Thread: CompactFlash Type I/II....wats the diff?

Default CompactFlash Type I/II....wats the diff?

Yup, would like to noe the difference.
    Lookin into buying a pda which can use the kingston 1gb cf card i already have, anybody with experience?
    Some of the specs for pda says it supports onli cf type II, so i am abit confused whether the cf type I can be used.

Appreciate any info on this matter, thanz in advance.

Quote Originally Posted by hazekang
    Yup, would like to noe the difference.
    Lookin into buying a pda which can use the kingston 1gb cf card i already have, anybody with experience?
    Some of the specs for pda says it supports onli cf type II, so i am abit confused whether the cf type I can be used.

Appreciate any info on this matter, thanz in advance.

At 43mm (1.7") x 36mm (1.4") x 3.3mm (0.13"), the CF Type I card's thickness is less than one-half of a current PCMCIA Type II card. It is actually one-fourth the volume of a PCMCIA card. Compared to a 68-pin PCMCIA card, a CF card has 50 pins but still conforms to ATA specs. It can be easily slipped into a passive 68-pin PCMCIA Type II to CF Type I adapter that fully meets PCMCIA electrical and mechanical interface specifications.

At 43mm (1.7") x 36mm (1.4") x 5mm (0.19"), the CF Type II card's thickness is equal to a current PCMCIA Type II card. It is actually less than one-half the volume of a PCMCIA card. Compared to a 68-pin PCMCIA card, a CF card has 50 pins but still conforms to ATA specs. It can be easily slipped into a passive 68-pin PCMCIA Type II to CF Type II adapter that fully meets PCMCIA electrical and mechanical interface specifications.

The only difference between CF Type I and CF Type II cards is the card thickness. CF Type I is 3.3 mm thick and CF Type II cards are 5mm thick. A CF Type I card will operate in a CF Type I or CF Type II slot. A CF Type II card will only fit in a CF Type II slot. The electrical interfaces are identical. CompactFlash is available in both CF Type I and CF Type II cards, though predominantly in CF Type I cards. The Microdrive is a CF Type II card. Most CF I/O cards are CF Type I, but there are some CF Type II I/O cards.

Hope that clears things up for you.

thanz to sammy888 for the info!

so means that if the specs for the pda says type II compatible, then type I cards can also be used on it?

Quote Originally Posted by hazekang
    thanz to sammy888 for the info!

so means that if the specs for the pda says type II compatible, then type I cards can also be used on it?

Yes you can but there will be a slight gap as you can see the difference being that thickness of the card.

And you still should go and test it out too. LIke with our digital camera sometime for one reason or another certain BRAND of CF don't work well or not at all. I am not sure about in your case with PDAs. I use a Sony CLIE NZ90 which has a CF slot which although was not mean to use with a CF memory card but with a software to work around it, I could get it to work with my Samsung 1gig CFII card but when I try to use another brands which belong to a friend of mine..it crash my PDA and did not recover

For the gap, you might want to try to those very thick double sided tape to cover up. If you have a lot of spare SD cards lying a round, you can get one of those SD to CF adaptor. It is the size of CF Type 2 and the SD card is inserted fully.

Cheers
    John

thanz for the really useful advice, no sd cards though, onli a few small capacity cf cards. thats y gota get a pda with cf slot...

hope my 1st pay from industrial attachment comes soon