Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How to enjoy photography when you have no time/money?

wryer, i serving NS for 1 yr plus already. Im currently in service side so u the pay has been at 350 for few mths already. Although staying out, i try my best eating food provided by SFI, avoid eating from the mobile canteen. stay away from expensive activities like clubbing and smoking. end of the month i manage to save up near 300 dollars. Every few mths i will get a new lens depend on my needs.Ocassionally during my off, i will choose places for shoots and enjoy the time taking pictures.

my example might be quite extreme but photography is afterall a expensive hobby.

hmmmm...get a cheap body and fix a 50mm lens. Whole setup should be about 1 month's NS allowance?

If no time, then find interesting stuff at home to shoot loh
    My Bro's Toys

Got a Canon EOS 88 for sale cheap if u interested....
    BnS Thread
    Its not that great, but it went thru my ns days with me too....

well i think having no time is a bigger problem than having no money..

i echo the same suggestion of getting a camera so you can shoot again.

you could make it more interesting by getting just say a fixed-lens point and shoot film camera or say a cheap rangefinder.

or if you want to save and wait till end of NS, you could always enjoy your free time in other ways...

If u want to balik start again frm scratch, a P&S camera would be good to help u kick start again.

P&S are pretty cheap with low start-up cost and once u've gotten the money to jump back to SLR or DSLR, u can use ur P&S as a spare camera or for those moments of quick-fixes (unless u can have DSLR quality pix on a P&S camera size one day).

P&S has their own limitations where range and speed are concerned, but it enables u to see the photography world once again in another light.

I guess everybody went through the cycle at least once in their life:
    1. got-time-no-money (when young)
    2. no-time-no-money (just start working)
    3. no-time-got-money (career growth)
    4. got-time-got-money (if u are lucky in this stage)

So if u are in phase 2, just hang on and soon u will advance to next phase.

Talking

Harlow! Me new here. Have been reading this forum for sometime, very interesting to follow discussions in local crowd. (Previously reading dpreview, seems like emphasis quite different.)

Can't help but to join the forum after coming across this thread, backside itchy must say something:
    its many years ago when I was doing my NS, being itchy finger I volunteered to be official photographer for the company- save the hassle of security clearance (especially nowzadays). Took the opportunity and rare chance to shoot stuff in totally different setting- the military. Can actually get many many interesting shots and almost like documentary (maciam saving pte ryan shots during exercises)

No fanciful stuff, just my canon ixus 70(APS): compact and fits right in SBO pocket, fairly good zoom range(wide angle), takes fair bit of punishment, APS film saves trouble of dust and dirt when loading..and convenient to store.

Best part is, cost of shooting spread to the company. Who knows, might end up a war photographer next time....yah right....

just a kaypoh thought.

Blog Entries

Another way out is to talk to the people at pioneer magazine (is it still around?) you can try to get a posting as a photographer there and serve your nation taking pictures. Using their camera some more. Problem solved (time and money)

Good luck, as there are another 100,000 people who wants that job as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Jed
    You need a camera. Aside from that, this forum has a tendency to convey the impression that you need buckets of money to buy buckets of equipment to enable you to take good pictures and/or feel good about yourself.

You don't.

If you're into photography, then all you need to take good pictures and/or feel good about yourself, is a camera and to go out and shoot pictures.

If on the other hand you're in it because you like all the shiny toys, then that's a different story.

No offense meant to any specific person in this forum.
    I forgive you but I won't forget it.

Who says you need a camera to shoot? If you are still crazy about photography (film photography that is) you can built a Pin Hole camera. Relatively cheap and good. You can even own 3 pin hole cameras. One short, medium and long range.

Wryer, if you think I am joking well be it then. Pin hole camera is the MOST BASIC, CHEAPEST, LIGHTEST and CAMERA that you ever own. My 17 years old Pin Hole camera is still with me. And the images that will give you is the most romantic and beautiful images.

I am reasoning with you is because since you have some basic knowledge in using a camera and your photography too, why not explore further? Since you do not have too much money but it does not stop you from taking photos. Browse thru the net and you will find plenty of creatively made pin hole cameras.

To some Pin Hole Camera is a joke but to me it's still Photography. Images is created by yourself. If you do have the itch to shoot, then what are you still reading this? Go make one!

Once again there is a misconception about the world of Photography. The BEST, The MOST EXPENSIVE AND The MOST ADVANCE/LATEST EQUIPMENTS will not make you a better photographer. Creative photographers will find ways to created images and recording them on the negatives. Money of course you can start to save and when your skills get better, then it's time to move on. Pin Hole Camera is not meant for only newbies/amatuers only but it's for everyone to use.

When I bring out my Pin Hole Camera for an outing with my friends once (this was for an assignment for my photography class), they laugh at me and ask me what the hell is that? A black shoe box? Well when I was young I can't really afford a camera. So the obvious reason is go make one.

At the end of the day, my teacher applauded me for being able to create images out of a box. The best part was my images came out tops for creativeness and idea. My teacher even told us that images do not need to be sharp to be beautful. I am sure you all should know Pin Hole Camera images a not sharp but it's sharp enough to see what I was shooting.

After that incident, my friends all asked me how to make a Pin Hole Camera and they were so amazed with the results they create.

Oh BTW, time is all up to you to organise. Always hear army boys always say "Bo See Kan"(No Free Time), "Xian Ah"(Bored and Tired), "Mana U Eng"(Where Got Time?). So I hope you are not one of them. If you find time is so limited for you in the army, wait till you are out in the working world. No time to go toilet, eat and sleep.

Good luck and I hope this help.
    Last edited by Pro Image; 7th February 2005 at 05:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jed
    You need a camera. Aside from that, this forum has a tendency to convey the impression that you need buckets of money to buy buckets of equipment to enable you to take good pictures and/or feel good about yourself.

You don't.

If you're into photography, then all you need to take good pictures and/or feel good about yourself, is a camera and to go out and shoot pictures.

If on the other hand you're in it because you like all the shiny toys, then that's a different story.

No offense meant to any specific person in this forum.
    Exactly!

Thanks guys for all the discussion so far! I guess my real problem is no time rather than no money..

Guess what i'll do is to save up and start afresh once i get out, meanwhile, buckup on my theory part!

I haven't touched my eos300v for a long time since I've enlisted...But I bought a $100 Mju II that I put in my SBO at all times so that at least can shoot some sights at times..

You can always get a downgrade, and then get 8-5 job... :P

There are a lot of ppl in the army, regulars mostly, that are moonlighting as pro photographers... should be able to find time...

I'm with Jed and megaweb. Any camera would do. Since you have already used Nikon F80/5700 previously, you already have the basics.

$ wise, maximum $100 would get you a Olympus MjuII or any cheap rangefinder or just a simplest Digital P&S. Have you ever considered one instant camera. Don't ever doubt its capability.

Time wise, even with only 1hr on a Saturday or Sunday, you can just walk around your neighbourhood to shoot. In my opinion, if you are busy, then the more you should not go into digital for the moment. It would just eat into your spare time. But this is just my opinion.

There are many people who have lots of camera equipment and spend lots of time to shoot for their hobby. But only themselves know whether they really enjoy it.

I'm going to serve NS 2 years later.. Really have no idea if i've still the time to shoot after that tho....

Quote Originally Posted by djchris
    I haven't touched my eos300v for a long time since I've enlisted...But I bought a $100 Mju II that I put in my SBO at all times so that at least can shoot some sights at times..
    wah!
    be careful sia, cause alot of training areas and camps actually cant take photos one... just be careful man..
    Panasonic G3 | Minolta X700 | Minolta X370 | Pentax Asahi Spotmatic | Pratika MTL 3 | Panasonic Lx3

Quote Originally Posted by kjmedora
    There are a lot of ppl in the army, regulars mostly, that are moonlighting as pro photographers... should be able to find time...
    how i hope i can reach that standard then i can start moonlighting as a photographer too
    Panasonic G3 | Minolta X700 | Minolta X370 | Pentax Asahi Spotmatic | Pratika MTL 3 | Panasonic Lx3

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast