Thread: Rouge Sent

Default Rouge Scent

comments welcomed
    Last edited by hptay; 4th February 2005 at 10:20 PM. Reason: typo

did u use slow shutter speed?

i tot i saw the petals dropping in the background.. there seems to be motion blur from behind.. if there's a lot of petals falling... woohooohooo!

maybe u can try to get the light shining from the bottom of the bottle to be stronger?
    You'll Never Walk Alone! - i have the best job in the world!

yeap. its slow shutter with falling petals. + one more red flash + one more flash on the bottle... but had some problems balancing the background red and the flash for the perfume. This is the best outcome hee hee.

Tried to get more light on the bottle.. background reds get too light. also.. my weenie flash oni 120w oni. hahaha.

if ur room is completely dark, then the slow shutter will not hurt by absorbing too much ambient light.

seems fine for me.

i'll like to have more petals falling.

are u shooting with a white backdrop? is it cloth?

how abt trying to shoot with a few pieces of mahjong paper or a cloth of much thicker material and have the 120flash head flash through the mahjong paper with the red gel on it(meaning u flash from behind the cloth or paper)?

the lighting might be more spectacular.

otherwise, try to flash from the side of the bottle. it'll create a nice shadow on the opp. side of the bottle, i think.

Room was not took dark. afternoon sun but using some material to block out light.
    Good idea to lengthen the shooting time. ^_^~ will remember that.

more petals ah.. hee hee. the florist jack up the price of the @#%@#%! roses..and it was not even some special occassion. $1.50 per rose so didnt want to get too many.. Last time $6 get u a dozen... sigh..

was using the proline tent.. but didnt iron the backdrop flat.. crease lines from the folds. should have made the extra effort.

red gel from the back sound like something to try out btw... where to get gels? i am using al-cheapo celophane paper (those used to make lanterns).

love experimenting with product shots.

Quote Originally Posted by hptay
    Room was not took dark. afternoon sun but using some material to block out light.
    Good idea to lengthen the shooting time. ^_^~ will remember that.

more petals ah.. hee hee. the florist jack up the price of the @#%@#%! roses..and it was not even some special occassion. $1.50 per rose so didnt want to get too many.. Last time $6 get u a dozen... sigh..

was using the proline tent.. but didnt iron the backdrop flat.. crease lines from the folds. should have made the extra effort.

red gel from the back sound like something to try out btw... where to get gels? i am using al-cheapo celophane paper (those used to make lanterns).

love experimenting with product shots.
    u can get gels from CP. i think Ruby stocks them too. gels are a fave with mr.j.
    hahaha

Lee gels are really good and expensive too. i'm not too sure of the price though... =)
    i'm not too sure if the celophanes are a good substitute though. should be ok, i guess, judging from ur results.

why don;t u try shooting without the tent?
    i find the lighting in ur shoot from the tent to be too soft. soft lighting. i think there should be a mixture of hard and soft lighting to really bring out ur product.

yup, the background cloth is noticably wrinkled at some areas. u can try setting up ur own 'shooting table' with mahjong papers or cloth with a smooth gradient and curve from the top to the end of the paper/cloth... alamak, like a graph la... a smooth gradient... hahaha blur liao...

anyway, wat's ur aperture setting like?

u can set it to a smaller f-stop, say from f8 to f11... u'll see a noticably different result in the background.

Yeah. it was after workin with him that I started to play with "gels" (cellophane paper). but for cellophane paper, got to be extra careful. They can melt onto your modelling lamp and bulb will be ruin. need 2-3 layers at least to get decent colours.

Anyway, this was one of my first attempt with props and lightning for product shoot.

The pic was taken at f8. Will vary that next time + longer exposure. gotta play play den know result.

actually, there was a snoot pointed on the bottle which was not blocked by the tent... but haha, from what u say, then the result surely not good enough liao.

Without the red gel, lightning was more harsh. but with the gel, the light seems to fill the dark areas. will post 2 more pics to show u what i mean. Think i got the gel flash in either the wrong position or too strong..

ok...

try to post it soon! =)

Without "Gel"

With "Gel"

These are the initial test shots, with and without the gel light. Something i learn is that the darker the shadow is in the initial shot, the more intense the red is when using gel.

heh... funny it seems but i like the first trial shot. less the background.

it seems to cut off the bottle. haha

the lighting seems fine to me. however if u can get more light into the bottle? wonder wat's the outcome..
    if only the perfume is coloured! keke

the problem is that the tent is limiting this product. the length for the product to the background is quite narrow and small. thus, u see the 'hard-cutting off' of the product and the curve of the tent. can try moving the product closer to the lens?

i think u'll need a few more experiment with wat ur flash heads can do.

alot has to do with ur aperture control. luckily u're using digital and thus can experiment and lick up from ur mistake.

haha.. will definately try harder. thanks for all your critiques ^_^~
    looks like its time to hit the library again for more lighting books.

jus some suggestions la...

hopefully they can be of aid to u?

all the best ah!

maybe i'll get to see more of ur photos soon!

of course got help
    always happy to get suggestions/tips from fellow photographers. Like that then can learn mah. Rather than dwell in the same old things/techniques, i feel that critiques are the best way to position urself from another person's perspective.

PS: baby pic posted at protraiture.

post more of the product shot... soon!

p.s. just seen ur son's pics. hahaha

a bundle of nerves and joy, he must have been!

Lightbulb

choice of background can be improved. use white perspex and curl it up at the far end. for cheaper alternative, use creme or near white 'silk'(those shiny cloth material, typically worn by malay women here.)

show less of foreground and more of the background after you have tidied it up. use large white reflector to create vertical highlights on the bottle.

hi reachme,

for the white perspex, do you mean to curl it similar a L shape from the side view?I am not too sure what is meant by vertical highlights. is the reflected light supposed to give some accent to the edges of the bottle? thanks

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by hptay
    hi reachme,

for the white perspex, do you mean to curl it similar a L shape from the side view?I am not too sure what is meant by vertical highlights. is the reflected light supposed to give some accent to the edges of the bottle? thanks
    the curl will look like 'J' rather than 'L'(which is 90 degree bend). the vertical highlights on the bottle, the position of which will depend where the reflector is relative to the product. the best way to see highlights is through your viewfinder while you move the reflector, usually very close to the product but out of view of shot.

for an example of vertical highlight, look at my shot 'perfume in a bottle', you will see it on the right hand side of the transparent cap.
    Last edited by reachme2003; 5th February 2005 at 04:03 PM.