Thread: Tripods and Airport Security

Exclamation Tripods and Airport Security

Hey guys, do they stil allow people to carry their tripods as part of their carry-on baggage or must I pack it in my checked baggage nowadays?Please help, im flying off to OZ in a few hours.Thanks
    Last edited by LazerLordz; 4th February 2005 at 09:57 AM.
    We live in an age when unnecessary things are our only necessities. - Oscar Wilde

if u carry those 'not so long' kind like a manfrotto 190, den with a tripod bag is ok, if anything longer might have a problem of putting into the luggage compartment on the plane.
    Logging Off. "You have 2,631 messages stored, of a total 400 allowed." don't PM me.

Quote Originally Posted by LazerLordz
    Hey guys, do they stil allow people to carry their tripods as part of their carry-on baggage or must I pack it in my checked baggage nowadays?Please help, im flying off to OZ in a few hours.Thanks
    You can ask the people there..
    I did carry my tripod, Manfrotto 190 with no tripod bag as part of my carry in baggage onto Qantas, Air Nz and Emirates Airlines with no problem.
    But ask them beforehand in case policy changes

Okay.My tripod is not so pro as a Manfrotto.Hehe, it's only a small one, about abdomen high when extended and elbow length when stowed.It fits in my Deuter backpack's side pocket, so it shouldn't be of any problem right?

Btw, when was the time you brought your tripod on the plane?I'm taking Valuair fyi..
    We live in an age when unnecessary things are our only necessities. - Oscar Wilde

Okay.My tripod is not so pro as a Manfrotto.Hehe, it's only a small one, about abdomen high when extended and elbow length when stowed.It fits in my Deuter backpack's side pocket, so it shouldn't be of any problem right?

Btw, when was the time you brought your tripod on the plane?I'm taking Valuair fyi..
    last november... shouldn't have a problem unless your tripod can transform into some kind of "weapon"

Deregistered

Not unless it is disguise as a submachine gun. Hee Hee. No worries about that I lugged 20kg of my cameras and gear with me the last time I was in Oz

Deregistered

I lugged a Gitzo 1128 with a ballhead in a haversack last Aug up SIA & in a plastic bag up NW.

No issues.

I carried my Gitzo in a tripod bag as carry-on luggage for my last trip, but only flew on Malaysian Airlines and AirAsia. Didn't encounter any problems even though the tripod is quite large

Many thanks guys.Usually I travel light, but since this time round, there's the Perth International Arts Festival that coincided with my trip there for CNY , so I thought of packing my tripod. Might put up some shots when i come back.

Quote Originally Posted by tommon
    Not unless it is disguise as a submachine gun. Hee Hee. No worries about that I lugged 20kg of my cameras and gear with me the last time I was in Oz
    a 055 with a 322RC2 may look like a disguised 3 barrel machine gun liao...
    Logging Off. "You have 2,631 messages stored, of a total 400 allowed." don't PM me.

Quote Originally Posted by Del_CtrlnoAlt
    a 055 with a 322RC2 may look like a disguised 3 barrel machine gun liao...
    A SAW MK3 with a very clean sheen

off topic, once i carried a vernier caliper in my backpack, they took it away from me and asked me to collect it back from a counter at the destination airport once i reached there...

Perhaps a vernier caliper is easily concealed and pose a surprise threat?

A lot depends on the size and the attitude of the airport staff.

I am quite sure a small table top tripod will not be a problem. But my Gitzo 1325 with an Arca Swiss goes into my suitcase as checked in.

Anything in between is your luck!

Perhaps a vernier caliper is easily concealed and pose a surprise threat?
    Nope. Cos its fits the description of a "Sharp object" as required by regulations.

Most of the time, I'd put it into a tripod bag, and attached it to my haversack. Sometimes I hand carry it. Both ways shouldn't be a prob but I would recommend a tripod bag at least.

Adams

OT my sister is also coming to Singapore for CNY