Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Those who shoot indoor events pls come in

Default Re: Those who shoot indoor events pls come in

Quote Originally Posted by sin77 View Post
    I was looking towards methodologies or techniques rather than very specific settings.
    even you shooting in a same ballroom, this corner and that corner of the ballroom may not have the same result with the same set up.
    you have to have some understanding of the existing lighting of the scene, in term of white balance, quality and quantity, can you use the power of flash to be main, or to supplement or to over power it.

in short, you need E & E, experiment and experiences.

no maggi mee here.

one more thing photographers always forget,

clients only want sharp sharp clear clear photos that show what, when, where, who, why and how of the event

if your shots can not give this two things to them, especially what, when, where, who, why and how, you are consider failed.

so keep it simple and give them what they want.
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

karnage,

I always thought weddings are fast moving and no time to change lens.
    Why do you not want to use fast zoom lens?
    Primes seem tedious.
    D7100,SB910,17-50/2.8OS,105/2.8VR,85/1.8D,2xE-M1,O60/2.8,12-40/2.8,35-100/2.8,14-42,LX100

Just to share.

1. Most of the time do you use colour gel for flash?
    Nope.

2. Do you always do custom white balance?
    Always.

3. How many sets of custom white balance you usually need or set before the event start?
    Two settings. One with flash, one without flash.

4. For group photo under hotel room incandescent light, what is your technique of setting custom white balance and what are your tools to do so?
    Meter the background. Adjust flash power to fill light on the subject. Or just shoot without flash.

5. Do you normally standby extra flashes mainly for wireless trigger?
    Depends on the event.

6. Do you often change lenses?
    Always, cause shooting with prime lens.

7. Do you use one or two cameras?
    1 body.

8. If you have two cameras, do you attach two flashes at the same time?
    Yep, more convenient.

Quote Originally Posted by sin77
    karnage,

Primes seem tedious.
    Because the fastest zoom lens is still 2 stops slower than the fastest prime lens. 2 stops can be a difference between unusable blur shots at 1/15s and very sharp shots at 1/60s.

Indeed, weddings are fast paced, so like someone mentioned above, experience counts for alot, especially when u know what's gonna happen next. Quick assessment of the location and familiarity with your equipment also allows you to decide on which lens to use.
    incywincyspider climbup the waterspout...

Quote Originally Posted by sin77 View Post
    karnage,

Primes seem tedious.
    It really depends on individual style, genre, client requirements, terrain and situations. Events is a very general term. A sporting event could be track and field in the stadium, the F1 races, a marathon at sheares bridge. A wedding can be fast moving because Chinese weddings frequently cramp too many things into the day, or it could be very relaxed or informal where people just hang around chit chat cocktail and talk cork. There is no fixed formula. It is really like Catchlights said, experience and experiment.

Some events you can move and 'zoom with the feet' as prime shooters say, but some events you are fixed to a spot, shoulder to shoulder with other photographers, if you knee down someone's going to put a lens on your head, if you stand up, someones going to put a lens over your shoulder, and sometimes you are stuck in that position for 2 hours underwear wet wet and you need to zoom in close at one moment and get wide shots the next, primes becomes unsuitable for such instances. Some events photographers shoot up to 3-4 events on a good day, running from event to event, they really want to keep it simple and guerrilla, do more with less. One lens, one body, one flash. Another duplicate backup set in the car or bag. And concentrate on the job.

Primes offer speed in terms of ambient exposure, but in real world situation its you also need to consider getting enough depth, clean light in nasty ambient - thus flash dormant exposure always gets you clean light and colors, depth and freeze action, and after you freezed the action, drag in as much ambient as it looks good.

Don't get me wrong, I shoot primes from 35 to 135, fastest at f/1.2, its about using the right tool for the right job. Not married to one single methodology.
    Last edited by sjackal; 16th September 2012 at 11:16 PM.
    WTB Manfrotto RC4 L Bracket

Quote Originally Posted by sjackal View Post
    It really depends on individual style, genre, client requirements, terrain and situations. Events is a very general term. A sporting event could be track and field in the stadium, the F1 races, a marathon at sheares bridge. A wedding can be fast moving because Chinese weddings frequently cramp too many things into the day, or it could be very relaxed or informal where people just hang around chit chat cocktail and talk cork. There is no fixed formula. It is really like Catchlights said, experience and experiment.

Some events you can move and 'zoom with the feet' as prime shooters say, but some events you are fixed to a spot, shoulder to shoulder with other photographers, if you knee down someone's going to put a lens on your head, if you stand up, someones going to put a lens over your shoulder, and sometimes you are stuck in that position for 2 hours underwear wet wet and you need to zoom in close at one moment and get wide shots the next, primes becomes unsuitable for such instances. Some events photographers shoot up to 3-4 events on a good day, running from event to event, they really want to keep it simple and guerrilla, do more with less. One lens, one body, one flash. Another duplicate backup set in the car or bag. And concentrate on the job.

Primes offer speed in terms of ambient exposure, but in real world situation its you also need to consider getting enough depth, clean light in nasty ambient - thus flash dormant exposure always gets you clean light and colors, depth and freeze action, and after you freezed the action, drag in as much ambient as it looks good.

Don't get me wrong, I shoot primes from 35 to 135, fastest at f/1.2, its about using the right tool for the right job. Not married to one single methodology.
    I mentioned indoor , not outdoor.
    Thanks
    D7100,SB910,17-50/2.8OS,105/2.8VR,85/1.8D,2xE-M1,O60/2.8,12-40/2.8,35-100/2.8,14-42,LX100

Quote Originally Posted by sin77
    I mentioned indoor , not outdoor.
    Thanks
    It applies the same.

Open your eyes to what others say.

There are certain techniques used outdoor that can be replicated indoors.

And they're all up to your style and preference.

And in the end, what works for others might not work in the least for you.

Quote by Catchlights :

'I have photography weddings in many ballrooms, not all ballrooms are the same, so you still can't use one setting fix all, you have deal with them differently"

I fully agree with bro Catchlights about his comments and like to share some examples :

1)
    MSW 2011 IMG_1626 by Leon Liew (Zeisser2008), on Flickr

2)
    IMG_0102 by Leon Liew (Zeisser2008), on Flickr

Picture one was taken in Suntec Convention Centre setting Iso400 1/50@F4.5 and picture two at Orchid Country Club Iso800 1/50@F5.0 with bounce flash.Balance
    set @ daylight. I only use one body with a 24-85mm. As both venues have high ceilings tests shots are needed to determine the settings and with this digital age
    should have not much of a problem.
    Last edited by Zeisser; 20th September 2012 at 11:26 PM.
    5D/5D3/Zeiss/28-85/100 F2/200 F4/50 F1.4/70-200/24-85/85 F1.4
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/zeisser/

As pro's or semi pro's i assume many of you shoot in raw? Dosen't that help you avoid white balance issues or problems later?

Quote Originally Posted by shioks76 View Post
    As pro's or semi pro's i assume many of you shoot in raw? Dosen't that help you avoid white balance issues or problems later?
    Once again, it depends.

RAW gives you more latitude in adjustment, not that JPEG cannot adjust but just with JPEG that you are working with 8bit of info versus 12bit or 14bit for RAW.

While you can adjust in post process, you cannot fix bad location white balance issues.

Most event pros are JPEG for speed and volume.
    Last edited by sjackal; 20th September 2012 at 11:44 PM.
    WTB Manfrotto RC4 L Bracket

1. Most of the time do you use colour gel for flash?Always
    2. Do you always do custom white balance?No
    3. How many sets of custom white balance you usually need or set before the event start?-
    4. For group photo under hotel room incandescent light, what is your technique of setting custom white balance and what are your tools to do so?-
    5. Do you normally standby extra flashes mainly for wireless trigger?Depends
    6. Do you often change lenses?No
    7. Do you use one or two cameras?2
    8. If you have two cameras, do you attach two flashes at the same time?No, no flash on 70-200mm

You are looking for a magic formula - no such thing.

It's experience and knowledge.

Very helpful thread coming from those with lots more experience than me, thanks for sharing

Just to share one more picture. This was before my switch to digital. Bounced flash 1/15 @ 2.8 Fuji Superia Xtra 400. So for digital
    I apply the same way as film hence my balance is always set @ daylight.

ManHunt Singapore'09 PreView 40018 by Leon Liew (Zeisser2008), on Flickr
    5D/5D3/Zeiss/28-85/100 F2/200 F4/50 F1.4/70-200/24-85/85 F1.4
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/zeisser/

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12