Thread: USB 3 Card Reader and Adapter

Default USB 3 Card Reader and Adapter

Hi,

My motherboard does not have native USB 3 ports, so I have to get an adapter card.

But has anyone use an USB 3 adapter card and transfer using USB 3? Is it much faster or worth the effort for me to do it?

If so, can recommend any good USB 3 adapter and USB 3 Card Reader (must have SD and CF), where to get them and how much.

Need it to transfer D800 files.

Thanks.

it will be faster provided that the memory card u use is also a high speed one.

Default Re: USB 3 Card Reader and Adapter

USB 2.0 is capable of 480 megabits/s which is faster than any memory card right now.

So, if you currently have a USB 2.0 card reader (the ones from Sandisk and Sony are good) then you will not see a benefit.
    Alpha

File transfer felt much quicker with the USB 3.0 reader than my previous USB 2.0 one.
    No scientific evidence though; just plain observation and gut feel.

Perhaps my previous card reader was really not up to the mark.

I plonked 60 bucks down for the SanDisk Imagemate USB3.0 card reader, totally no regrets.

Transfer speed is damn fast, 2gb I think in under 1 min. Highly recommended.

Quote Originally Posted by Rashkae View Post
    USB 2.0 is capable of 480 megabits/s which is faster than any memory card right now.

So, if you currently have a USB 2.0 card reader (the ones from Sandisk and Sony are good) then you will not see a benefit.
    480 megabits/s is equal to 40MBps.... Considering the inefficiency of the reader and other stuffs, you can get a max of 30-35MBps on a USB2.0 card reader... The newer CF cards are rated at 90-100MBps.. So, the difference between a USB2.0 and USB3.0 will be huge(at least 2x) on a newer generation CF card..
    A 1 minute transfer on a USB2.0 reader will only take 20-25s on a new USB 3.0 reader.
    Last edited by Hein; 11th September 2012 at 08:06 PM.
    Sony a7rii + Batis 2/25
    Gitzo 1530 + Markins Q3

Quote Originally Posted by Hein View Post
    480 megabits/s is equal to 40MBps.... Considering the inefficiency of the reader and other stuffs, you can get a max of 30-35MBps on a USB2.0 card reader... The newer CF cards are rated at 90-100MBps.. So, the difference between a USB2.0 and USB3.0 will be huge(at least 2x) on a newer generation CF card..
    A 1 minute transfer on a USB2.0 reader will only take 20-25s on a new USB 3.0 reader.
    Hmmm, good point. Though note that you will need to specifically get a reader that supports UHS-1.

See here:

SanDisk Extreme Pro microSDHC UHS-I 16GB Memory Card Review - Testing The microSDHC UHS-I Card w/ USB 3.0 - Legit Reviews
    Alpha