Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 30

Thread: Seeking advise - deal

  1. #1

    Default Seeking advise - deal

    Hello to all,
    Seeking for some advise concerning about a recent deal.

    Recently sold off my canon 1dmkiV camera for $4170.
    Did not have an exact shutter count and given is my 2nd body, and 1D has a long life span
    I gave a rough estimate of 25-30k.
    Besides that, there was no problem with the camera.

    After one week of deal, buyer suddenly sent me a pic of the shutter count (using eos count program) of 87k.
    Knowing that I did not give a exact count, I replied him that I will refund him a small amount to offset it.
    Buyer's initial suggestion was to return the cam back to me and I refund him $4150.

    Please advise and suggest.
    Thank you all.

  2. #2

    Default Re: Seeking advise - deal

    All I can say is, you won't know what happened within 1 week.....

  3. #3

    Default Re: Seeking advise - deal

    Buyer will think you eat him. why u never check shutter count??
    Eat breath LIVERPOOL!!!

  4. #4
    Moderator catchlights's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Punggol, Singapore
    Posts
    21,902

    Default Re: Seeking advise - deal

    he just offer you renting your camera for $20 a week.

    last I know for $25 you can only rent a D3000 for a day.


    I'm not sure about Canon camera, cos you can read the shutter count from a photo of Nikon cameras, if I were you, I will take a last known photo taken with the sold camera and check, did the buyer clock a few thousand shutter counts and try to BS me.
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

  5. #5

    Default Re: Seeking advise - deal

    Yes one week u nrver know wat happen. best is meet him to settle fast.
    Eat breath LIVERPOOL!!!

  6. #6
    Moderator ed9119's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    10,931
    Blog Entries
    26

    Default Re: Seeking advise - deal

    transaction over

    you are not obliged to entertain the buyer

    he was silly to just take your word for it without doing a proper check

    and he could have fired off 40-50k shutters within that week ...... (eg. Tungtung does that amount in 3 days alone )
    shaddap and just shoot .... up close
    Walkeast

  7. #7

    Default Re: Seeking advise - deal

    I din check the shutter count cause for canon cams, It cost to check.
    If buyer wanted me to give a exact figure and check it out with the cost included in the sale, I would have done it and prevent the situation for happening.
    Since I know that my estimate was off from the exact, I already offer to refund a small amt.

  8. #8

    Default Re: Seeking advise - deal

    Yup a usual price of renting a mkIv is $128 per day.
    Unfortunately, for canon cameras there's no exact way to find out e count directly,is either via program or from canon centre itself.


    Quote Originally Posted by catchlights View Post
    he just offer you renting your camera for $20 a week.

    last I know for $25 you can only rent a D3000 for a day.



    I'm not sure about Canon camera, cos you can read the shutter count from a photo of Nikon cameras, if I were you, I will take a last known photo taken with the sold camera and check, did the buyer clock a few thousand shutter counts and try to BS me.

  9. #9
    Senior Member edutilos-'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    The Universe
    Posts
    5,991

    Default Re: Seeking advise - deal

    Up to you, you can give him a small amount to offset, it seems fair. If there is nothing else wrong with the camera it seems more like buyer's remorse. Logically I won't return a camera just because the shutter count is higher than expected... Especially if I did not check at that time (which means I can't have cared very much).

  10. #10

    Default Re: Seeking advise - deal

    Yup That's what I thought so to,
    But to show that I do not have any intention to "cheat" him, I still replied and offer an offset amount.

    I had a similar situation happened to me before. But no sound from the seller after deal so can't be helped too.

    Quote Originally Posted by ed9119 View Post
    transaction over

    you are not obliged to entertain the buyer

    he was silly to just take your word for it without doing a proper check

    and he could have fired off 40-50k shutters within that week ...... (eg. Tungtung does that amount in 3 days alone )

  11. #11
    Member Deyeno's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    80

    Default Re: Seeking advise - deal

    Quote Originally Posted by icestrike View Post
    I din check the shutter count cause for canon cams, It cost to check.
    If buyer wanted me to give a exact figure and check it out with the cost included in the sale, I would have done it and prevent the situation for happening.
    Since I know that my estimate was off from the exact, I already offer to refund a small amt.
    You can download a utility that will check the shutter count for all canon camera's. I had to do this to read the count on my 40D.

    For future reference goto this link EOSinfo, download the installer. It should work on all Canon, Digic III/IV DSLR's.


    EOSCount is another utility which is web based but requires a small fee.

    Cheers ....
    40D|BG-E2N|24-105L F4.0 IS USM |70-200L F2.8 IS USM

  12. #12

    Default Re: Seeking advise - deal

    Thank you for your software link ,appreciate it.
    Will check before selling in the future, avoid such situation
    Really troublesome and headache to deal with it.

    Quote Originally Posted by Deyeno View Post
    You can download a utility that will check the shutter count for all canon camera's. I had to do this to read the count on my 40D.

    For future reference goto this link EOSinfo, download the installer. It should work on all Canon, Digic III/IV DSLR's.


    EOSCount is another utility which is web based but requires a small fee.

    Cheers ....

  13. #13

    Default Re: Seeking advise - deal

    TS, I believe you still have some recent photos you took with your 1D4. Run the photos in EOSinfo/ EOScount to see what is the last shutter count clocked by you. If it is really close to 80k then I believe it is a kind gesture to refund a small amount to the buyer as you have unintentionally given the wrong shutter count info to the buyer. 30k and 90k is a huge difference (which contributes to roughly 1/10 or 1/3 of the expected shutter life of 300k clicks).

    If your last photo taken is no where near 80k then forget about it, the buyer is trying to pull a fast one.

  14. #14

    Default Re: Seeking advise - deal

    Thank you for your advise.
    Yup that's what I'm trying to do as well, the most I can offer a small amount refund.
    But buyer is insisting to refund the camera instead.

    But if I'm not wrong. E programs require a direct connection to the camera to check e count right?
    Anyone can advise on that?


    Quote Originally Posted by yrh0413 View Post
    TS, I believe you still have some recent photos you took with your 1D4. Run the photos in EOSinfo/ EOScount to see what is the last shutter count clocked by you. If it is really close to 80k then I believe it is a kind gesture to refund a small amount to the buyer as you have unintentionally given the wrong shutter count info to the buyer. 30k and 90k is a huge difference (which contributes to roughly 1/10 or 1/3 of the expected shutter life of 300k clicks).

    If your last photo taken is no where near 80k then forget about it, the buyer is trying to pull a fast one.

  15. #15

    Default Re: Seeking advise - deal

    yikes I didn't know you need to physically attach your camera to your computer to check your shutter count.

    try these sites?

    Check shutter count online - My Shutter Count.com

    Camera Shutter Count

  16. #16
    Moderator ed9119's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    10,931
    Blog Entries
    26

    Default Re: Seeking advise - deal

    you dont need to examine your camera to check ..... just use one of the most recent images shot with that camera

    when giving estimates in future .... play safe and just say you dont know and ask buyer to check it himself or that your estimate is just a rough estimate and not held responsible

    if in your shoes, i will not entertain ......

    i usually expect the seller to be lying and whatever you say the count is , I'll always expect the worst and factor in the cost of a shutter replacement in the near future
    shaddap and just shoot .... up close
    Walkeast

  17. #17

    Default

    I remember when I sold my 5dmk2, the buyer run the eos utility on the spot. Actually, I was surprised that the shutter count was higher than my estimate range. Luckily i told him I don't know the exact shutter count before we meet to deal.
    | 5Diii | 24 ii | 40 | 24-70 ii | 24-105 | 70-200 F4 IS | 270 ii | 600EX-RT |

  18. #18

    Default Re: Seeking advise - deal

    Quote Originally Posted by ahboy168 View Post
    I remember when I sold my 5dmk2, the buyer run the eos utility on the spot. Actually, I was surprised that the shutter count was higher than my estimate range. Luckily i told him I don't know the exact shutter count before we meet to deal.
    OT a bit: for me when I bought my 1D Mark III used 3 years back I immediately sent the camera for general servicing to get the shutter count. The previous seller told me that he clocked less than 15k clicks which is pretty accurate. When I sold my 1D3 I just use custom filter to filter out how many images I took with my 1D3 (I have other cameras to use), then add them to 15k and tell the potential buyer the estimated shutter count... with buffer additional 10k clicks just in case I chimp too much.

  19. #19

    Default Re: Seeking advise - deal

    This is a simple case.

    Did buyer tell you specifically that he will buy the camera from you only if the shutter count was as what you quoted him, ie 25-30k? If not, then you have a strong upper hand. Moreover, there is too long a time period after the sale.

  20. #20

    Default Re: Seeking advise - deal

    there might be a chance that the buyer may be trying to pull a fast one. with 10fps a 1D4 can easily clock thousands of frames in a day.

    putting that aside, the seller told the buyer that the shutter count for his 1D4 is estimated 25-30k. Buyer come back and tell the seller that the shutter count is 90k. If I am not mistaken 1D4 has expected shutter life of 300k. 30k and 90k is a big difference: 1/10 or 1/3 the expected shutter life. Buyer might felt "cheated", the seller might be innocent as he was not aware of the shutter count when he sold his 1D4. The fact is, the seller told the buyer that the expected shutter count is 30k; unless the seller can prove to the buyer that the shutter count is indeed ~30k thereabout upon transaction...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •