Results 1 to 11 of 11

Thread: My first serious attempt.

  1. #1

    Default My first serious attempt.

    <Lionfish>

    1. In what area is critique to be sought
    how can i get more attention/focus to the fish? post-processing advice needed.

    2. What one hopes to achieve with the piece of work
    i want viewers to be able to see the details of the fish, and describe the fish as majestic.

    3. Under what circumstances is the picture taken
    In a poorly lit aquarium in Taiwan.

    4. What the critique seeker personally thinks of the picture
    I think there is a bad tinge of color which makes me unsatisfied with the pictures, also the clarity isnt there.

    Last edited by zaren; 9th September 2012 at 06:24 PM.

  2. #2

    Default Re: My first serious attempt.

    am not a fish lover nor shoot much fishes before just giving my comments heh...

    I think your focusing is ok and good that the shutter speed is enough in this poorly lit environment.

    For fishes, like other living subjects, I think the eyes and head are important, but I have some difficulty identifying them.
    To make the fish stand out more, probably can take it when it is at an area less busy background. Or you can also zoom in more to fill the frame with it.

    If you shot through the glass of the aquarium, it probably caused the colour cast (depth of the fish may also affect) with softness of the image and loss of contrast. These can be improved somewhat in post-processing (correcting white balance, sharpening and increasing contrast)

    Thanks for sharing and continue shooting =)

  3. #3
    Member eggie87's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Seletar Hills Estate, Singapor
    Posts
    658

    Default

    Not easy taking shots of fishes for me..brightness seems ok..could bring it the contrast abit more..background abit distracting..it's good to take shots of the fish when it's moving it's rear fin from side to side so when u take a shot the fish don't seem too flat..not a big user of photo shop as i always try to let it be natural..

  4. #4
    Member XavierShoot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Singapore, Aussie
    Posts
    349

    Default Re: My first serious attempt.

    Shooting through glass is always a challenge, as per what i tried in Underwater World Sentosa. I wish that it can be more sharp on the fish~
    Canon 60D | And Legs as Lens to cover every single focal length i ever needs.

  5. #5
    Member eggie87's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Seletar Hills Estate, Singapor
    Posts
    658

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by XavierShoot
    Shooting through glass is always a challenge, as per what i tried in Underwater World Sentosa. I wish that it can be more sharp on the fish~
    Would like to try shooting at under water world..wonder if it's bright enough to use my cpl filter for the glasses...

  6. #6

    Default Re: My first serious attempt.

    darkening the background might help to reduce clutter and focus greater attention on the subject.
    you can buy better gear but you can't buy a better eye

  7. #7
    Member XavierShoot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Singapore, Aussie
    Posts
    349

    Default Re: My first serious attempt.

    Quote Originally Posted by eggie87 View Post
    Would like to try shooting at under water world..wonder if it's bright enough to use my cpl filter for the glasses...
    you try going at the timing around 10am, i went there on a sunday morning, from 10am till 11am, there is less than 20 visitors, this i have the whole underwater world to myself. Thus you can press the lens directly onto the glass, which so call give u more stability and cuts out the reflections which enables you to use the cpl filter. Tripod i am not too sure
    Canon 60D | And Legs as Lens to cover every single focal length i ever needs.

  8. #8
    Member eggie87's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Seletar Hills Estate, Singapor
    Posts
    658

    Default Re: My first serious attempt.

    Quote Originally Posted by XavierShoot View Post
    you try going at the timing around 10am, i went there on a sunday morning, from 10am till 11am, there is less than 20 visitors, this i have the whole underwater world to myself. Thus you can press the lens directly onto the glass, which so call give u more stability and cuts out the reflections which enables you to use the cpl filter. Tripod i am not too sure
    LOl cant imagine bring a tripod in there..especially on the moving travelator thing

  9. #9

    Default Re: My first serious attempt.

    Another way is to stick your flash on the display tank and trigger it with a ttl cable or wireless transmitter.

    As long as the interior of tank is brighter than the surrounding, there will not be any reflection. Placing flashes at an angle can reduce reflection but slight reflection is still visible at times.

  10. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Jurong
    Posts
    29

    Default Re: My first serious attempt.

    Quote Originally Posted by zaren View Post
    darkening the background might help to reduce clutter and focus greater attention on the subject.
    Hi, may I ask which online photo editing software would you recommend?

    Thanks!

  11. #11

    Default Re: My first serious attempt.

    Quote Originally Posted by Jazzye View Post
    Hi, may I ask which online photo editing software would you recommend?

    Thanks!
    Hi,

    I use Gimp and Photoscape, both of which are free photo editing software that you can find online.

    Cheers!
    you can buy better gear but you can't buy a better eye

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •