Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Prime Lenses Suggestions for 10 Day Trip to Melbourne in October!

Blog Entries

Default Re: Prime Lenses Suggestions for 10 Day Trip to Melbourne in October!

Quote Originally Posted by ortega View Post
    i would bring

17 mm

35 mm

60 mm macro
    ditto ditto above + tripod
    shaddap and just shoot .... up close
    Walkeast

Personally, I'd use 15,31,77mm (can vary a bit since I have a few like focal length lenses)

The purpose/coverage of the lenses is usually the same :
    UWA - large/wide places; environmental portraits
    'normal' - For most stuff
    short tele - shallow DOF stuff; Portraits; candids with further working distance, long distance landscapes.

From what you have 20, 35, 85 though I think the 20 is too narrow a FOV for some wide scenes where you can't step back any more.
    So perhaps a 10-20mm, 35, 85 and it should be good to go.

I usually have either a teleconverter or 25mm of extension tube in case I ever need close-ups of small stuff ("just in case")
    Tripod is a must.
    Flash is not often used (for me at least).
    I'd certainly not bring 2 flashes.
    Last edited by pinholecam; 8th September 2012 at 07:58 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by karnage
    Dear travellers!

I posted this on the Travel Sub-forum but haven't gotten a reply. I suppose more people view this sub-forum than that, so, apologies for the repetition.

I will be making a trip to Melbourne in October, and I'm travelling with a group of 5 other friends. We will be self-driving around the state of Victoria, but less so on the eastern side. 60% of the days would be spent in the city though, for the culture.

I was wondering what lenses I should bring. I'm mainly a prime lens shooter, so I haven't got many zooms. The only working ones I have are a Nikon 24-85mm, Sigma 50-500mm... and... hmm... that's it.

I have primes ranging from 8mm all the way to 135mm though, and I thought of bringing the following setup:

- D300
    - 20mm f2.8D (my widest lens apart from the fisheye 8mm)
    - 50mm f1.4D
    - considering buying a 200mm f4 AIS.
    - also considering buying a Samyang 14mm f2.8

I guess I want to shoot landscapes, especially the Great Ocean Road (20mm and 200mm) but I also want to take pictures of myself and my friends on a holiday (20mm and 50mm). I'm leaving out my 85mm f1.4D because I feel that I won't be using that much since the 50mm would do decently for group and individual portraits.

Apart from what I wanna bring, I have the following lenses as well, so if you think you would bring them, please suggest reasons. =)

- 8mm fisheye
    - 20mm f1.8D Sigma
    - 35mm f1.4 AIS
    - 35mm f2D
    - 50mm f1.8E
    - 50mm f1.2 AIS
    - 55mm f2.8 AIS Micro
    - 85mm f2 AIS
    - 85mm f1.4D
    - 100mm f2.8D Macro Tokina
    - 135mm f2.8E
    - 80-200mm f2.8 AFS (but the AF is spoilt for now)

I will bring a tripod and 2 x SB-30s with RF triggers, coz I think an SB600 or SB800 is too bulky.

What do you guys think/suggest?
    What I will bring...
    8mm/3.5
    11-16mm/2.8
    30mm/1.4
    16-50Mm /2.8
    70-200Mm/2.8
    Last edited by ataraxist; 9th September 2012 at 09:38 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by yyD70S View Post
    You are on self drive, so an all primes set up is feasible; save for those opportunist moments. On your D300, I would suggest 20mm, 35mm, 135mm for a 3 lens setup and include an 85mm for a four lens setup.

The 20mm and the 135mm would be needed for the GOR. I regretted not having a longer focal length to "zoom in" on the "Apostles".

35mm would be enough for the city streets and environmental (portrait) shots! 85mm focal length would give you good close up architectural details of say (e.g.) the Flinders Street Station, St. Paul's Cathedral, etc.

I don't use flash but it's useful for night "portrait / group photos" during those twilight hours with the city skyline on either side of the Yarra River.

Tripod IS A MUST! No problem since you are on a self-drive.

Cheers! And wish you an enjoyable trip. And don't missed out on their "coffee".

P.S. By the way, if you need more info on Melbourne and the outskirts, there's an excellent thread in "Kopitiam" ~ Clubsnappers in Melbourne. Those lovely guys are extremely helpful!
    Thanks yyD70S for your input. I agree that us self-driving frees me up quite abit and gives me more flexibility with my equipment. Having said that, I know I will need to take note of baggage limits for both the airline as well as my back. Haha! Sounds like what you suggested is pretty much what I imagined so far...

Quote Originally Posted by pinholecam View Post
    Tripod is a must.
    Flash is not often used (for me at least).
    I'd certainly not bring 2 flashes.
    Yep! Definitely bringing tripod. And well, these 2 flashes are tiny. They use CR123A batteries. The 2 of them combined is even less weight and volume than one SB600.

Quote Originally Posted by ataraxist View Post
    What I will bring...
    8mm/3.5
    11-16mm/2.8
    30mm/1.4
    16-50Mm /2.8
    70-200Mm/2.8
    Hi ataraxist, thanks for your input too! But I doubt I would go for a 70-200. Too heavy and bulky. I don't think I'd need a fast tele since I don't see myself using the tele end for anything other than scenery, which will be on tripod.

Thanks all for your contribution and suggestions! Keep 'em coming if you have more!
    incywincyspider climbup the waterspout...

i using 21mm and 135mm (not very often with this lens) when comes to landscape.

Don't forget the wildlife. A telezoom will be useful for the kangeroos, koala, wombat, emu, penguins, etc.

first thing first: are your other friends photographers too?

if they are and the purpose of this trip is to take as many photo as possible, then go ahead bring anything and everything!
    if they are there as normal tourists, then they wont want to wait for you to switch lens, setup tripod, flash, do long exposure and other stuffs.
    non-photographer see those things as time-waster, they rather move on to next location or activity.

so know your group priority first, travelling with friends may not be as pleasant as it seems if expectations are not aligned.

if they are non-photographer, i would suggest 17-55mm or 18-200mm plus a 35mm prime.
    Last edited by Alan Chan; 14th September 2012 at 04:41 PM.
    Nikon D700| 70-200mm f/2.8G VR2| 28-70mm f/2.8D| 85mm f/1.8G| 50mm f/1.8G| SB900/SB28| MB-D10

KOn full frame One Wide angle 24mm, 50mm and 100mm. Convert to crop sensor 17mm, 35, and 85mm. To help you, sell me your 35mm AIS and 85mm AIS - more pocket money to spend. Victoria is a beautiful state. Enjoy!

Quote Originally Posted by ManWearPants View Post
    Don't forget the wildlife. A telezoom will be useful for the kangeroos, koala, wombat, emu, penguins, etc.
    Yup! Wildlife too. But I still don't think I'd need a zoom. Just a tele. =)

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Chan View Post
    first thing first: are your other friends photographers too?

if they are and the purpose of this trip is to take as many photo as possible, then go ahead bring anything and everything!
    if they are there as normal tourists, then they wont want to wait for you to switch lens, setup tripod, flash, do long exposure and other stuffs.
    non-photographer see those things as time-waster, they rather move on to next location or activity.

so know your group priority first, travelling with friends may not be as pleasant as it seems if expectations are not aligned.

if they are non-photographer, i would suggest 17-55mm or 18-200mm plus a 35mm prime.
    Hi Alan, indeed, good points to note. However, this group I'm going with are really very free and easy. I've been with them to Phuket once, and well, since there's not much scenery where we were, most of our shots were of ourselves, and I'd say 70% of our holiday was taken with a 50mm f1.4 on my D300.

Anyways, I believe they're ok to let me get my photos. No worries there. =) Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by magicdragon View Post
    KOn full frame One Wide angle 24mm, 50mm and 100mm. Convert to crop sensor 17mm, 35, and 85mm. To help you, sell me your 35mm AIS and 85mm AIS - more pocket money to spend. Victoria is a beautiful state. Enjoy!
    Hahaha! You want to buy my 35mm f1.4? Let me PM you about that. But I'm afraid I'd like to keep my 85mm f2. It's such a tiny lens! I love it!

Quote Originally Posted by karnage View Post
    Hi Alan, indeed, good points to note. However, this group I'm going with are really very free and easy. I've been with them to Phuket once, and well, since there's not much scenery where we were, most of our shots were of ourselves, and I'd say 70% of our holiday was taken with a 50mm f1.4 on my D300.

Anyways, I believe they're ok to let me get my photos. No worries there. =) Thanks!
    slight different in expectation between the two locations. Phuket is a cheap vacation spot as compared to Melbourne, so i'm sure you guys want to optimise the time spent in such a huge vibrant city. when i was there really had no time to take picture as there's just so much things to do and places to visit. if your group is first-timer there you will be overwhelmed. just something you should note, plans are just plans, things can change rapidly if its your first time to set foot there.

anyway, check out these locations:
    - Eureka Skydeck 88
    - Queen Victoria Market
    - Melbourne Zoo
    - Melbourne Aquarium

enjoy!
    Nikon D700| 70-200mm f/2.8G VR2| 28-70mm f/2.8D| 85mm f/1.8G| 50mm f/1.8G| SB900/SB28| MB-D10

Quote Originally Posted by harnamsc View Post
    Hmmm, how come so many people coming to Melbourne nowadays?
    My 1st trip in July was a pleasant one! My experience shooting the great ocean road was primarily with my 70-200 zoom attached for koala & kookaburra spotting. This also was what i shot at the 12 apostles to isolate and frame down the coast with. Hence it was cold that day with Antarctica winds so didn't stay with tripod etc. Visited the MCC grounds for a footy game, no camera brought. Victoria market for an afternoon of shots was with my 50mm, though a 35 would be nice. Street shots around the city of the world class graffiti was with my 50mm as well. A wine tour day was spent shooting with my 24-70 zoom. Landscape and food photos.

My suggestion would be 20mm, a 50mm and your 80-200 zoom. Pleasant city to visit for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Chan View Post
    very true... i went melbourne last late april with a photographer friend and a non photographer friend... this non photographer friend face black black waiting for us :x

Thanks very much for all your comments and suggestions, people.

I think I have narrowed down to bringing the following:

- D300
    - 14mm f2.8
    - 35mm f2 OR 50mm f1.4
    - 200mm f4
    - tripod
    - 2 x SB30 + radio triggers (these items would probably take up less space than the 14mm)

Still contemplating about an 8mm fisheye and a 100mm macro.

Now I start to think about bags. I have a Flipside 400AW, but I think that's overkill for what I'm bringing. I'm gonna go to the shops to have a look some time this week, but I imagine something like a Fastpack 200 or 250, or a Kata 3N1-20 would do nicely for my gear and some snacks or stuff...

What say you?

Quote Originally Posted by karnage View Post
    Thanks very much for all your comments and suggestions, people.

I think I have narrowed down to bringing the following:

- D300
    - 14mm f2.8
    - 35mm f2 OR 50mm f1.4
    - 200mm f4
    - tripod
    - 2 x SB30 + radio triggers (these items would probably take up less space than the 14mm)

Still contemplating about an 8mm fisheye and a 100mm macro.

Now I start to think about bags. I have a Flipside 400AW, but I think that's overkill for what I'm bringing. I'm gonna go to the shops to have a look some time this week, but I imagine something like a Fastpack 200 or 250, or a Kata 3N1-20 would do nicely for my gear and some snacks or stuff...

What say you?
    are u going to do self drive tour or with tour group... if tour group, u can reduce your load by half cos i doubt u have so much time to utilise all your equipments.

Quote Originally Posted by sinned79 View Post
    are u going to do self drive tour or with tour group... if tour group, u can reduce your load by half cos i doubt u have so much time to utilise all your equipments.
    yes agreed. if tour group you MUST reduce, just take one flash forget about trigger. actually even if self-drive are you sure you will be doing location portrait?

Quote Originally Posted by daredevil123 View Post
    Buy a zoom for the trip. End of story.
    Yes, bring a cheap consumer zoom.

Or use camera phone. Free and easy no hassle.
    WTB Manfrotto RC4 L Bracket

Oh, no no, we're doing self-drive. And the 2 small flashes are more for night portraits around the city. I figured they're so small I might as well just pop them in. Haha!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12