Thread: Choosing a walkabout lens for Canon EOS 7D

Default Choosing a walkabout lens for Canon EOS 7D

Hey guys, just wanna ask for your opinions on whether I should get the Sigma (CanonMount) 17-50mm f2.8 EX DC OS HSM,Canon EFs 17-55mm F/2.8L IS USM or the EF 24-105mm F4L IS USM. Do any of you have any experiences on its pros & cons for each lenses? And if I were to mount the EF 24-105mm F4L IS USM on my Canon EOS 7D, will it's range be too close/limited for general purposes? Thank you so much in advance!

Default Re: Choosing a walkabout lens for Canon EOS 7D

Quote Originally Posted by mcsucram View Post
    Hey guys, just wanna ask for your opinions on whether I should get the Sigma (CanonMount) 17-50mm f2.8 EX DC OS HSM,Canon EFs 17-55mm F/2.8L IS USM or the EF 24-105mm F4L IS USM. Do any of you have any experiences on its pros & cons for each lenses? And if I were to mount the EF 24-105mm F4L IS USM on my Canon EOS 7D, will it's range be too close/limited for general purposes? Thank you so much in advance!
    http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/canon...pped-body.html

read yrself

You should get what you need and what you can afford (unless you have the money to spend without thinking). Define budget, define needs (not wants), read up about the lenses (hint: weight is a considerable factor for walkabout and traveling). Also, there is a good reason why 7D comes with a certain kit lens: it fits most basic requirements. Since you have not mentioned any this could be starting point to think.
    EOS

TS: I will answer your PM here since your questions are typical and do not contain personal information.
    Quote Originally Posted by mcsucram
    Hi Octarine, actually I've already considered to get the 17-55mm but then again 24-105mm has the longer focal length then 17-55mm. Anyway let's say If I mouth a 24-105mm the focal length will change, am I right? But will the 17-55mm focal length change cause afterall it's still a efs lens on aps-c? Thanks in advance.
    First of all let's be precise about terms: focal length is a characteristic of the lens, determined by the glass elements built inside. Mounting to any camera will not change this, the glass remains the very same. 24mm remains 24mm, regardless whether the lens is mounted to a full frame camera or crop sensor cam.
    What changes is the field of view, caused by the smaller sensor. The result gives the impression of a longer focal length, but the physical characteristics of a lens remains unchanged. Some people call it 'crop factor', others 'focal length multiplier'. Here some links for you to read up
    DSLR Magnification
    Full Sized vs. Cropped Sensors
    Coming back to your lenses, you need to know what you need. Just because the 24-105 is longer does not make it a better lens. If you need 20mm but not 85 (for instance), then the 17-55 is the better choice. Also, the 17-55 is an f/2.8 lens, the 24-105 is f/4. The focal range of 17-55 (or thereabout) is used as kit lens for nearly all crop sensor DSLR, whereas the 24-105 is the 'kit lens' for the full frame cameras, (targeted at professionals). Both have roughly the same field of view in wide angle.
    You can combine the 17-55 with 70-200 to extend your focal range, or combine the 24-105 with 10-20. If you require this range ...
    Last edited by Octarine; 5th September 2012 at 08:32 AM.
    EOS

Blog Entries

In the end, no one can tell you what you should get.

You should get what you prefer personally, based on your own needs and your own budget.

They all work, and I can imagine taking excellent pictures with any of your short listed lenses.
    KF Photography
    Thanks for viewing!

agree with the seniors here that all the listed lenses are good and each have their own pros and cons

seems like you just got your 7D, it should come with a lens right? Maybe you would like to share what lens you are using now, why it does not serve your purpose such that you need another lens, so others can advice you better... not just that you suffered a widespread condition called the BBB virus

When in doubt, rent both (17-55 and 24-105) and try. Rental fee for both lens are not very high
    Canon EOS 600D | BBB virus carrier

i had the same confusion sometime ago, rented both lenses and did a apple to apple comparision of images with same settings.
    Finally went in for 24-105. awesome so far!

Quote Originally Posted by mcsucram View Post
    Things to take note. You are using a 7D (crop sensor camera)
    1) 17mm and 24mm on the widest can mean alot different. Like wise 50mm and 105mm on the long end. Think about it. You will be using it not us.
    2) F2.8 or F4.. only you the one behind the camera can answer this.
    3) Whats your budget? Buy the 1 that you can own comfortably.. meaning to say after purchase it wont affect you much. (hope you understand what i mean) If not..by all means..its really your choice

Putting every else things aside such as IQ, Weight, Built etc.
    4) Getting which 1 will make you a happier person? This is very important. Because this usually can cancel off everything i mention above. (Some can even get into debt or loan just to get something they really want...well.. *not advisable though.)