View Poll Results: Who still shoot Slide Film?

Voters
310. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I am still shooting slides mainly (35mm)

    74 23.87%
  • Yes, I am still shooting slides mainly (MF/LF)

    26 8.39%
  • Yes, but negative is my main

    48 15.48%
  • Yes, but DSLR is my main

    106 34.19%
  • Yes, only on my compact

    4 1.29%
  • No, I use digital compact

    5 1.61%
  • No, I use DSLR

    44 14.19%
  • No, I use MF/LF digital backs

    3 0.97%
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
Results 81 to 100 of 177

Thread: Who still shoot Slide Film here?

  1. #81

    Default Re: Who still shoot Slide Film here?

    Quote Originally Posted by ricohflex
    The Best Is Yet To Be
    -----------

    You from my old school ?
    Both of you from my old school?

  2. #82

    Default Re: Who still shoot Slide Film here?

    Quote Originally Posted by behyx
    Got a question to ask here:

    if i want to take some film pictures, but i don't know whether my future usage will be print or scan, should i go for negative or slides? AFAIK, slides to prints are very expensive.
    I would recommend using trans for drum scannning. As you might not know when you will be needing to print your images again, i personally feel that it would be a better idea to digitised the pictures. Apart from that, you would have the option to print on whatever medium you wish later on.

  3. #83

    Default Re: Who still shoot Slide Film here?

    Quote Originally Posted by Skye Tan
    I would recommend using trans for drum scannning. As you might not know when you will be needing to print your images again, i personally feel that it would be a better idea to digitised the pictures. Apart from that, you would have the option to print on whatever medium you wish later on.
    However, if those films are part of a stock collection, should i still shoot with neg? Or maybe slides?

    By the way, if i'm going to a country in spring/winter time, when the landscape lacks a lot of colorful tones, and it'll be probably cloudy most of the time, should i still use saturated films like velvia? or which one should i go for?

  4. #84

    Default Re: Who still shoot Slide Film here?

    Quote Originally Posted by behyx
    However, if those films are part of a stock collection, should i still shoot with neg? Or maybe slides?

    By the way, if i'm going to a country in spring/winter time, when the landscape lacks a lot of colorful tones, and it'll be probably cloudy most of the time, should i still use saturated films like velvia? or which one should i go for?
    Films be it negs or trans(slides) comes in batches. It is still okay to use different batches of films if consistency is not crucial in the project. However i guess negative is less prone to differences in batches as the printer would have to adjust the colours during printing anyway.

    But on trans, batches can be crucial when it comes to commercial project. But if you are taking it for leisure, the differences might not be significant.

    As I'm not a landscape photographer so probably I can't really answer you to which is a better choice. However, trans would be good if you want colours accuracy to what you see. As negatives can be adjusted easily, sometimes you don't really get the accurate colour as the printer might adjust it base on his personal preference.

  5. #85

    Default Re: Who still shoot Slide Film here?

    Thanks Skye for your reply,

    I think you misunderstood my meaning of 'stock'.. What i meant is the commercial stock photography, eg: gettyimages. Better to give/show them neg or slides?

  6. #86

    Default Re: Who still shoot Slide Film here?

    Quote Originally Posted by behyx
    Thanks Skye for your reply,

    I think you misunderstood my meaning of 'stock'.. What i meant is the commercial stock photography, eg: gettyimages. Better to give/show them neg or slides?

    hmm.. I have yet work with a stock images company. But from what I know from some resources, they will except images (including prints) if the quality of the image is good. So I don't think is is an issue. I would however advise you to check from the stock company to understand clearly their work flow.

  7. #87
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Woodlands
    Posts
    464

    Default Re: Who still shoot Slide Film here?

    Quote Originally Posted by Skye Tan
    I would recommend using trans for drum scannning. As you might not know when you will be needing to print your images again, i personally feel that it would be a better idea to digitised the pictures. Apart from that, you would have the option to print on whatever medium you wish later on.
    Hi Skye Tan, have any recommendation for a good drum scanning sevice in Singapore? And how is the cost of drum scanning per slide. Thanks.

  8. #88

    Default Re: Who still shoot Slide Film here?

    Can try Kex, hes using an Imacon drum scanner I think. Its $3 per slide for a hi-res scan.

    http://forums.clubsnap.org/showthread.php?t=145951

  9. #89
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Woodlands
    Posts
    464

    Default Re: Who still shoot Slide Film here?

    Quote Originally Posted by n0d3
    Can try Kex, hes using an Imacon drum scanner I think. Its $3 per slide for a hi-res scan.

    http://forums.clubsnap.org/showthread.php?t=145951
    Hi n0d3, Thanks for your info!

  10. #90
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    sg - bukit ho swee
    Posts
    1,363

    Default Re: Who still shoot Slide Film here?

    maye be u can calculate your own payback economic.

    4000$ DSLR plus accesories with ~1000$/yr or so depreciation rate for 4~6yr life = how may roll of film or shot equivalent.

    if 1roll slide ~ 10$. if u going to shot less than 100roll per yr, better go for conventional SLR. dun count the machine-gun like shot.. proper shoot and decent pix.. u can add on a scanner to convert into digital if needed, cheaper to print too.

    SLR hardly deprec, u could buy and resell at almost the same value if u buy 2nd hand and take good care. i think with leica, maybe u get extra value after many yr.

    DSLR is technologically driven, u have no choice... aka boo pian. there is hardly any residual value with digital after a few yrs.... anybody still pay for pentium 1 or 286? with mechanical SLR u can keep the camera for longevity...

    i do less than 100rolls per yr..therefore i'm on the mechanical SLR.

  11. #91

    Default Re: Who still shoot Slide Film here?

    I shot both film (slides and neg) and digital for my recent Kashmir trip.

    Do note that even film has its own color cast, if you want proper color you still need to eyeball it in PS at later stage.

  12. #92
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Katong
    Posts
    782

    Default Re: Who still shoot Slide Film here?

    Quote Originally Posted by boochap
    maye be u can calculate your own payback economic.

    4000$ DSLR plus accesories with ~1000$/yr or so depreciation rate for 4~6yr life = how may roll of film or shot equivalent.

    if 1roll slide ~ 10$. if u going to shot less than 100roll per yr, better go for conventional SLR. dun count the machine-gun like shot.. proper shoot and decent pix.. u can add on a scanner to convert into digital if needed, cheaper to print too.

    SLR hardly deprec, u could buy and resell at almost the same value if u buy 2nd hand and take good care. i think with leica, maybe u get extra value after many yr.

    DSLR is technologically driven, u have no choice... aka boo pian. there is hardly any residual value with digital after a few yrs.... anybody still pay for pentium 1 or 286? with mechanical SLR u can keep the camera for longevity...

    i do less than 100rolls per yr..therefore i'm on the mechanical SLR.
    Good point of view.......... I still shoot most things I care for in film, except that digital is so convenient.....In the end, end up having 2 systems.

  13. #93

    Default Re: Who still shoot Slide Film here?

    I still shoot slide film. I think its a challenge to shoot on slides. The colours are just so beautiful, when you get the settings right. The final result cannot be denied, cannot cheat. To me, it's like a real physical proof of portfolio. If it's good, it's good, it not then down the wastepaper basket.

  14. #94

    Default Re: Who still shoot Slide Film here?

    I only shoot on Fujifilm Velvia on my Fujifilm TX-2 (xPan equivalent). Have never loaded it with any other films since i bought it, but then again it's exactly my primary camera.

  15. #95

    Default Re: Who still shoot Slide Film here?

    I think the more interesting question is, who still projects slides here!

  16. #96
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Outside the Dry Box.
    Posts
    16,268

    Default Re: Who still shoot Slide Film here?

    Quote Originally Posted by waileong View Post
    I think the more interesting question is, who still projects slides here!
    me me...

    on the wall...
    Logging Off. "You have 2,631 messages stored, of a total 400 allowed." don't PM me.

  17. #97

    Default Re: Who still shoot Slide Film here?

    I just shot 2 rolls of slides for my school open house with help from my senior who handled the developing

    Quite fun... but it really makes me more cautious than using digital
    1D MkIII, 5D MkII 16-200 2.8L, 35L, 50L, 135L
    View my flickr

  18. #98

    Default Re: Who still shoot Slide Film here?

    Still use positives! Mainly Provia. Use it on my rangefinders. Love the colours from slides but its a REAL pain to scan them after. Much easier to copy from a compact flash card!!

  19. #99
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    State of Confusion
    Posts
    2,196

    Question Re: Who still shoot Slide Film here?

    Where is a good place to get 35mm slide film these days? A bit harder to find now.
    Sony Alpha system user. www.pbase.com/synapseman

  20. #100

    Default Re: Who still shoot Slide Film here?

    recently, i bought 10 rolls of sensia 100 at konata for $70. discount $9.

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •