View Poll Results: Who still shoot Slide Film?

Voters
310. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I am still shooting slides mainly (35mm)

74 23.87%
  • Yes, I am still shooting slides mainly (MF/LF)

26 8.39%
  • Yes, but negative is my main

48 15.48%
  • Yes, but DSLR is my main

106 34.19%
  • Yes, only on my compact

4 1.29%
  • No, I use digital compact

5 1.61%
  • No, I use DSLR

44 14.19%
  • No, I use MF/LF digital backs

3 0.97%
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 12347 ... LastLast

Thread: Who still shoot Slide Film here?

Quote Originally Posted by fuzzy
    Oh my... I didn't know about colour loss.

by the way, can velvia 50 take long exposures? I heard about some effects about long exposure on velvia but have no idea what it is.
    With any color film making long exposures you have reciprocity effect. What that means is that as the exposure lengthens the film becomes less sensitive to light and you have to compensate for it. Each film has a different reciprocity value and you need to check with teh manufacturer. The problem is that you are faced with a law of diminishing returns. The longer the exposure, the more time you add to the exposure which adds to reciprocity failure. Kinda catch 22.

But, it depends on what you mean by "long exposure". If you mean a second, maybe 5 second exposure, add an extra stop ( for slide subtract a stop. bracket till you have a feel for your camera film combo. if you are talking about 30 sec, 1 minute or more then you have to do the math. I routinely shoot 1/2 to 8 second times and don't change the exposure.

Of course you can always shoot B&W and colorize it in PS http://forums.clubsnap.org/newreply....ply&p=1083998#
    Wink

Quite a number, but I am sure there are those who are not interested at all in slide film.

Bump for others to see.

Interesting.... I've never shot slides before as I mainly shoot digital. But I've shot with negatives sometimes and already find the colours better than digital in general. But I've been hearing alot of good stuff about slides.

How much does it cost per 4R taking also into consideration the film & developing costs?

Quote Originally Posted by superdave
    Interesting.... I've never shot slides before as I mainly shoot digital. But I've shot with negatives sometimes and already find the colours better than digital in general. But I've been hearing alot of good stuff about slides.

How much does it cost per 4R taking also into consideration the film & developing costs?
    You don't print slides ...... and in the event you do, you are better off printing negative.

The price for a Provia si about $13.80
    Developing is about $6.00
    Printing is about $1 per 4R

Some prices I knew recently:

Sensia 100 (consumer slide): $6.50
    Velvia 50 (Pro): $8.xx
    Provia 100F (Pro): $8.70
    Provia 400F (Pro): $11.80
    EliteChrome (Consumer): $8.70

Developing is $4.20/$6.30 (w/ & w/o mount) at Ruby Photo and $6.30/$9 at FotoHub at Beach Road (former RGB Color).

The only way to print slides now in Singapore is through scanning on machines and printed digitally. The cheapest for 4R is at Grace, but at KT Imaging it is about 60cents. But if I really want to print a nice picture from slide it will be scanned using a higher end scanner or drum scan, probably a few bucls to scan and print 4R. There is no way to print slides direct from the slide to the paper in Singapore now, sad to say.

prices for the slides sound cheap!

Cheap? I just got some Sensia 100 for $3 bucks per roll, but they are to expire by June/July this year... so

been using s2pro since launching for wedding. still have about 15-20 rolls of velvia in the fridge, will be topping-up in a week or two.......
    slides still tickles me ....... rock on. . .

Quote Originally Posted by theITguy
    Cheap? I just got some Sensia 100 for $3 bucks per roll, but they are to expire by June/July this year... so
    where did u get it ?
    Panasonic G3 | Minolta X700 | Minolta X370 | Pentax Asahi Spotmatic | Pratika MTL 3 | Panasonic Lx3

Quote Originally Posted by Fundee
    been using s2pro since launching for wedding. still have about 15-20 rolls of velvia in the fridge, will be topping-up in a week or two.......
    slides still tickles me ....... rock on. . .

NOoooooo I want Velvia 50!!!! Nevermind I will get my sister to buy a few tins when she goes to HK in March

Default slides

used to use provia 100. but after tryin out the legandary blue film(velvia 50), never looked back. only for stuff like weddings, events i use 200/400 negs. no digitals for me. computer dummy la...

Eventhough I have a digi, shoot mainly w provia 100.

Btw, any tips for scanning w Nikon CoolScan5000ED? Colours and sharpness not coming thru even w all autofocus and digi-ice options.

JT1:

Hi, I believe some people make the profiles for certain films for different scanners. You might want to try looking, pay a bit ($100+/-? Since you already got the 5000) and get better results. I am not sure if The Aldephi there still got the shop where they rent out the Nikon 8000 $12 per hour for scanning or not. Also can try there

Slides still look better, anytime!!

Now Im finding a great place to use my Velvia100

Provia F rules! Can't vote, but I shoot slides and scan them with my Minolta Dimage Scan Multi PRO. Willing to convert, but 1Ds Mark II is just too expensive for now. 20D is not good enough for me even with upsampling software.

Would any moderator or the admin explain why some cannot vote?

Anyway, I would really like to form a small group of slide shooters so that we can share our experience or cost in bulk rolling or we bring in slide films that are not easily available in Singapore when someone happens to go to USA/HK/Japan that he can buy for us instead of waiting for stock to come into SG.

To the Admins:
    I am not trying to pull away the members but to form a rather niche group catering to people who are interested more in slide than digital.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by theITguy
    Would any moderator or the admin explain why some cannot vote?

Anyway, I would really like to form a small group of slide shooters so that we can share our experience or cost in bulk rolling or we bring in slide films that are not easily available in Singapore when someone happens to go to USA/HK/Japan that he can buy for us instead of waiting for stock to come into SG.

To the Admins:
    I am not trying to pull away the members but to form a rather niche group catering to people who are interested more in slide than digital.
    think its some script dats built into the poll. i think some mod once mentioned a CSer must reach a certain number of posts b4 he/she can start a poll or vote.

anyway, back to topic. i just started re-learning how to shoot film and begin to dabble in slide. yeah... slides' colours are but... wow... very very unforgiving. goes to show how lousy a photog i am.

theITguy - do let us know if a slide interest grp is gonna start, yah?
    If Life worked on auto mode then manual mode for photography would have never existed. ― Deeksha Mittal

Will love to join fellow slides users if there is such a niche group formed!

Btw, i think u will need more than 50 posts b4 u can vote.

i love Provia 100F and Velvia 50!

Must plan plan first. Maybe we can organise a meeting for a few person to gather ideas. I am not that experience in film (learning newbie), but I like to further myself in slide film in the near future. Will let you guys know in the next few days what I am planning.

I have proposed a mini gathering for slide users, please do come if you are interested to know more.

http://forums.clubsnap.org/showthread.php?p=1093699

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 12347 ... LastLast