Thread: E-300 and FL-36 question...

Question E-300 and FL-36 question...

When using ttl auto does the 'max' range indicated maxes out at 8m? even at higher iso.. is this due to the pre-flash setup, as it cannot properly do pre-flash set up at too far a range??? btw... on page 22 of the manual the pic shows 0.8-18.2m.??! ... in auto mode works fine....range can easily 10+ metre when up iso...

I think so since a pre-flash actually fires and the camera waits for the bounced back light level to determine the actual flash power. If the subject is too far the respond would be slower and most importantly, a strong pre-flash will drain more power for firing the actual flash with comes almost immediately after that.

Don't know about how oth brand TTL flash work, but I think, generally this limitation applies.

Have another question for experts here as well. I just bought the FL36 yesterday and was having some fun with it.

However, I was not able to get the e300 to fire together with the FL. I am in P mode, set the e300 flash to on and bounced the flash up and it was on TTL FP mode...

Any one can help?
    Last edited by steppy; 6th February 2005 at 10:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by steppy
    Have another question for experts here as well. I just bought the FL36 yesterday and was having some fun with it.

However, I was not able to get the e300 to fire together with the FL. I am in P mode, set the e300 flash to on and bounced the flash up and it was on TTL FP mode...

Any one can help?

You have to use 'S' mode.

Antonio

try using non fp mode on the flash? or what mode is the internal flash set on?
    mine works fine on p/a/s/m....
    btw i just tried out when using ttl auto you can get around 6-8 m @ iso 100, @ iso 200 almost always 8ish metres... @1600 still stays around 8ish/9ish metres...

Quote Originally Posted by hammer_400
    try using non fp mode on the flash? or what mode is the internal flash set on?
    mine works fine on p/a/s/m....
    btw i just tried out when using ttl auto you can get around 6-8 m @ iso 100, @ iso 200 almost always 8ish metres... @1600 still stays around 8ish/9ish metres...

There is no FP mode for E-300's internal flash so don't pop up the internal flash when using external flash FP mode.

In case of non-FP case, the camera control both F-36 and internal flash together. In this combination, the internal flash will be responsible for pre-flash function while FL-36 won't if you use red eye reduction mode.

When you boost up the ISO to 800 and 1600, the accuracy of the flash may drop.

Antonio

Sometimes, I find that using the "Auto mode" on the flash better than TTL.

In Auto mode, the flash's sensor kick into action. And the response is faster since no pre-flash is needed.

I haven't tested if this increases the effective distance. You may give it a try.

Quote Originally Posted by hammer_400
    When using ttl auto does the 'max' range indicated maxes out at 8m? even at higher iso.. is this due to the pre-flash setup, as it cannot properly do pre-flash set up at too far a range??? btw... on page 22 of the manual the pic shows 0.8-18.2m.??! ... in auto mode works fine....range can easily 10+ metre when up iso...
    The range depends on the aperture and ISO setting. If I guess correctly, the Guide Number for the FL-36 is 36m at ISO100.

Divide the GN by the aperture and multiply by 1.4 for every doubling of ISO above 100.

e.g. if you use F2 and set the ISO to 400, the max range is 36/2x1.4x1.4 ~ 36m . if you use F20 and ISO 100, the max range is 36/20 ~ 1.8m.

This is basic flash theory. If the GN is different, change accordingly. Not too sure wht "TTL" gives different values vs other modes though, one possibility is the emitting of pre-flash which reduces the flash charge.
    Last edited by mpenza; 7th February 2005 at 09:46 PM.