Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: iPod mini or Zen Micro easier to use?

Quote Originally Posted by obviousdude
    i have to disagree with that dude

if it's god damn ugly, it wouldn't sell. go buy the cheaper mp3 players from china since they're that good looking dude.

if you don't like it, just don't buy it. but don't knock it
    just his personal opinion mah. let him knock it all he wants. free world

Quote Originally Posted by madmacs
    just his personal opinion mah. let him knock it all he wants. free world
    later another gulf war break out and this thread is a gonna too...

Default iPOD battery

This is something new to me:

Just saw on the Apple website a replacement of the iPod battery by Apple will cost US$99?!!!

Ok, it says the battery can be charged up to 400 times. Assuming 1 charge per 1-2days, that should work out to be a replacement in less than 2 years. Still, I find the US$99 a very steep price.

How much does the Zen battery cost and it can be self-replaced right?

the best way to scroll thru songs is to play the songs on winamp on desktop and use big size monitor and use mouse to scroll in any patternl u want

honestly, any form of scrolling on mini-sized player devices like ipod or zen of whatever player will more or less be an ergomonic nightmare. the manufacturers can at best make it less painful like with some slight improvement for eg, larger lcd, hold-down-continuous-scroll.. thats about it

my take is that such small-form devices whose capacity runs in gigs are meant for music on the move where the user just want to play the songs all the way without stopping/interruption here and there.. ie scrolling is not the main priority

Who cares about battery life? Don't tell me you play for 12-36 hours straight at one shot. And the battery won't die out that easily la, check out http://www.apple.com.sg/support/ipod/power/ for tips.

I quote from HWZ forums (you might want to check it out for hardware stuff, hardwarezone.com.sg)

"What if my iPod does not have warrenty anymore and the battery is spoilt?
    You will either have to buy a third party battery yourself, and fix your own battery.
    For manual instructions: http://www.ipodbattery.com/ipod2k4install.htm
    You can get the battery and kit at Maclink for $48. They will charge an additional of $30 labour fee if you want them to help you. "

Also ipodlounge.com is a good place for checking out stuff on the iPod, http://forums.ipodlounge.com/showthr...threadid=19556

And besides iPod has style, its made by Apple, 'nough said. Oh, you might want to ditch the earphones that come with it, quite lousy.

Btw the new updated Powerbooks are out.

Well, it seems that the more we talk about the comparisons, the more cons & pros we encounter... ...Gong Xi Fa Cai!!!

Oh, I forgot to add, get the iPod, not the mini. The minis not worth it IMHO. And the iPod already quite small.

Quote Originally Posted by David
    This is something new to me:

Just saw on the Apple website a replacement of the iPod battery by Apple will cost US$99?!!!

Ok, it says the battery can be charged up to 400 times. Assuming 1 charge per 1-2days, that should work out to be a replacement in less than 2 years. Still, I find the US$99 a very steep price.

How much does the Zen battery cost and it can be self-replaced right?
    Saw one of the website review saying that it(micro's battery) cost $50++ Canadian dollars.

Apple wouldn't want you to buy a mp3 player that last you a lifetime, wouldn't it? Checkout the userguide of Cnet Singapore on how to replace the iPod battery.

http://asia.cnet.com/reviews/portabl...9216268,00.htm
    http://www.ipodbattery.com/ipodminiinstall.html

Quote:"Before you go any further, please note that Apple did not design the iPods to be disassembled. Once they are snapped (or, in the case of the iPod Mini, glued) together, Apple essentially considers them to be a disposable item, and warranty/repair work consists of swapping the broken iPod for a new one."

Taken from the above website.
    Last edited by Hommie; 9th February 2005 at 05:27 PM.

What kind of stuff do you use for a lifetime anyway? Heh, essentially its up to the buyer to weigh the pros/cons of whatever you're buying and make your choice. Theres nothing perfect, like those threads that keep comparing the 300D vs D70, Windows VS OSx, and so on.

Quote Originally Posted by n0d3
    What kind of stuff do you use for a lifetime anyway? Heh, essentially its up to the buyer to weigh the pros/cons of whatever you're buying and make your choice. Theres nothing perfect, like those threads that keep comparing the 300D vs D70, Windows VS OSx, and so on.
    We hope to get value for the money we paid..... You mean you don't like a long lasting product? Or money is no problem for you?

Quote Originally Posted by obviousdude
    later another gulf war break out and this thread is a gonna too...
    nope...not by me at least

same as some people here would advise interested buyers of cameras to go try out the cameras and lens themselves, you might want to consider trying out both in the shop or try to ask around here whether any owner of either one wouldn't mind to let you try out.

Quote Originally Posted by meng
    same as some people here would advise interested buyers of cameras to go try out the cameras and lens themselves, you might want to consider trying out both in the shop or try to ask around here whether any owner of either one wouldn't mind to let you try out.
    Agreed, best that David have a listen to both and get a feel of both players and make a decision. Anyway both are undisputed great player, won't go wrong with either....

Quote Originally Posted by Smarty
    Guys,

Before you all head down to the shop, do check this out first. Happy Shopping.

http://www.iriver.com/html/product/p...ct.asp?pidx=61

iRiver H10
    - 4 Stylish Colors and a Tiny, Lightweight Package
    - 5GB internal memory holds up to 1,200 songs or 50,000 photos.
    - Up to 12 hours of playback with detachable rechargeable battery
    - Plays MPEG 1/2/2.5 Layer 3, MP3 VBR, WMA, JPEG, TXT, FM radio
    - Simple Touch Scroll Interface
    - Synchronizes music with PC via iriver plus, digital jukebox program
    - Records voice, FM radio and Line in(with Cradle).
    - Shows photos and texts with vibrant color display while playing music.
    - Connects to USB 2.0 port for high speed data transfer.
    - Supports Window 2000/XP

I second that !!
    Just got myself a H10 and its very easy to use. Most importantly, the sound
    quality really blow the flat-tone Ipod away. Now trying to get rid of my Ipod
    asap.
    Last edited by cookiez; 9th February 2005 at 07:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Hommie
    We hope to get value for the money we paid..... You mean you don't like a long lasting product? Or money is no problem for you?
    I'm saying that it should be long lasting, but it defintely won't last "for a lifetime". Technology becomes increasingly advanced at a very fast rate, what I'm saying that whatever you have will become obsolete. So even if the battery does last, you're gonna have to replace it anyway. That was what I meant.

I'm saying that it should be long lasting, but it defintely won't last "for a lifetime". Technology becomes increasingly advanced at a very fast rate, what I'm saying that whatever you have will become obsolete. So even if the battery does last, you're gonna have to replace it anyway. That was what I meant.
    I stand by what I mentioned, if you have a product that can last longer(no need to be lifetime, of course), wouldn't you like it? If I can used it longer, then it meant not wasting more money to buy replacement, wouldn't you like it?

Let's not talk about obsolete, that's another story all together. Most of the players mentioned here have firmware upgrade that enables the players to play newer stuffs and all. If your player is likely to be spoilt before it becomes obsolete and there's a lot of trouble to make it work again or buy new one, isn't it wastful??

Ah, I see what you mean.

Ah, I see what you mean.
    No harm done, I hope.....

Anyway, its up to David's decision. I fully recommend iPod mini if he want ease of use to be the top factor.

Thanks all... Sorry if my battery question sounds simplistic. Yeah, as Hommie said, also being really new to the bigger MP3 players, I wish for the battery to last as long as possible at minimal cost, though of cos nothing lasts forever.

Now that I think about it, I think should the battery really be flat one day, which may be MORE than 2 years later (sorry miscalculation just now, doubt I'll use the iPod everyday), it may be time to ditch the iPod for something new, maybe an iPod II or iPod Ultra or something like that.

Come to think of it, my $440 top of the line (about 3 years ago) Sony MD player is now practically obsolete, and I haven't depleted the rechargeable battery yet.

My Palm III color which was once tops too about 3-4 years ago is now junk and the battery is still fine too.

Technology is really scary. B4 the battery goes, i think the electronic product itself might just die first! Same goes with my DSLR... Battery still running but the camera's good market value won't last longer than 3 years.

As for the iRiver H10, anyone else with other opinions? Not confident with the brand though as Apple and Creative are the 2 big names so far in the market.

I don't know how I'm going to test out the different players at the same time. Guess I'll just read the reviews and make a decision myself on what priorities I want.

Thanks guys for all your opinions!

Quote Originally Posted by Hommie
    Saw one of the website review saying that it(micro's battery) cost $50++ Canadian dollars.

Apple wouldn't want you to buy a mp3 player that last you a lifetime, wouldn't it? Checkout the userguide of Cnet Singapore on how to replace the iPod battery.

http://asia.cnet.com/reviews/portabl...9216268,00.htm
    http://www.ipodbattery.com/ipodminiinstall.html

Quote:"Before you go any further, please note that Apple did not design the iPods to be disassembled. Once they are snapped (or, in the case of the iPod Mini, glued) together, Apple essentially considers them to be a disposable item, and warranty/repair work consists of swapping the broken iPod for a new one."

Taken from the above website.
    Seems that u're pretty much an 'official' person who rarely takes da backdoor route.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast