Thread: need advice on canon A-1,AE-1,AV-1,AT-1

Default need advice on canon A-1,AE-1,AV-1,AT-1

hi guys, am planning to get a manual slr. have zoom down to these few models; A-1,AE-1.AV-1 & AT-1. can anyone pls enlighten me wat are the difference between these models and which 1 would u recommend. thks..

The website given above is really good. As far as recommendations go, I'd stay away from the AV-1 as it does not have manual exposure control, which is a real limitation if you get more serious about photography.

Also note that the lenses for these cameras cannot be used on modern Canon SLRs.

Quote Originally Posted by pol
    hi guys, am planning to get a manual slr. have zoom down to these few models; A-1,AE-1.AV-1 & AT-1. can anyone pls enlighten me wat are the difference between these models and which 1 would u recommend. thks..
    I would suggest that you should not get the above model as all are discontinued and Canon does not have parts to repair them anymore..and further more those FD lenses are quite hard to find.
    Why not get a Nikon FM2 with a lens system that Nikon still support the F-mount?

I agree with XXX Boy.

Although I am a Canon faithful, Nikon is the way to go for manual cameras. The F3, FM3a and FM2 are all very recent cameras. Lenses are also easier to buy. Of course, I'm assuming you don't already own FD lenses.

Quote Originally Posted by pol
    The website recommended by limhousen is the authority on canon FD cameras, there's even a forum there for A-series specific questions.
    I think the AV-1 & AT-1 are respectively shutter-priority and aperture-priority only, while the A-1 and AE-1 are full program + manual cameras. If you really need to get an A-series, it's going to be either the A-1 or AE-1, most people starting out seem to get the AE-1, it's cheaper, for one... I'm using the A-1, it's a fine camera, but finding lenses is a pain. You can only get them 2nd-hand at places like TCW, or off ebay and yahoo. If i were starting all over again without already having lenses, i would get a Nikon FM, it simply poses less of a logistical problem, unless you're just getting a camera to play with and all you want is like a 50mm standard lens, which is still quite common.

thks guys for the advice.