Thread: getting all-in-one lens

Default getting all-in-one lens

i have EF-S18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS but is not able to give me better zoom and lower aperture setting to see the blur effects. i bought EF85mm f/1.8 USM recently but this is mainly for portrait and not wide enough...for newbies, what is a good lens to have and which shop can try those different lenses? i see mostly like no sample for us to test

Default Re: getting all-in-one lens

Quote Originally Posted by zane1 View Post
    i have EF-S18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS but is not able to give me better zoom and lower aperture setting to see the blur effects. i bought EF85mm f/1.8 USM recently but this is mainly for portrait and not wide enough...for newbies, what is a good lens to have and which shop can try those different lenses? i see mostly like no sample for us to test
    Your kit lens covers 18 to 55mm, so from there you can figure out what is the likely focal length you'll be shooting at. If you want more reach and also thin depth of field, can consider 70-200 f/4L or 70-200 f/2.8L (more expensive).
    I think Canon's showroom at Vivocity has the facility to let you test different lenses.
    Exploring! :)

thanks man. i was looking at EF-S18-200mm f/3.5-5.6 IS. budget around there only. f/3.5 is still not low enough for blur effect. tink i may just sell away my EF50mm f/1.4 USM and keep EF85mm f/1.8 USM....

Interchangeable Lens Camera - EF lenses - Canon Singapore - Personal

EF-S17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM this is a good lens if u using non-Full frame camera. it aint cheap thou. 2nd hand around $1100 and above. not sure if Vivocity Showroom will take out lens and let u try thou.

or u can rent it for a day or 2. Camera Rental Centre - Camera / DSLR / Lens / Video / Studio Rental Service in Singapore

thanks man. i was looking at EF-S18-200mm f/3.5-5.6 IS. budget around there only. f/3.5 is still not low enough for blur effect. tink i may just sell away my EF50mm f/1.4 USM and keep EF85mm f/1.8 USM....
    If you're shooting at 18mm, your DOF will be very deep anyway.

If you are shooting at 200mm, at f/5.6, you can blur the background nicely. Depth Of Field is NOT just controlled by aperture. Focal length plays a huge part too.
    Alpha

you don't like 50mm focal length?
    It's your call, in the end. I suppose 85 will see more use on an APS-C camera, as a "head-and-shoulders" portrait lens.
    Not true that f/3.5 doesn't give you a thin depth of field, as Rashkae mentioned. Focal length and camera-subject distance are the other 2 variables that affect depth of field.
    Exploring! :)

Consider the Tamron 18-270 f3.5-6.3 VC. I got mine recently before my honeymoon to Gold Coast in August 2012 and it certainly gave me the flexibility that I needed. Check out the reviews in the forum and see if its what you are looking for. AF is alil slow but, can lah ...
    Last edited by iamodd; 4th September 2012 at 09:58 AM.

do stitching with your 85 mm

yes, regarding the shallow DOF, like the seniors have mentioned here, focal length is a big factor...along with the distance from camera to subject. i get a pretty shallow depth of field (shallow enough, at least!) at the tele end of my 18-55mm lens, at f5.6 - depends on how shallow u want though
    Check out my blog: pixelogist.me

I think you should spend some tome reading about depth of field an the online calculators. Do also change the distance when keeping other factors constant, hope you'll see something. You got a wrong impression about the capabilities of the lenses.
    EOS

Quote Originally Posted by Errz View Post
    Interchangeable Lens Camera - EF lenses - Canon Singapore - Personal

EF-S17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM this is a good lens if u using non-Full frame camera. it aint cheap thou. 2nd hand around $1100 and above. not sure if Vivocity Showroom will take out lens and let u try thou.

or u can rent it for a day or 2. Camera Rental Centre - Camera / DSLR / Lens / Video / Studio Rental Service in Singapore
    I don't think they will let you try a brand new lens, but there's pretty lots of display lens for you to try though

Quote Originally Posted by eleveninth View Post
    do stitching with your 85 mm
    wats stitching?

Quote Originally Posted by zane1

wats stitching?
    Combining 2 or more photos into one