meterless camera accordingly .... and shoot ...

these were one of the standard tests (i daresay basic) when I joined the school photography club almost 40 years ago
    Last edited by ed9119; 12th September 2012 at 12:15 PM.
    Walkeast

Quote Originally Posted by lotus80

Bro

How does EV work ?

Thank you
    Go and google for exposure calculator and sunny 16 rule and you will understand how EV actually determine the brightness level. Basically it says at bright sunny day using iso 100. Use aperture f16 with shutter speed 1/125 (near 1/100). and you play around the rest by +1 stop of aperture and -1 stop of shutter speed.

1. ISO too high, need to lower
    2. Your aperture set at f2.8 ah?
    My Flickr
    ~Neko baka

Quote Originally Posted by bonrya View Post
    1. ISO too high, need to lower
    2. Your aperture set at f2.8 ah?
    ISO auto,
    aperture is widest at 1.4.

Does that means even after I spot metering and lock the exposure I still need to adjust the aperture/shutter speed if I am shooting at something that is too bright?

Quote Originally Posted by tomboy87

ISO auto,

Does that means even after I spot metering and lock the exposure I still need to adjust the aperture/shutter speed if I am shooting at something that is too bright?
    Ermm from what i see shooting at f1.4 your shutter speed must be able to reach 1/16000 at iso 100 (most dslr max shutter speed is only 1/8000) try aperture at f8 (a sweet aperture for most lenses) any way shooting at infinety everything should be in focus. Large aperture sometime may cause chromatic abberation too. Hope this help
    Last edited by Unagidon; 12th September 2012 at 02:56 PM.

ISO auto,
    Why would you shoot at widest aperture? Just curious...
    Beside this: all cameras meter with aperture at widest setting. If you set your aperture to f/8, still the camera meters the scene at widest aperture but then incorporates your target aperture setting into the calculation and sets the shutter speed accordingly.
    Post a picture with full exif data. Everything else is as good as reading tea leaves.
    EOS

Quote Originally Posted by Octarine View Post
    Why would you shoot at widest aperture? Just curious...
    Beside this: all cameras meter with aperture at widest setting. If you set your aperture to f/8, still the camera meters the scene at widest aperture but then incorporates your target aperture setting into the calculation and sets the shutter speed accordingly.
    Post a picture with full exif data. Everything else is as good as reading tea leaves.

Ya, I shouldn't shoot at the widest aperture straight to the sky. What I see from LCD doesn't means what I get right? I ultimately need to set a suitable aperture/ISO/shutter to have my desired picture ?

Here is my misunderstood concept:

When I press shutter half, this is what I see from the LCD :

after I press my shutter fully, this is what I get :

Sorry for my noob!

Aperture notation is f/x. The larger x, the smaller the aperture.

Push your aperture down. f/1.4 is too wide, especially if you aim at bright blue sky.

Use f/22 or smaller.

Don't spot meter at the sun, but somewhere near the sun.

I hope this help.
    A true photograph need not be explained, nor can it be contained in words.
    ~Ansel Adams

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast